Read the Fine Print

"Why the crap did you come in there?!" I demanded as we got back in the car.

"You were acting all weird, what was I supposed to do?!" He responded, equally indignant.

"You could not eavesdrop for starters!" I suggested as I turned the engine on and pulled out of the space.

"You come back from a trip across the world where you almost died, where Jack did die, and you're acting all weird, and now you're talking to some guy back on the boat like you like him- what the heck is going on?"

"Don't tell Mom and Dad or anyone about this," I warned.

"Why?!"

"Because! They've got enough going on with what they do know, I don't need to add to it. I'll be fine," I tried to assure him.

"Wait, you didn't deny anything. You do like that guy!" He realized excitedly.

I sighed and rolled my eyes.

"Oh my gosh, you're not denying it," he continued to torment me. "Ok, let's make a deal."

I raised a brow at him.

"You tell me the real story of what happened and I won't tell anyone about the guy on the boat," he stated smugly.

I'd stopped at a red light in time to shoot him a death glare.

"You're black mailing me?!"

----------------

He black mailed me.

By the time we pulled up in front of the house he knew the story minus Kong and the Skull Crawlers. Even without that part of the story he was still shocked and just sat in the passenger seat wide eyed.

"See why I don't want to tell my parents everything?" I intoned.

He nodded silently.

I threw my head back against the car seat and sighed.

"World war 2 pilot," Jared repeated with a hollow voice.

"Yep."

"An exploding field."

"Uh huh."

"A boat made of 28 year old planes."

"Ploat."

"You have a boyfriend."

"I-" my head jerked up as a denial was on the tip of my tongue, but there was no good reason.
"I do," I admitted as I let my head fall back again.

"He seems alright," Jared admitted, causing me to turn and look at him.

"You think so?" I asked.

Jared shrugged.
"If he saved your life that many times it kinda transcends just wanting to get in your pants."

"Oh gross, way to kill it," I tsked.

"He didn't get in your pants, right?"

"No he didn't get in any of my clothing," I said as I squeezed my eyes shut.

"But you did make out with him."

"I kissed him, I didn't make out with him-" I was cut off mid defense.

"You said on deck he kissed you a few times, that's making out. You're older than me for Pete's sake, you should know this!"

"Get out of the car," I punctuated, firmly putting an end to this conversation. "Now, you better honor our deal, not a word of this to anyone."

"Yeah they don't need to know you're a total harpy now-"

I threw my arm around his neck as we walked up to the house under the lavender and lilac sky. He cried uncle by the time we got to the door.

"There you are," Mom said overly cheerful. "I've been keeping your plate warm, would you like to eat now?"

"No more places to run off to?" Dad asked under his breath.

"No, no more running off. Thanks Mom," I tried to play it cool and be the good daughter again.

"So, how did it go?" Mom asked as she set the plate in front of me and took a seat.

"Great," I forced a smile as I gave Jared a sideways look to make sure he was keeping his mouth shut. "Mr Willis was there waiting for me, the guy who first came to tell me about the trip."

"Oh, I see," Mom stated as she looked at my Dad. Guess this gave some validity to my actions.

"He put me on the radio with the guys on the boat, the ones Jack worked with. They wanted to know I got home ok," I continued explaining.

"Well, that's nice of them," Mom said mostly to Dad again.

Everyone but Elizabeth fell silent and I was able to eat without interruption. When I was done, I excused myself to take a shower.

I stood in front of the mirror for a minute. I wasn't really tan as much as I was burnt and my face looked very tired. I took off Slivko's shirt and carefully folded it, giving it a good sniff before I set it on the counter. Then I peeled my t shirt off and inspected my own body for cuts and bruises. I better know what to hide from everyone. It looked like pants and long sleeves for me for a while.

When I finished and came out of the bathroom, I saw mom getting ready to take Billy home.

"Grace isn't picking him up?" I asked her.

"No, she's been... busy. You understand," she said as she gathered up coloring books and crayons into his little back pack.

"I don't think I do," I bravely threw out there. "Does she not want to see me?"

Mom looked at me sharply.
"Why on earth would you think that?"

I gestured around us.
"Because she hasn't come to see me all day."

"I told you, she's busy."

I sighed and gave up, making my way to my room. I set Slivko's shirt on the pillow next to me and pulled the letter out. I wonder if he heard my answer over the radio before it cut out? I opened it and read it at least three times. He was the only one saying what I needed to hear.