Family Values

Grace was not at Mom and Dad's house. I did not know where Grace was, no one seemed to think I should know, so I didn't ask. The kitchen table was covered in cards and paper work of some kind and there were casserole dishes everywhere with sticky notes about who they belonged to.

Jungle Maybelle felt very weird standing in the living room. Mom went to the kitchen as Dad sat down at the mound of papers and Billy had one arm wrapped around my leg.

"Sweetie are you hungry? Can I make you anything or get you anything? Really, I'll go out and get whatever you want," Mom said as she began washing yet another casserole dish.

"I'm ok for now, I think I'm gonna lay down for a little first," I told her.

"Ok, you get some rest, you deserve it," she nodded and Dad turned to give me a tight lipped smile.

"There's plenty of food," she added as she gazed at the dishes scattered around.

I trailed my finger down the wall as I walked to my room, Billy following. It felt like a dream, finally being home. I kicked off my shoes, set down my bags and threw myself horizontally across my bed. Billy climbed up and lay beside me.

"Where's your momma, kiddo?" I asked him as my curiosity got the best of me.

"She's at home," he said as he ran his fingers over Slivko's shirt.

"What's she doing?"

"She signs papers and makes calls for daddy's funeral. That's why she couldn't come today," he explained. "Is this Daddy's?"

I rolled over on my side and showed him the pocket.
"No sir," I said. "This belongs to warrant officer Reg Slivko. And this hat belongs to Reles. I don't know his first name or his title," I said as I took the hat off and stuck it on his head.

"Why'd they give it to you?" Billy asked as he examined the brim.

"It was when I had to say bye to them. We were out on the boat and it was cold," I yawned, not mentioning anything about how girlfriends get to wear the uniform. "Can you do me a favor and grab that army back pack for me?"

He scampered off the bed and grabbed it, heaving it up before scrambling back on the bed.

"Thank you," I said as I pulled it closer.
"Now, this guy right here," I pointed to the name on the shirt. "He thought you might like to have..." I dug around and pulled out the boots. "These."

Billy grasped them.
"These are Daddy's boots?" He asked.

I nodded.

He held them reverently for a moment.

"This guy," he pointed to the shirt. "He seems nice."

"He is," I smiled. "He saved me a lot. He's very brave and smart. He fixed the Ploat."

"Wow, I wish I could meet him," He said wistfully.

"You probably will, he said he would come visit me," I told him.

"Really? Cool!"

I giggled softly at his enthusiasm.

"Until he can come visit he said he would write letters, you can write him one too, if you want."

"I can't write yet."

"I'll help you," I said as I laid my head back down.

"Can you show me where the seat belt hurt you again?" He asked, rerouting the topic entirely.