Drink the Kool-Aid

"Slivko?" I called, searching in the dark jungle around me.

There was no answer aside from the insects and creatures shrieking around me.

"Jack?" I called as I pushed branches aside and stumbled over the rocks and roots around me.

I started to feel panic as I groped around in the dark, the noises pressing closer around me.

"Slivko!"  I cried, trying to go faster through the darkness.

Through the buzzing and the shrieking I heard steady thuds, like giant footsteps. They were getting closer, louder, and I pressed forward in terror. I was stumbling, branches scratching my face and arms, tripping over rocks and slipping in mud. Right when it sounded like the footsteps were right on top of me, the ground I tread gave way to a cliff. With a scream I fell through the air and

THUD!

My eyes opened and were blinded by the sunlight streaming through the window. I propped myself up and squinted, looking around, seeing a familiar ship cabin around me and a certain hammock that still had a hold of one foot. Now that I was safe from the dangers of my dream, I dropped my head down and groaned in pain from hitting the floor. Once satisfied, I sat up and looked around. No sign of Slivko, but in the corner was the mirror Hank had been using last night, a big bowl of water, and my back pack. I leaned forward on my hands and knees, poking my head out the door and looking both ways down the hall.

"Hello?" I called.

No answer.

"Guys?" I called a little louder for good measure.

Alone. Good.

I crawled over to the mirror and water and started washing up. I smiled as I took all my travel size toiletries out of my back pack.

"Who's crazy now, Grace?" I muttered to myself.

I had packed some extra clothes as well, so I used the shirt I was wearing like a washcloth and cleaned my face, neck, arms and most of my body. At the end I washed my hair and then put on my clean clothes, feeling much more human again. I packed all my stuff up, putting my dirty clothes in the bottom of my back pack. I could have left behind to lighten my load a little, but it just felt wrong leaving my stuff behind in this scary place. I stood and put my back pack on my shoulders, looking around to make sure I hadn't forgotten anything and my eyes landed on the hammock for a moment. I got a mental picture of Slivko and I nestled in it, me playing with his hand as we talked, and I blushed super hard. I was so exhausted, the last thing I really remembered was him telling me about his mom. I went to leave the room, but something held my body back for just a moment as I still gazed at the hammock. It was like I was trying to commit it to memory or something. Satisfied with both my mental picture and my mental instability, I finally left it behind and went to find the others.

I stepped out into the sweltering heat of the sun and took a look around in case anyone was nearby. The natives were busily working around the village, but a few noticed me and came over. As they approached I gave a respectful bow to greet them, not sure exactly what I was supposed to do. They nodded back to me, their eyes almost lifeless in their stoic expressions. They extended their yellow painted arms back towards where they came from, a gesture for me to come this way. I obliged them and was led to a small circle of women who beckoned me to sit with them. Once I was seated on some palm leaves I was handed a bowl of some meat and some cut up fruit.

"Thank you," I said aloud before remembering I should bow instead of speak. I couldn't help but smile at them, though. They sure were nice considering where they lived.

I began eating quietly with them, looking at the work they were doing. One was making thread and another was weaving a basket while others cut fruit and meat. I was surprised when a small girl emerged from behind one womans back. I hadn't seen any children yet. She stood there, watching me with shining black eyes. Then I felt a gentle tug on my hair and saw another girl, slightly bigger, stroking it carefully. The women glanced up as they worked, not too concerned. I held still, not bothered by the attention.

Five minutes later I had two little girls putting the final touches on a new hairdo, and the little one had drawn all over my left arm in their yellow body paint.

"Look at you," Mason's amused voiced piped up to my left. "You've been accepted into the tribe."

Satisfied with their handiwork, the little girls scurried away. The small one looking back at me one more time before disappearing.

"How do I look?" I asked, looking up at her.

"Not bad at all," She said honestly before pulling up her camera to take a picture.

I posed cheesily for it before bowing to the women around me and getting up.

"I'm gonna go check out the boat, you coming?" I asked her.

She gave me a weird smirk.
"Nah, i'm gonna hang out and take some more pictures. I want to get as much of this civilization as possible, there's no other like it," She explained in clear reverence of these people thriving on such an inhospitable island.
"But, uh," She smirked again. "Say hi to Slivko for me."

I was left staring at her back, confused as she strolled away. If I wasn't mistaken, she giggled to herself too. I grabbed my back pack and headed for the boat, but after a few steps a sudden realization made me stop midstep. What if Mason knew about... about the hammock?

Oh geez.

I could see the boat ahead of me now. Victor was perched on the nose of it, observing the scenery while Hank and Conrad worked on the helm. I didn't see Slivko. As I got closer the sound of their conversation drifted toward me and I thought I could hear Slivko's voice. Hank and Conrad were grinning at something, I assumed work was going well on the boat.

"Oh, Hey Maybelle!" Hank called out with a wave when he noticed me coming, the grins still plaster on his and Conrad's faces.

"I'm not falling for it," I thought I heard Slivko's voice from somewhere down in the hatch with the engine.

"You look lovely this morning, Maybelle," Hank said, suspiciously putting emphasis on my name. "The little ones got ahold of you, huh?"

"Yeah, I'm not actually sure what my hair looks like," I said as I gingerly felt it.

Slivko popped up out of the hatch like a prairie dog at the sound of my voice. He had grease smudges on his face and arms and his skin glistened with sweat. His surprised face soon melted into a goofy grin, squinting into the sun light.
"Looks nice," He smiled.

"Thanks," I said, stepping onto the boat now as Hank and Conrad stifled giggles.

I looked at them oddly for a moment.
"So how's it going?"

"Well, Slivko seems very optimistic that we can set off by noon. But he woke up in a ridiculously good mood," Hank chuckled.

Slivko's face was already ruddy from working in the heat, but the tips of his ears all but burst into flames. He ducked back down into the hatch before answering.
"Yeah it's right on the verge," He said.

"Can you really get her running?" Hank asked.

"Yeah, if I don't, my Dad will disown me.. if I ever see him again," Slivko mumbled the last part.

"Hey," I said in a no nonsense way. "You will."

I set my back pack on deck and sat down next to the hatch.

"Well, I suppose if anyone can turn her on, it's you, Slivko," Conrad stated like there was some inside joke or double meaning to this.

There was a thud and some muttered cursing from the hatch.