Chapter Fourteen

The party broke up late that evening. I couldn't hold back a yawn as I helped Celia to undress. We did not have time to discuss anything because her husband entered without warning. "Celia, I really don't understand what has been happening here. Why did Mr. Stone tell me that you have ordered the Dowager house to be opened and cleaned?"

Again, he took no notice of me being in the room. When I moved to retreat, Lady Leith caught my wrist and kept me from walking away. "Because I requested Mrs. Horner do just that," she said calmly. "Carry on, Nelson. I wish to be in bed as soon as possible."

Obediently, I continued to brush Lady Leith's hair. Watching the couple argue was the last thing I wanted, but I had no valid excuse to leave with Celia's hair unbrushed. Though I had wanted to encourage my friend to act as the lady of the house, I hadn't expected this kind of confrontation.
"Why would you make that kind of request?" Sir Horace asked, running his hand through his hair. "I assured Mother she would always have a home with me. To turn her out—"

"The Dowager House is no more than a mile away. She'll still be on the estate, and she will still have a home," Lady Leith interrupted, her tone calm. "I think it would be best for us all if your mother moved there at the end of the party."
"Best? For all of us?"
"Your mother and I do not get on, Horace and I beleive that will not change. As long as she is in this house, the servants question who is in charge. I will not tolerate the disrespect any further. So, either she goes...or I do."
The threat was a surprise coming from the normally kind woman. From the way Sir Horace stared at her, he hadn't expected it either. "Celia, you can't mean that. I know Mother can be stubborn and unreasonable at times, but she is my mother. There's much she could teach you about—"

"She may have experience she could pass on to me, but she has been unwilling to do so. I have stopped asking." Lady Leith watched her husband using the mirror. She hesitated for a moment. "I will not have any child of mine growing up in an environment where I am not respected as I ought to be."

"Child?" Sir Horace repeated, looking puzzled. He blinked. "Celia...are you saying what I think you are saying?"
Lady Leith's gaze flicked to me and she gave a nod. I remembered to curtsy before I left the room. Maybe with this good news, Lady Leith and Sir Horace would be reconciled and their arguing would come to an end.

Which would be lovely if I could be sure Sir Horace was not the mysterious 'H'.

A sigh escaped me as I realized I would have to remain awake late or get up early in the morning to clean the dressing room. Neither option was particularly agreeable, but what could I do?

"Miss Nelson."

It was only through sheer force of will was I able to keep from jumping. "Mr. Harper," I responded, feeling my heart race. Had he been waiting for me to come out? Or had he been trying to eavesdrop?

"I am astonished how quickly you gained Lady Leith's loyalty," Mr. Harper said as he approached. His expression was unreadable in the dim light. "Few women come to the defense of a servant, as I'm sure you are aware."

"Isn't it the other way around, Mr. Harper?" I asked, facing him. I kept my voice down, in case there was anyone else nearby and to not interrupt the couple inside the dressing room. "Lady Leith has gained my loyalty."

The corner of his mouth twitched as though he were fighting a smile. "Mutual loyalty. How extraordinary." His eyes narrowed. "Do not believe I have forgotten the cipher. However Lady Leith found it, I still find it odd she would share it with you. What would she expect you to do about it?"
"Decipher it, of course." That should have been obvious, shouldn't it?
"Decipher it? You?"

His incredulous tone grated on my nerves and I felt insulted that he thought it so extraordinary. "Why not? Every cipher has a key. One only has to find it. The book from which the cipher was taken was what I was using to find the key."
"And why would Lady Leith believe you were capable of finding this key? You may be clever, but not that clever."