Chapter Nine

A guest's entrance into a large house was one of calm welcome. Footmen took charge of luggage, which maids then unpacked if the lady arriving had not brought a personal attendant of her own. Tea was on hand in the kitchen in case the new arrivals were in need of some refreshment after their journey.

All of this went on without any assistance from me. I could hear the footmen and maids passing through the hallways as I went about my own work. In a smaller house, I may have been required to see to the needs of the lady guests, which would have been an interesting though unwelcome experience.

By the time evening fell and Lady Leith returned to the dressing room, the majority of the guests had arrived. "The Reynolds, the Williamsons, and the Carters are settled in their rooms," the lady said as she entered. "I expect Colonel Goodwin and his wife, as well as Sir Henry and his wife, to arrive tomorrow afternoon."

"And has it been as terrible as you expected?" I asked, a bit cheekier than I ought to have been.

"That the invited gentlemen is not equal to unmarried misses has sparked the expected disappointment," she said instead of answering me. "Poor Mr. Aaron Carter. I'd forgotten he will be the only single gentleman present. The Williamson girls and Miss Reynolds will soon be competing for his attention."

"I hardly think he will find it such a trial. In my experience, young men are delighted when they find themselves the center of attention."

"Mmm. Some of them." Lady Leith turned so that I could undo her dress. "For ones who are more reticent by nature, and those who have no immediate interest in marriage, such attention can be highly embarrassing. Mr. Carter is one such example. I'm afraid he will find his time here somewhat trying."

 "Perhaps the older gentlemen will take pity on him and assist him in keeping out of the young ladies' clutches." I held up the sapphire evening gown for her consideration.

"One can hope," Lady Leith said, giving an approving nod. "However, since three of the gentlemen are eager to have their daughters married, I am not holding my breath on this matter."

 I helped her into the evening gown. She sat down so that I could arrange her hair. "And I will wear my sapphires this evening, Juliet," she said with a slight smile. "I do have guests in the house, so I must look my best."

Handling Lady Leith's jewelry had been a task that made me nervous. I'd only had a pearl necklace when I had my come out. Eugenia Burnham had similarly possessed simple jewelry: an amethyst pendant and a pearl necklace. Miss Dunbar had yearned for more elegant jewels to adorn her neck, but her father had been wise enough to refuse her constant demands.

Thus, the precious gems that made up Lady Leith's collection were the first I'd ever handled.

"You're not going to break it just by picking it up and carrying it," Celia said with a laugh when she caught sight of how gingerly I placed the necklace around her neck. "Gold and gems are not so fragile."

 "Yes, I am aware," I said, frowning as I worked the clasp. "I never even touched my mother's jewelry. They were too pretty and....too expensive for me to touch, if that makes any sense."

She laughed softly. "I felt the same way when Sir Horace presented me with the family jewels, along with some special purchases he'd made especially for me. I didn't realise how accustomed I'd become to being Lady Leith."

"You put on a good pretense."

Her cheeks flushed a deep hue. Celia stood up and moved away from the dressing table. "Do you know I realized something else today?"

"What would that be?" I asked, amused by her embarrassment.

"Sir Henry Johnson knew your brother."

My heart skipped a beat as my breath caught in my throat. "He did?" The name was not one I was familiar with, proving my fear that I did not know all of my brother's friends.