The Curse

Galing kay ljkastermans

Hindsight is 20:20, as they say. But Madeline's vision had never been that great. Blind-sided by the Superna... Higit pa

A.N.
Volume One | Prelude:
Volume One | Prologue 1.2
1.1 | In which, she doesn't want to be special
1.2 | In which, she doesn't want to be special
2.1 | In which, she accepts she is special
3.1 | In which, the Alpha is overruled
4.1 | In which, a theory begins to form
4.2 | In which, a theory begins to form
5.1 | In which, two and two make four
5.2 | In which, two and two makes four
6.1| In which, the plot thickens
6.2 | In which, the plot thickens
7.1 | In which, actions have consequences
7.2 | In which, actions have consequences
8.1 | In which, we see the aforementioned consequences
8.2 | In which, we see the aforementioned consequences
9.1 | In which, actions still have consequences
9.2 | In which, actions still have consequences
10.1 | In which, we see the aforementioned consequences again.
11.1 | In which, answers are given
12.1 | In which, more answers are given
12.2 | In which, more answers are given
13.1 | In which, a Queen is made
14.1 | In which, life carries on
14.2 | In which, life carries on
15.1 | In which, forgiveness is the virtue of a Queen
15.2 | In which, forgiveness is the virtue of a queeN
16.2 | In which, self-sacrifice is the cure for all
17.1 | In which, it both ends, and begins again
17.2 | In which, it both ends, and begins again
17.3 | In which, it both ends, and begins again
Epilogue | In which, she thinks its over
A.N. | Thank-You
Coming Soon | Migás' Monarch #3
Volume Two | Prologue 1.1

16.1 | In which, self-sacrifice is the cure for all

769 38 1
Galing kay ljkastermans

MADELINE

"Just a warning Annabella, its going to be cold!" Madeline warned her as she squirted the gel onto her stomach. It was what seemed like the hundredth test she'd run on the poor girl, but it was necessary to find a result. She had to eliminate all external interferences in order to gain accurate results. She quickly finished up, smiling at Annabella as she left. She felt terrible for her, she knew how much she desired children, and it seemed that it was the one thing that was still deprived of her.

Even when the curse was lifted, because Albert had been interfering with the water supplies, and "burning their insides" as Mrs Matthews had called it, the women in the village were horribly scared, or fully unable to conceive.

So far, she'd come up with some alternatives, but she wasn't sure how they'd be accepted within the pack.

Looking off to the side, she was distracted again by the tests which brought her here. The one's she'd done on her own blood. Nibbling on her bottom lip, she walked over to the other station. She'd had an idea days ago, if her blood also converted itself into whichever form was most dominant in the sample, replicating as perfect cells, she wondered if when injected into a wolf the shifter gene would attach to the DNA of the receiver and act as a self replicator, healing parts of the body.

She wasn't sure about the dynamics of the idea, which is what had stopped her thus far. She didn't want to risk the lives of any shifters in order to save the others. It was a moral dilemma which she hoped to avoid entirely.

She started slightly as she heard the door opening, glaring over to find Richard. She knew he was coming, he'd been planning the trip for months now. She'd wondered how he was explaining that one to the team back home, and decided that he probably didn't tell them. Smiling at her mentor, and her boos in sense, she made the snap decision to approach him with the idea of blood transfusions to repair the damages within bodies. After all, she'd been drinking the water for days before she'd figured what the issue was with it, if the drug was that potent, and if her blood didn't have restorative properties, she'd also have shown the same effects as the others.

Quickly filling him in on the idea, she also explained the dilemma.

"I don't want to risk the few for the many. It's not something I could ask of them either." She explained, she was entirely torn by the decision, and hoped that as the owner of the company he'd be able to make an informed decision.

"I'll approach them, we'll be completely honest. If we operate under full-disclosure, then everyone is making an informed decision." He stated, she knew he wasn't asking her permission. She'd given away that ability when she asked him to make a decision. Nodding slightly she sighed, she'd have to inform Xavier before they did anything.

Richard raised his hand to stop her from standing and finding him,

"I've already linked him, he'll be here in a moment," he supplied when she looked at him in confusion. She kept forgetting she was able to do that. After years of only being able to communicate with Martina, the ability to link other wolves was one she'd still found invasive on a number of levels. She simply nodded before sitting down, and going over her notes again. She needed to figure a way to explain the situation as a level with everyone would understand. Madeline was more than happy to explain more to those who understood, but as a general explanation she knew what she needed.

Quickly scribbling her explanation down on a piece of paper before her, she read over it multiple times. She felt when Xavier entered the room, as he came to stand behind her and read over her shoulder. She ignored as he turned to Richard and discussed it all. She knew Richard understood and would be able to explain it better than she was.

Spinning around and glancing at the two of them, she passed the piece of paper to Xavier,

"I need you to broadcast this to all the females in the pack, preferably we need a variation in ages, and all other particularities of people," she trialled off, staring up at him expectantly. She heard when he addressed all the females in the pack, and kept her fingers crossed in cautious optimism.

