Chapter Nineteen

After the insensitive remark the last time I had spoken to the man, I wasn't entirely sure I was ready to hear from Mr. Harper. What could he possibly have to tell me? My curiosity was too strong to set the letter aside, so I continued reading.

"It was a surprise to learn you had left Clarendon so soon and with no warning to anyone about your intentions. Sir Horace and I still had questions for you. I shall put them to you the next time we meet, though, so don't think you have avoided telling us all that happened in the maze."

Snorting, I shook my head. When did he imagine that we would meet? He believed I was a maid and thus I was beneath the notice of a gentleman. Unless said gentleman had unseemly designs on the maid.

But, no. I couldn't believe that of Mr. Harper. Not yet, anyway.

"I have not altered my opinion that your actions this year have been impetuous and ill-advised, but I cannot deny that you have been useful. Sir Horace and I had become certain that Bladen was the man we were after. We just had not found the proof. You did. I have no doubt we would have done so in time."

Leaning my head back, I closed my eyes. Damned with faint praise. Was his intention to write simply to gloat? To explain that though I had found the truth, he would have as well? I should just put the letter aside and ignore any further criticism he had about what I had done. I didn't need to read that I had done wrong or that I had been a fool.

Why had he taken the time and effort to write if that was the case? What would that gain him? There had to be more to it than a chance to scold me. It took more effort for me to continue reading once again.

Before he died, Henry Bladen offered us a few clues as to who were part of the conspiracy against Britain. There are more than one at work in London still. I believe we have now been able to narrow down who gave Bladen his orders. He may have been the one to kill my friend, but it was not his decision to do so.

My heart was in my throat at the words, and I had to read them a second time to believe what I was seeing. Not Henry's decision? How could Mr. Harper say such a thing! "It was very much his decision," I muttered. Evern if someone had ordered Henry to do the deed, it was his choice to do so. He could have refused.

Couldn't he?

Once again, I shook my head, though it did little to dispel my confusion. After so much uncertainty about who had killed Jonathan, it had been a relief to know the truth and who was to blame. Now, Mr. Harper was telling me there was someone else?

"Who would Henry have listened to?" I wondered out loud. He'd introduced me to a few of his friends when he was courting me, but I couldn't claim to know any of them well. Were one of them involved in this tangled mess. "Oh, why is he telling me this?"
The only way for me to learn that was for me to continue reading the letter.

Due to the questions I asked five years ago, and the renewed interest I showed this year, I'm afraid it has become harder for me to follow this clue. Sir Horace has suggested that, once you recover, you might be in a position to be of some help to us. As a woman, you will be unnoticed and perhaps be able to overhear information we can use to bring all the traitors to justice.

Was he really suggesting that I be his spy?

After all his warnings that I was in over my head and that I didn't know what I was involved in, he was asking for my help? It was enough to make me laugh! Did he really make himself such a nuisance that he couldn't continue his search?

My smile faded almost as soon as it had formed. Wouldn't I have done the same five years ago if I had been in a position to do so? If I had known my brother had been murdered, there would have been nothing that could have stopped me from asking every question to every person I could find who might have been able to tell me the truth.