Chapter Four

"Miss Nelson! Miss Nelson!"

Rubbing my sore wrist, I lifted my gaze from the open book on my bed. I thought there was a note of panic in the young voice, which was unusual. "Yes? Come in," I called out.

The door swung open and Fanny entered. She wrung her hands together, her eyes wide with fright. What had scared her? Surely she didn't think I would be upset at the interruption. "My lady wishes her shawl."

Her shawl? Was that all? Why was that cause for such an upset? Had the Dowager done something to make a seemingly small thing into a failure? "I will fetch it for Lady Leith directly."

Fanny bobbed a curtsy, but her expression didn't show any relief. She rushed off before I could question her. Shaking my head, I left my book open, hoping to return to it in a matter of minutes. I'd expected to have several hours to myself after sending Lady Leith off to dinner.

I went down to the dressing room. It was as I had left it. Mindful of the mauve dinner gown Lady Leith had chosen for the evening, I selected a cashmere shawl from the wardrobe. I draped it over my arm and started down to the drawing room where I was sure to find the ladies.

The Dowager's voice could be heard well before I reached the door. "...do not consider my feelings? When Horace returns from wherever he flees to on every opportunity, you can be sure I intend on telling him everything."

It was a struggle to keep my face passive as I slipped through the doorway. Lady Leith had given me a good idea of the Dowager's ability for the dramatic, oppressed attitude, but this was something else entirely. My employer must have the patience of a saint to have gone so long without her temper snapping.

"You said this morning that you wished for company and that you intended to invite a party," Lady Leith said in a quiet tone. She glanced over and her gaze caught mine. "Oh, thank you, Nelson. I felt a slight chill."

As I stepped forward, the Dowager's beady eyes narrowed. "So this is the creature you were taken in by," she said, her tone disdainful. "I hope you are keeping track of the valuables in the house."

"I wasn't taken in, ma'am," Lady Leith said stiffly. She allowed me to drape the shawl over her shoulders. "Nelson's references were excellent and she came highly recommended. I've found her to be an excellent maid."

"Hmm. Excellent references, you say? Then, why did I learn she worked for that upstart Dunbar family? And, I might add, she was dismissed under very suspicious circumstances. I highly doubt they provided an 'excellent reference.'"

Lady Leith's eyes flicked to me, the hint of a question contained there. "You know how people gossip. A person cannot believe half of what they are told."

 "Did you or did you not attempt to kill the young Dunbar boy?" This pointed question was directed at me. Or so I assumed since she was still staring at me.

I held myself with as much dignity as I could muster. "I did not," I said honestly. After all, he had attacked me and though I had been forced to stab him, I hadn't intended to take his life. The wound hadn't been life threatening. Not unless he'd had an incompetent doctor tend to him.

"And I'm supposed to believe you?"

"If you had no intention of believing what she said, why did you ask her in the first place?" Lady Leith demanded, her tone irritated. She strode to the pianoforte. "Shall I play for us? It will take your mind off of your complaints."

 "No, I do not wish to hear your playing," the Dowager said irritably. "You only wish to distract me from the matter of the party, not entertain me. What names did you put on your guest list? Upstarts and families of little account, I would wager."