Heart to Heart

I was so sure I had finally snapped.

I was staring at Slivko's angry profile as he charged down the hallway. There was a commotion going on in the living room that my ears couldn't quite hear or my brain couldn't quite process. Either way it was drowned out further when Slivko entered my room and closed the door behind us.

Instantly his other arm wrapped around me and he held me closer than ever before. His warmth, his feel, and his scent confirmed he was real and I immediately melted into him. Every ounce of sadness and grief came pouring out of me as I sobbed on his jacket. He stroked my hair and tried to soothe me.

Even though I had thought of all the things she had said to me, to actually hear them coming from someone else hurt so much worse.

"She wishes I was dead!" I cried, my voice hitching between each word. "They don't want me-"

Slivko pulled back and held my face in his hands. Those deep, soul searching brown eyes looked so sad as he stared me down.
"No, May. Don't listen to her, please don't listen to her," he begged with such a heartbroken tone.
"That was a horrible thing for her to say. She's just upset, she didn't mean it. Please May, listen to me." He pleaded as he rested his forehead on mine.

"Grace hates me too," I continued to cry as I clung to his waist and buried my face in the crook of his neck again. "My parents don't even like me anymore."

I felt his fingertips press into my skin as he tried to hold me even tighter, one hand slipping up into my hair as he cradled my head against his shoulder.
"No, May," he repeated as tears choked his voice. "You're wrong."

"It would've been better if Jack came home instead," I cried even harder.

"No!" The word came from two voices at once, Slivko and Grace.

I turned my head and stared at her from under Slivko's chin. He didn't let go of me as Grace came into the room, a stricken look on her face.

"Is that what you think, Maybelle? That I want to trade you for Jack?" She demanded.

I saw her throat bob as she swallowed hard. She didn't seem to care that I was wrapped in Slivko still as she went on speaking. Mom and Dad appeared in the doorway behind her looking panicked, but I couldn't take my eyes off Grace.

"You think I'm- what- I'm disappointed you came home? I'm not! I always knew that something could happen to Jack, that was part of his job and I knew that going in. But you-" her voice hitched as her face began to turn red. "You're my baby sister, and I sent you out there."

She was crying harder than I'd ever seen before. Her face was red and puffy and veins stuck out on her neck and forehead. With a shaky hand she wiped the snot from under her nose. Slivko had rested his chin atop my head and I felt his tears fall in my hair.

"If anything had happened to you, that would have been on me," she explained. "I thought you would hate me for almost getting you killed."

"I never thought that!" I burst as I turned toward her within Slivko's arms. He settled for having his arms draped around my shoulders as I talked to my sister.  "I'm just- I'm sorry, Grace!"

"Sorry for what?!" She countered, not seeming to have a clue what I was talking about.

"I tried so hard to find him, I really did," I sobbed. "I wanted him to come home to you but I couldn't bring him home."

It was so hard to get those words out as my emotion threatened to drown them. Grace's face distorted in sadness as I spoke and she had to look up at the ceiling to help keep from crying.

"I know," she croaked. "I know you tried. I know you probably almost got yourself killed trying, because you're always thinking of others and never yourself. You're a good person, May," I felt Slivko nod fervently in agreement. "I don't blame you for anything, and you shouldn't feel bad about surviving! I wish you and Jack could have come home, but I'm not disappointed with you," she had tears gushing down her face as reached out her arms to me and took two quick strides to throw them around me.

Slivko retracted just in time to avoid an absolute entanglement, but still kept a hand on my waist, the one thing he had perfect aim with.

Mom and Dad walked up to us then. Mom joined our hug as we cried all over each other. I couldn't see, but I overheard Dad talking to Slivko.

"Uh, thanks for... getting her out of there," he said to him.

"With all due respect sir," Slivko began and I almost tensed up anxiously awaiting whatever he could have to say 'with all due respect'.
"I know what it's like to lose someone, and I know what it's like to get lost in the shuffle of things like Maybelle has. But you need to know that whatever she's told you is not an exaggeration, if anything she downplayed it so you don't even know the half of it. What we went through together on that island made the war seem like a playground fight to me," he paused and sighed heavily. "What I'm trying to say is, Maybelle really needs all of you right now. She needs you to really look at her and really listen to her. Please."

I buried my face among mom and Grace's arms so they wouldn't see me smile. My heart was being torn in every direction today, but right then I could feel it melt a little. I felt this warmth settle in my chest and a little voice in the back of mind piped up.

"I really love that boy."

Dad cleared his throat and gave a slight pause.
"You make a good point. Perhaps I haven't given her enough credit," he finally admitted. "And we'll have to fix that.. as soon as we're done with the Chapman's, I hope you understand."

Grace gently pulled away and wiped her face.
"Yes, I'm sorry about what she said. I was telling her off a bit too harshly when, um, this guy here just walked off with you," she said, gesturing to Slivko as if noticing him for the first time. "I better go deal with that now, but I wanted to come to you first."

I just nodded to show her I understood and appreciated it as I wiped my face too.

"I don't suppose you'd be able to stay with Maybelle while we do that?" Dad asked Slivko.

The latter and I shared a very brief glance of utter surprise.

"Yes sir, I can. I'm catching the red eye later tonight," Slivko answered him.

"Thank you," Dad said to Slivko before turning to me. "Why don't you get some fresh air. Maybe take your friend to the diner and get some waffles," he smiled. "Just do me a favor and let him drive your car."

I lightly chuckled and half sniffled as I agreed with him. He held my shoulder and planted a kiss on my forehead before they all filed out, leaving me alone with Slivko. I couldn't believe that they had willingly left me alone in my bedroom with a boy, no questions asked. Nearly instantly we were in each other's arms again as I gave a heavy sigh and groan.

"I'm so tired of crying," I said as I cozied up to him.

"Good," he stated before kissing the top of my head. "Because I hate to see you cry."

---------------------
I stayed up late to bring you this instead of finish some homework, haha, so I hope you liked it! And thanks for the votes and comments, there were two readers just blowing up my notifications tonight and I loved it, felt like I really owed you an update. I still have interesting plans for this story so stay tuned please! Thanks so much for almost 400 votes!! That's amazing!! Please keep sending comments, I only have 9 more days of college left so please cheer me on! ❤️ thanks everyone!