Under Normal Circumstances

By momololli

Under normal circumstances I never would have found myself on that boat, that helicopter, or that island. And... More

Butterfly Effect
Babe In the Woods
Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder
All That Glitters is Not Gold
Apples and Oranges
Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained
Family Affair
All Over the Map
Out of the Frying Pan, Into the Fire
All Work and No Play
Up In Arms
A Wing and a Prayer
Out of the Woods
Going Native
Hope Springs Eternal
The Elephant in the Room
Smoke 'em if You Got 'em
The Ends Justify the Means
Drink the Kool-Aid
Serve Up a Fat Pitch
SNAFU
Sink or Swim
Fan the Flames
Promises are Made to be Broken
On a Lark
Tooth and Nail
Shove Off
Sounds Like a Plan
Early to Bed, Early to Rise
Luck of the Draw
Land Ho
Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow
Say It Like It Is
Told You So
Small World
Raw End of the Deal
The Road Home
Family Values
Cat's Out of the Bag
Read the Fine Print
The Sister Act
Sorry I haven't updated in a while
Little Black Dress
Stone the Crows
Well Hello to You too
The End of the World
Sight for Sore Eyes
Heart to Heart
Spoonful of Sugar
We'll Meet Again part 1
We'll Meet Again part 2
We'll Meet Again part 3
*Announcement*
Breaking Point
Viva le Revolution
The Road Less Traveled
Through the Looking Glass
Family Matters
Crash Course
Lucky Penny
Into the Deep
Kiss and Tell
Thanksgiving
Familiarity
Dining with the Locals
The author has a scare
Wattpad issues
Love and Fries
The Death of Me
Deepening
Not Enough Reg to Go Around
His Big Idea
No More Goodbyes

Waffles

1.3K 70 17
By momololli

I rolled my eyes.
"He's so weird," I agreed as I walked past Slivko and sat down at my vanity with a sigh.

My tear stained face was a red puffy mess. I took a tissue and began cleaning up when I noticed Slivko in my mirror. He was standing in the middle of my room with his hands in his pockets, looking around like he was at the most fascinating exhibit at the museum.

It was odd to have him standing in my room. I got so used to him dressed in camo and surrounded by jungle or helicopters, that red bandana wrapped around his head and danger surrounding us. Now here he was, clean and dressed in a nice suit, right in my room. It let me imagine just for a moment that we were just normal people whose biggest problem was what movie to go see on a Friday night. But that made me wonder if Slivko and I ever would have gotten together without all the madness.

Slivko caught my eye in the mirror and a little smirk formed on his face.
"I know," he sighed as he took a seat on the foot of my bed.

"What?" I asked, having no clue what he was talking about.

Broken from my thoughts I hurried up and powdered my face as I waited for his answer.

"It feels normal for a second, right?"

His words almost gave me a chill and turned to look at him instead of his reflection.

"Yeah," I said surprised, and his smile got bigger. "How did you-"

"Hey, you're not the only one with an imagination, you know?" He grinned at me.

"Well, I know but-"

"Come on!" Jared bellowed just outside my door, soon visible in the doorway.

"In a minute!" I snapped back at him and when he opened his mouth to reply I grabbed my tissue box and made to chuck it at his head.

As Jared retreated, Slivko grabbed my wrist and put the tissue box back on my vanity, leaning close by my face to do so. I caught a whiff of his scent and felt my cheeks go red.

"May," he said softly as he held my hand and placed the other on my knee.
My heart fluttered as I got to see every shade of brown in his eyes.
"So everything thats happened has been big and scary and definitely not normal," he emphasized. "But after a while all the little things will feel real and normal again. Like hanging out in your room one day won't include a funeral and mass emotional breakdowns. At least, not on the good days."

A smile broke out on my face as I listened to him.

"So, waffles?" He asked hopefully, looking up at me.

I took a deep breath as my eyes roamed over his adorable face. I reached up with my free hand and brushed his hair back from his face and ran my thumb across his cheek.

"Waffles," I agreed.
———————
Slivko had taken off his jacket and his white sleeves were rolled up, his forearms flexing as he steered my car. He had on his aviator sunglasses and the breeze from the open window ruffled his hair and his loosened tie. Jared and Billy were making a ruckus in the back seat, but I barely registered it. I was just staring at this gorgeous guy driving my pink caddy. Oh if anyone I knew could see me now. What would they think?

"May!" Jared shattered my daydreams. "Could you stop drooling long enough to tell him which way to turn?"

I threw a sideways glare at Jared and tried to ignore the adorably raised eyebrow hovering over Slivko's glasses.

"Take a left," I instructed sheepishly.
I made sure to multitask properly after that, the directions and the ogling.

We soon pulled in at the diner, the neon lights flashing on the hood in the now fading sunlight, Moonlight Drive. I felt better already, I really loved this diner. I dragged my family here so many times, I'm sure that's why they suggested it. It was stuck in the 50's which was fun to me. The waitresses wore poodle skirts and the floors were black and white checkered tiles. The booths and stools were minty green and all the chrome reflected the pink neon lights. Not to mention the over the top, excessively decadent ice cream and mind blowing waffles.

I got out of the car and caught Billy who was climbing out the window as Slivko and Jared came around the car. The smell of rain was trickling through the air as the lights danced on Slivko's white shirt, making him all my favorite colors. He gave a smirk as his hand found my waist and we all walked in the diner together.

