Chapter One

Summer, 1814

When the heat of summer became unbearable, many removed themselves to where activities out of doors were possible. With servants in tow, those who were fortunate enough to have a country estate, or have a friend with such a dwelling, made their way from the city.

For a guest on a country estate, there was entertainment and relaxation. For a servant, however, things were quite different. Even for a lady's maid.

The scent of flowers was carried on the breeze and I breathed it in when I opened the window of the dressing room. In five years, the freshness of country air was something I'd dearly missed in London. No perfume could compare to the natural scent of the country.

As the fresh air swept through the room, chasing out the staleness, I set about my daily duty of putting the room in order. It was not a task that would take long and I was soon sorting out the delicate items of Lady Leith's wardrobe to launder.

Behind me, I heard the slight squeak of the door swinging open. "Miss Nelson, the flowers for my lady's dressing room."

Of all the tasks I was expected to do each day, arranging flowers was by far the easiest and most enjoyable. I would have prefered to select the flowers myself, but Lady Leith chose to do so herself. She would arrange flowers for the main areas of the house and send what was left for her dressing room.

I filled a vase with water and set the flowers in the liquid. Taking a step back, I studied the blossoms, working out the best way to position them. The pale sweet peas seemed a little homely for the house of a baronet, but Lady Leith favored them.

"Nelson, I intend on a walk this afternoon."

Startled by the sudden statement, I glanced over my shoulder at my mistress, Lady Leith, who had just entered the dressing room. "Of course, my lady," I said, obediently. I left the flowers to go to the wardrobe. I pulled out a pale blue walking dress.

"No, no," she said, waving her hand in a dismissive way. "I doubt we will come across anyone who will remark upon my attire. The gown I am wearing will suffice. All I will need is my pelisse and bonnet."

Without comment, for I had done much the same when I'd gone walking about my father's estate, I collected the requested items. In a matter of minutes, Lady Leith was ready to set off. She had a strange expression of determination on her face.
"Now, you must make yourself ready, Nelson," she said, barely glancing in my direction.

Astonished, I stared at her. "You wish for me to go with you?"

While lady Leith had often gone for walks since we had arrived at Clarendon, she had done so alone. Why did she wish for my company this time?

She faced me, an amused smile on her rosebud lips. "Is that so surprising? Do you really wish to remain inside on a day like this? Shall I meet you in the hall in ten minutes? Will that be time enough for you to ready yourself?"

It was more than enough time. All I had to do was collect my Spencer jacket and a suitable bonnet. To be honest, no matter why she wished for my company, the idea of a walk appealed to me. I'd had little opportunity to step outside of the four walls that made up Clarendon.

"Yes, ma'am."

In the hallway, Lady Leith went one way and I went the other. I kept my steps quick as I made my way up to my room. It was the same size as the one I'd used in the Burnham house in London, but the view from the small window was infinitely better. The tiny space felt more like home than any place I'd been in since I left Faircroft house.

I took my spencer jacket from my wardrobe and slipped it on. Hopefully, with the sun shining, it would not become too hot on the walk. For the chance to have some fresh air, I'd take the risk.