Chapter Twelve

The next morning, as I finished my morning toilet, there was a light knock on my door. "Miss Nelson," Fanny called. I heard her try the doorknob, but I hadn't had a chance to unlock it yet. "Sir Horace is requesting to see you in the library. Immediately."

Such a summons was not unexpected, though not at this hour. "Thank you," I said, raising my voice. "Please have Lady Leith's tray taken to her in the meantime. She should not be kept waiting."

"Of course."

It was at least an hour too soon for Lady Leith's morning tea. I'd risen early to clean the dressing room, not having the courage to do so the previous night. If I had to guess, Mr. Stone had handed over the cipher to Sir Horace and I was being called to account for it. I was going to need my new friend's help in getting out of this fix.

Before I left the room, I checked my appearance in the mirror. Black shadows no longer lurked under my eyes, and my skin was not as pale as I'd been when I first arrived at Clarendon. When I held my chin up, I thought I could see a resemblance to the dignity my mother had always exhibited. I would need all the confidence I could muster fot this coming interview.

My steps were even and without hesitation as I made my way down to the library. The door was ajar when I reached it. Before I stepped in, I took a moment to rub my sweaty palms on my skirt.

As I entered the room, I spotted Sir Horace was seated at the desk in front of the large windows. My gaze shifted to the second person in the room, who stood behind the baronet.

Mr. Oswyn Harper. What was he doing here? He was one of Sir horace's friends?

"Miss Nelson," he said, nodding toward me. His tone was cold. "We meet again. Why am I not surprised?"

"Good day, Mr. Harper." I curtsied, clasped my hands behind my back, and kept my eyes down. Through my eyelashes, I peered at Sir Horace. He had yet to say a word. "You asked to speak to me, Sir Horace?" I asked, anxious to get the conversation over with.

"I did," he finally said. His gaze was steady as he watched me. Was he trying to see me flinch? Was he trying to see through me? "Do you know why?"

His tone was impossible to read. "I have my suspicions," I said honestly. "My guess is that you have asked me here because Miss Hanson trespassed in my room and removed a cipher from the book I was reading. She then gave it to Mr. Stone who passed it on to you because of how strange it is."

Sir Horace's eyebrows went up. "That is an accurate guess, Nelson."

"You don't seem worried about the situation," Mr. Harper said, stepping closer to Sir Horace's chair.

Oh, if only he knew how much worry was twisting up my insides. I didn't even glance at him as I answered. "Why would I be worried? I have done nothing wrong."

"How do you know Miss Hanson is to blame for stealing the message from you? She has had a long history in this house and has always been honest," Sir Horace said, his tone sharp. "You would do well to think twice before accusing her of anything."

He knew it was a message and not some frivolous puzzle. "I have judged the evidence before me," I informed him. "Miss Hanson was seen around my door yesterday, and she has made it clear she dislikes me. What else was I to think when the cipher went missing, even though I always keep my door locked?"

"Why would you need to keep your door locked?" was his next question. "Do you have secrets to keep from us?"

He had no idea. "At my last post, the son of the house attacked me in my room," I said, keeping to the truth on this particular detail. "Lady Leith understood I felt uneasy without some security against such an attack happening again."