"Maybelle? Is that you doll?" I was greeted by my favorite waitress immediately.

"Hi Pearl," I blushed as she looked Slivko up and down with mild awe.

"Hi Pearl!" Billy repeated, bouncing by my side. "There's one, two, three, four of us."

"That's right baby!" She said to Billy with a bright smile before whispering to me as she grabbed the menus: "but he's about a 10, girl."

"Can we have a booth please?" I asked through a tight smile and tried not to laugh.

"Anything you like," she stated as she led us to my favorite booth, the one by the jukebox no body used anymore.

I slid in next to Billy and Slivko sat across from me with Jared.

"Now doll," Pearl began as she set the menus down and gave Billy his crayons. "Are you coming from a-a funeral today?"

"Yes ma'am," I answered softly, making sure Billy was distracted enough.

Pearl nodded and glanced at Slivko once more. "Order anything you like, it's on the house today," she winked.

"Oh, no Pearl," I said, catching her before she walked away. "That's too much."

Pearl rolled her eyes.
"Honey, please, you practically keep us in business and you're the best tipper hands down. The jukebox is full of your change," she said before turning on her heel and sauntering off in her patent leathers.

I turned back to see Slivko watching me with an amused face.

"Oh you got him now," Jared said, observing him as well. "Free food is the way to literally anyone's heart, am I right?"

"It's a bonus," is all Slivko replied before looking through the menu.

I didn't need to check the menu, I always ordered the same thing, but I made sure Billy knew what he wanted. Slivko was asking Jared about a few things on the menu and they were having their first decent conversation. Until Slivko asked what I usually get.

"Ugh, she gets the same thing every time!" Jared groaned. "Everywhere we go she finds one thing on the menu she likes and sticks to it until she dies."

"Excessive," I stated. "I try other things."

"Oh right, I'm sorry," Jared was not sorry. "One time you got a blueberry waffle instead of chocolate chip."

"It was blueberry season and I love blueberries," I defended.

"Is everyone ready to order?" Pearl asked, walking up just then.

"Cheese burger with fries and chocolate milkshake," Jared ordered.

"I'll take the Astronaut breakfast and the Milky Way float," Slivko requested.

"Breakfast for dinner, I love it," Pearl commented.

"Corn dog comets!" Billy piped up.

"Alright," Pearl smiled. "And the usual for you, doll?"

I saw Jared giving me a smug face. I couldn't help it though, I liked what I wanted and wanted what I liked.

"Yes," I replied through semi clenched teeth. "Thank you."

"Auntie May," Billy tugged in my arm as Pearl left with our orders. "Can you play that song on the joobox for me?"

"Which one?" I asked him.

"The happy one, you know! I always like it when you play it," Billy did his best to explain.

"The one about leaving yesterday behind?" I asked.

"Yeah!"

I heard a dime clink on the table top and turned to see Slivko sliding it over to me. I smiled as I grabbed it and got up to go to the jukebox.

https://youtu.be/RpQryiTbHo8

"Get ready to listen to a lot of Monkees," I overheard Jared telling Slivko as I slid back into the booth.

"You mean more good music?" I retaliated.

"He just doesn't strike me as the boy band type of guy," Jared gestures to Slivko.

"All bands with boys are boy bands!" I pointed out. "But shush now, this is a really good song, one that's actually perfect for today. An excellent choice, Billy."

Remember the feeling as a child, when you woke up and morning smiled, it's time you felt like you did then. There's just no percentage in remembering the past, it's time you learn to live again at last.

Slivko was staring at the table top just listening to the lyrics, and I watched him listen.

Come with me leave yesterday behind, and take a giant step outside your mind.

His eyes flicked up to mine and he gave a smile that seemed sad.
"Yeah, it is a good song for today," he agreed.

You stare at me in disbelief, say for you there's no relief, but I swear I'll prove you wrong.

Slivko's gaze held mine and I felt his foot slide next to mine.

"Whiiiiiipped," Jared drew out in a long whisper as he looked at Slivko. I used my free foot to kick him in the shin.

"This is why I can't have nice things," I muttered to Slivko as I rested my chin on my palm.

He just chuckled, taking everything my crazy family threw at him in stride. He was amazing. Still I wished we could have some time alone to really talk. Both of us were having to hold so much back, it was difficult to make any real conversation.

"Maybelle, is that you?" Came a familiar voice and I nearly cringed.

I looked up and saw my friend Vanna, her brother Harry, Theo, and Steve my ex.

Just kill me.

*************
Hiiiii sorry for that super long hiatus. Adult life sucks super hard my friends. Please let me know how you liked this one!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

462K 13.9K 97
Theresa Murphy, singer-songwriter and rising film star, best friends with Conan Gray and Olivia Rodrigo. Charles Leclerc, Formula 1 driver for Ferrar...
883K 20K 48
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
590K 18.1K 75
Hiraeth - A homesickness for a home to which you cannot return, a home which maybe never was; the nostalgia, the yearning, the grief for the lost pla...
398K 19.3K 81
Kang y/n was always been the black sheep of the family. Overshadow by her extremely talented, gorgeous sister Roseanne . Who has the world revolve a...