Chapter Seven

"I was right," I breathed out, leaning against the desk. I stared at the paper in no little shock. Of all the things I had imagined I might find, this was not one of them. "Coming here wasn't a waste of time. Sir Horace knows something."

But did he know that something, whatever it was, because he had found the note himself? Did he have the paper because he'd been working with my brother? Or was Sir Horace one of the enemies?

Crawling out from under the desk, I searched for a clean sheet of paper. As quickly as I could, I copied the numbers so that I could add it to the others for further study. Would the numbers correspond to another Shakespearean sonnet as I had used to solve the cipher before or was another book the key?

The other papers that had been beneath the cipher took several minutes to read for several minutes. Most were simply notes containing only a handful of words: "No proof." "It's been handled." "Further investigation required. No action can be taken without serious repercussions."

"Be careful."

They were not notes one would receive in the daily running of an estate. The writing was vaguely familiar, though I did not take the time to consider why that might be.

A glance at the clock showed that I'd been in the room for over half an hour. While I knew Lady Leith and Mr. Stone would be gone for some time, I didn't want to risk it any longer. I'd learned what I needed from the room.

Back under the desk I went to return the papers as I had found them. When I straightened back up, I slipped my copy of the numbered page into my pocket. I walked to the door and opened it just enough to peek out.

No one was in sight in the hallway. I slipped out and closed the door firmly behind me. Giddy with excitement, I started down the hallway. There was work still to be done, such that did not involve sneaking around the house.

But, first, I would find a hiding place for my new clue.

****

"Miss Nelson, Lady Leith has requested you in her sitting room."

Surprised by the maid's words, I lifted my gaze from the hem I was repairing. The young woman was staring intensely at me from the doorway of the dressing room. "Of course. Thank you, Fanny," I said, puzzled by her behaviour. "I'll go right down."

I hadn't seen Lady Leith since she had returned from her walk and I'd taken charge of her bonnet and spencer. She'd seemed distracted and had left me immediately. It had only been an hour since then.

When I entered the sitting room, Lady Leith was in front of the window. For several moments, she kept her back to me, though she must have heard me. My stomach twisted as I waited. She'd never behaved like this before, not even when I'd been accused of pursuing her brother-in-law.

What had happened?

"Who are you?" Lady Leith faced me and her tone was as hard as the expression in her eyes. "You are not the dowager's spy because even she could not put on such a convincing performance of disliking you. So whose servant are you and what did you hope to accomplish in coming here? No more lies, Nelson."

Though she was not much older than I, Lady Leith's demeanor was much as my mother's had often been when she caught me in some mischief. Her jaw was set and her lips were pressed together.

"What do you mean, my lady?" I asked with no little caution. Why would she think I was a spy? Nevermind that I could be called that considering my actions.

"Come, Nelson," Lady Leith said with a scowl. "I have suspected for some time that you are not what you claim to be. Your skill at the pianoforte betrayed you as having had a good education, enough that a position as governess or companion would be open to you. Certainly either option would be far preferable to the thankless position of a personal maid."