Chapter Three

Lady Leith's eyes were rimmed with red when she entered her dressing room later that night. "My lady, what's wrong?" I asked in concern. Had dinner gone that badly?

She managed a smile as she removed her pearl necklace. "After such a long journey, my mother-in-law's nerves are—" She paused and sighed before continuing with only the slightest tremor in her voice, "Well, let's just say she is not at her most charming at the moment," she said with only the slightest tremor in her voice. "She ought to have rested and taken a tray in her room, but the dowager does what she will."

"I'm sorry, my lady." I began to remove the hairpins since there was really nothing else I could say.

"Oh, it's not your fault, Nelson." Lady Leith closed her eyes with another sigh. "I do wish my husband were home. He calms her and laughs off the worst of her criticisms. However, I don't know when he will return."

It was the first time she'd mentioned such a thing. Was this a common occurrence? When I had first encountered Lady Leith, her husband had been away. "Perhaps his business will conclude sooner than expected and he will return," I said, trying to infuse hope and confidence in my voice. "You might send him a note and explain what has happened. Ask him to return."

A loving husband wouldn't hesitate to do so, would he? I only had my father as an example and I knew he would never have left my mother alone to face a distressing situation.

"When I don't even know what business he is on, it would be incredible if I had any idea whether that was possible or not." Lady Letih opened her eyes, and the expression in them was bleak. "He never confides in me. Whatever business it is that takes him from Clarendon, I know not what it is."

Sir Horace had secret business, then? How strange. As much as my heart went out to Lady Leith, my mind couldn't help but see the possible connection to the mysterious 'H'.

"Has this always been the case?" I asked. Was it terrible of me to take advantage of the confidence between a lady and her maid?

"Yes, and I suppose it was foolish of me to think anything would change after we were married." Lady Leith stood up so that we could remove her fine evening gown. "The dowager believes that a proper baroness would be able to keep her husband at home."

"Surely she did not say that!" I said as I pulled the gown over her head. A man was permitted to do as he wished, to a point, and a woman's opinion carried no weight. At least as far I had seen, such was the way of the world. To insinuate otherwise was ridiculous. How was Lady Leith to keep her husband by her side if his responsibilities, wherever they were, kept him away?

"Well, she didn't say those exact words, but her comments make it clear what she is thinking." In only her chemise, Lady Letih turned away. "After two years, I ought to be used to her opinion, but every time I am in the room with her, she manages to find something new to make me feel inferior."

I'd encountered ladies of a similar nature during my one Season, however my mother had been beside me to give me confidence. Where was Lady Leith's mother? She had never mentioned any family. Did she have no friend to support her?

"At first, I thought time, perhaps a b—" She broke off and shook her head. "Well, I hoped he would come to confide in me as we became closer, but I was wrong," she continued. Her shoulders rose and fell as she sighed. "I'm sure I'm not the first wife to complain of such things, but what can I do besides being a good, patient wife at home?"

For a moment, her hand rested on her stomach. As I helped her into her nightgown, I remembered the times I'd seen her ill in Bath. My mind also went to what I'd learned about an expectant mother from friends who'd been so blessed.

Was Lady Leith with child as I had suspected?

Of course, I had not been in my position long enough to ask such an impertinent question, but it was a matter I would have to keep my eye on.