She felt her entire body sag as one by one women from all through the town linked her with the willingness. Of all the women who were more than willing, the elder shifters, the ones who wished for grandchildren, were the most willing to sacrifice themselves for their family. She felt tears pool in her eyes at their selflessness. She could not have asked for a better pack.

Setting up her equipment in the room, she instructed Xavier to ask them all to assemble outside, giving him a clipboard and a chart to note everyone down on. She included their age, weight, height, their fertility, and their medical histories in regard to lunar cycles of fertility.

Within a few hours they had a list of all the women in the village, every single one had volunteered themselves for the experiment. Moving around the room, she glanced at the ten women she'd asked to go first. Richard had already distributed her blood straight into their veins. They hoped that the most simple, and direct solution would be effective, that way they'd eliminate a large amount of the hassle involved in the spreading of the "cure."

After sitting, and observing the women bodily responses for 6-hours, Madeline still remained cautiously optimistic. None of the women had showed negative reactions, although she wouldn't be able to assess their physical and internal responses until at least 12-hours had passed.

Waiting was more draining than checking over her scientific calculations for the 20th time. As she was waiting for the responses in the systems of the women, Madeline and Richard had worked to calculate the incubation period of the "cure", and a way in which to assess effectiveness.

After 12-hours had passed, Madeline was growing increasingly pessimistic about the results. Of the 8 women they'd assessed so far, each of them displayed the same results, negative for any beneficial reaction. As Madeline and Richard each assessed their last patient, Madeline paused and gasped loudly. Something was happening inside the women before her, Madeline watched as the scars in the internal scan healed themselves. Her cells were bonding with the women blood and replicating at an amazing pace.

"Xavier," she yelled, getting the sleeping wolves attention. He jumped up throwing his chair back behind him before running over to her, fawning over her. He held her head in place making eye contact and questioning her tone,

"It's working," she whispered in awe of the results. She glanced over the women sheet, and found that rather than the "erasure" of her womb, and other reproductive organs, they'd become scarred, and she knew she'd figured at least part of the issue out. Scarring, was repairable.

She grinned at the women before her, who was looking more confused than ever at the results.

"I cant guarantee anything at this stage, but it appears that your reproductive abilities may return within the next cycle of the full moon," she watched as tears filled the women eyes before she threw herself forward and wrapped her arms around Madeline. She stood there bewildered as a man appeared at the right shoulder of the women hugging her. She realised he would've felt her distress, meaning he was her mate. She nodded slightly at the man, pulling away and smiling at her, leaving them to their reunion.

She was happy, but conflicted. She knew she had to figure out how to recover the fertility of the other women who's issues were more intense than scarring, and the thought of being unsure made her more nervous than ever.

Staring at the results before her, she began nibbling on her bottom lip again. She knew there was a solution in the results somewhere, there always was, it was just a matter of identifying it and capitalising on it in a way that benefitted everyone.

Staring at the blood samples of the other women, she felt as though she were going stir crazy. Madeline jumped up, making her way to the back-door and running out quickly before surrendering control to Martina while she simmered on her ideas. She found herself resting on the forest-floor in shifter form. Lifting her head, she sniffed around her before laying eyes on a deer at the other side of the clearing. She made sure not to move, as she allowed the deer and it's family to pass.

She'd never find the urge to hunt in the wild, at least, no anytime soon.

As she padded her way back towards the lab rooms, she continued simmering on her ideas. She'd tried direct injections, using blockers, and attaching her blood to decoys before injection, and so far nothing had worked. It was as though the blood was incapable of reaching the womb, as though she had to artificially inseminate the womb with her blood.

The idea made her chuckle before she stopped and developed it further. She could do it in multiple ways; she could combine her blood with their fertilised egg, and hope that the blood gives it the ability to be unsusceptible to the damaged state of the womb, cocooning in it a way; or she could attach her blood to a decoy and leave it in their on its own, hoping that it would find its way to the reparation state of being. Or, maybe the key wasn't entirely in her blood, she considered stem-cells, and bone-marrow, before again mulling the ideas around in her head.

She started running her way back to the labs, pushing her idea's to Xavier and Richard. She knew the two of them were reluctant on the part of the bone-marrow and stem-cells, although bone-marrow would be the easier of the two options. She pushed her determination through the link towards Xavier, and the reality that she was doing it, whether she had his permission or not. It was her body, after all.

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

40.4K 1.5K 15
No one should be able to see the future. The future should just be experienced first hand, not anticipated before hand. Sadly, there was one who was...
4K 251 30
Elena Crystal, a 17 years old girl with many problem in her life. On her 18 birthday, something happen to her. Something she thought is was just a fa...
7.3K 218 57
A boy wakes up in a mysterious castle with no memory except his name. The rooms are always changing and time has lost all meaning. Reoccurring dreams...
6 0 4
A forgotten prophecy... A thousand years ago, the last true sapphire luna took her final breath, vowing she would only return when darkness threatene...