Imperial

Par everadalton

Slave to humans all her life, Argentum longs for freedom. When an opportunity finally arises, she finally esc... Plus

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Book 2
Book 2 is out!

Chapter 53

2.2K 235 16
Par everadalton

Turns out, we barely stayed two days before Kronx deemed us ready to leave.

Hovering above the small mountain, he would occasionally glance across the sky before turning his attention towards us. Watching as we gathered around him. Waiting for us, to hurry up, so that we could finally leave.

Finally satisfied, Kronx snorted. Without saying so much as a word, he lead the way away from the continent we'd lived in; back out to the vast, dark blue sea.

How long would we be out at sea? Whilst I was confident that I was able to travel that far, I couldn't help but worry for Soriak. Her wing had only just healed, and was still strengthening. And while she would undoubtedly last a while... there would be no way we'd be able to land should she need to. There'd be nothing but sea.

Hopefully, Kronx was right - we'd be able to make the distance together.

Rutilus pulled in beside me, his molten gold eyes bright - excited. No traces of worry at all. Did he trust Kronx, thinking we'd be able to make the journey easily, or had he not thought it through?

Smoke coiled from my jaws. There was no point in worrying. After all, there was little that could be done now. And, perhaps, there was no reason to worry. Perhaps Kronx was right; we would be able to make it to the other continent with little problems.

Forcing myself to relax, I tilted my head towards Rutilus. "Excited to leave?"

"Aren't you?" the red and gold drake glanced back at me quizzically, seemingly surprised by my question. "Finally able to leave the humans behind!"

"Not necessarily," I reminded him. They were bound to come searching for us in neighbouring continents. After all, neither Master or Thanatos seemed to like giving up.

But Rutilus did not seem bothered. Instead, he flicked his tail delicately, staring into the distance as though searching for this new continent. "Mother says that humans avoid the one that we're going to... I don't know why."

"Herei Utang," a sonorous voice murmured, and with a jolt, I realised that it was Kronx. Whipping my head towards the dark blue drake in front of me, I stared at him. He'd barely spoken since he'd revealed his mate was dead - and even then, it had more often than not been instructions. Telling us to hunt or sleep, or reminding us that we'd be leaving soon.

For him to join in our conversation was odd - but I was glad he did. I'd started to grow worried for him. So much so that I had wished numerous times that we hadn't forced him to reveal that Veira, his mate, was dead.

But his words were still odd. Strange. Another language. Blinking in confusion, I glanced at him. Waiting for him to continue.

"Herei Utang; Land of Fire," he rumbled, his silver eyes glazed for a split second. "Famous for its many volcanoes. Perfect living conditions for dragons; plentiful prey in the forests and very warm weather. But indeed, few humans live there. Perhaps a result of the erupting volcanoes, or simply because of the sheer masses of dragons."

Was that where he had lived when living in a wing? From the sound of it, he seemed to have known it quite well. Seemed to have enjoyed living there. Perhaps that was one of the reasons as to why he was so eager to leave the mountain; he'd been impatient to go back to the continent - Herei Utang, as he'd called it.

"There ain't much more exhilarating then flying in the sky whilst a volcano erupts," the dark blue dragon continued, staring into the distance longingly. "Perhaps you might have the chance to do that, while we stay there."

Rutilus beat his wings faster, his golden eyes shining brightly - undoubtedly excited. Enthusiastically leaping a little higher into the air, he asked,"Do you know where exactly we'll be going?"

The dark blue dragon paused. Finally, he turned back towards us. "Yes... but there's a chance it might be occupied by another wing."

"What's it like?" Rutilus immediately asked, not waiting a second. Eager to learn more.

But Kronx did not answer. Instead, he merely rumbled in amusement, his silver eyes brighter than they had been in days.

The red and gold drake grunted in annoyance.

Hours slipped by. Still the same, endless blue ocean, with no sign of any land. Clouds stretched along the sky, each of them rather grey. Warning of incoming rain - possibly even a storm.

I narrowed my eyes, glancing towards Kronx worriedly. Whilst I knew I could keep flying for now, the last thing I wanted was to be caught in the air in the middle of a storm. Trying to fly against the wind would be significantly tiring; all of us would be exhausted afterwards. And Soriak's wing... would it be able to hold out after a storm?

"How much longer?" I asked Kronx, trying to keep my anxiety out of my voice. Nonetheless, I dared glance towards the pale green dragoness. Much to my relief, she did not sag in exhaustion - in fact, she barely seemed tired at all.

