All Work and No Play

After I finished my job of checking the inventory, Slivko walked me back to my room, insisting that if anything happened to me on his watch Jack would kill him. He also gave me directions to the washrooms set aside for the ladies on this trip.

I didn't find San in our room or the washrooms, either that night or this morning, but I was overjoyed to shower and shave my legs. It was so warm, I really wanted to be able to wear shorts.

Wish granted, I left the washrooms in denim shorts and a pink t-shirt and was returning my pajamas and bathroom bag to my room before going up on deck where I assumed everyone was. As I approached my room, barefoot because I forgot my shoes and had hands too full to carry them anyway, I saw Slivko slouching against the wall opposite my door. His combat boots weren't tied, his camo pants hung up on them. He wore a white t-shirt with patches of damp on it and I believe his hair was dripping water but he was still wearing that red bandana he had on yesterday. He was picking at a callus on his hand, impatiently waiting.

"Hey," I called, as I approached.

He snapped to attention and smiled at me. I assumed he had knocked and thought I was either asleep or ignoring him. In the cramped hallway he seemed even taller and I noticed his shoulders were as broad Conrad's.

"There you are," he said, seeming happier now.
"We were having so much fun up on deck and I didn't want you to miss it," he explained.

"I was just on my way," I replied slipping by him and into my room.
I left the door open as I put my things away quickly and grabbed my socks and shoes. I threw those on hurriedly, knowing Slivko was standing there waiting for me instead of going on ahead.

"Ok," I breathed as I hopped out of the room, flipping my still damp hair back over my shoulder.

Slivko smirked and startled me by kneeling down. Apparently I hadn't tied my shoe well and he was redoing it for me. It was so simple, but for some reason struck me as romantic. I didn't know if that made me crazy or was just the result of being very sheltered. I watched his shoulder blades move under the soft cotton of his shirt, the left shoulder completely wet and almost transparent.

"What's going on up there? Why are you so wet?" I asked, poking his shoulder.

He stood up with a mischievous grin.
"You'll see," he said mysteriously.

We made our way up the stairs and down the hall and we were about to step out the door when Slivko reached his arm in front of me and, as he looked both ways out the door, it landed on my waist and gently pulled me behind him. I was now behind those broad shoulders and smelling his scent again. Right as I regained my senses and wondered why he did that, I simultaneously received the answer. I heard a whooshing noise and Slivko was getting drenched. It splashed me a little over his shoulders. I gave a yelp, grabbing the back of his shirt and ducking behind him better. I heard a few laughs outside and Slivko turned to me with a rueful smirk, water running down his face and dripping from his nose, his shirt drenched and clinging to him.

"That's what we're up to," he said.

"I got you good!" Reles pointed and laughed at Slivko as we stepped outside.

"Yes, thank you," Slivko sarcastically replied and wiped his face with his also wet hand.

"Oh Maybelle, I didn't see you there," Reles said a little bashfully. "Sorry about that."

"It's ok, I have a knight in soggy armor," I patted Slivko's shoulder.

We walked over to where Mills and Cole were sitting on some folding chairs, a record player going.