"Not too much further. Unlike other continents, this one is very close,"  Kronx responded, still staring out in front of him. Scanning the horizon."You should be able to see it soon."

That was good - I had not expected it to be so close! Perhaps we'd get there before the storm hit, if we travelled fast enough. Soon, we'd be up on land, away from the vast ocean.

I dimly recalled the awe and amazement I'd felt when I'd first seen the ocean. Although no where near as exciting as it had been, the ocean's sheer size was respectable. Even forests did not stretch on for this far!

But sure enough, Kronx was right. If I squinted, I could faintly make out the silhouette of looming mountains in the distant. Still a while away - but there. Something to stride towards, at last. Holding both wings out beside me, I relaxed into a glide, allowing my momentum to carry me forwards.

"We're almost there!" Caelum cried out in excitement, and for once, Thorak did not grumble in annoyance. Instead, he perked up, his icy blue eyes glancing across the sky before landing on the distant mountains.

As though the entire wing had been waiting for her to break the silence, they all started murmuring to each other excitedly. Impatient to get to the land; wanting to hunt and rest. I was even dimly aware of a few dragons talking about what the food would be like. 

Suddenly,  a clap of thunder split the air. Ringing in my ears, despite being further away.

Silence settled over the wing, and I glanced across the sky nervously. In the distance, I could make out the blur of rain. Still a while away, but still close for us to tense nervously. Knowing that soon enough, we'd be confronted by an onslaught of downpour.

My stomach churned uneasily. I'd misjudged the storm; it had already started - even if still further away. Beneath me, I could see the ocean starting to churn, swelling as the wind increased in speed and power.

Wind roared past us, and I quickly realised that we weren't being carried towards the distant mountains - but back the opposite way. Grinding my teeth in frustration, I started beating my wings again. Forcing myself forwards, however slowly.

At least, we didn't have too far to go.

It could have been worse - we could have had an entire ocean ahead of us when we were hit by the storm.

For several minutes, we struggled against the harsh winds. Gradually drawing closer to the mountains.

Soriak cried out in frustration.

"Not far now," I assured her, hoping that what I said was true. Because while the mountains were drawing near, it could still be hours before we reached the land.

She did not respond, still thrashing her wings desperately. Focusing on trying to fight the storm. It was impossible to tell whether her wing was hurting her, or if she was just frustrated to be unable to get to the mountains so fast.

Nonetheless, I shared an uneasy glance with Rutilus. 

There was no way either of us would let her give up. Not when we'd come so far, and travelled for so long. Not when she'd already sacrificed herself for us.

Slowly but steadily, we progressed forwards. Flying closer together, using each other's momentum to push us through the storm. Rain was bucketing down, almost pushing us towards the ocean's churning waves.

But now, the mountains were close. So close.

I could see every detail now. From the exact colours of the mountain, to every ledge on them. Some of them had a crater at the top, as though the summit had been sliced off. Briefly, I wondered why they were like that - before quickly dismissing the thought.

I could worry about that another time; now we just had to focus on landing.

"This way," Kronx directed, leading us through the storm and closer to the mountains. Swerving down, he dived down, his momentum building up before he finally landed just in front of the first mountain.

Following him, I roared in triumph as my talons dug into the rocky ground in front of the mountain. We'd made it. Relieved, I watched as each dragon landed. Relaxed further when Soriak landed her wings flared - and managed to remain standing, even if both of her wings drooped down beside her.

We had made it.

"Welcome to Herei Utang," Kronx rumbled, both wings flared above him as he stared down at us. But there was no mistaking the relief that shone through his silver eyes - as though he too had been worried that Soriak might not have made it.

But she did.

And now that she had, we wouldn't have to worry about humans anywhere near as much as we had.

*~*

1679 words

Hope you enjoyed!

Please do drop a vote and comment if you enjoyed! :)

.

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

497K 29.2K 22
Dragons like princesses. Everyone knows that. But the kingdom of Teana is pretty lacking in maids of the royal variety - which must be why Alannah fi...
2.1M 163K 55
Claire fights to prepare herself to fulfill an Unbreakable Promise made in the heat of the moment. A spontaneous adventure north, a catastrophic atta...
51.8K 5.4K 29
This is a FREE book with PAID exclusive chapters. The Whitlock Curse has finally taken Luke's grandmother, leaving him all alone in this world. And...
24.6K 1.7K 26
After a disastrous climb up Half Dome in Yosemite, California -Eoin finds himself taken to a different world than the one he was born into. It's a pl...