Told You So

If we were and odd pair in the cafe, Hank and I were downright freaks on the plane. We sat together, receiving all kinds of stares and hearing comments in multiple languages that had to be about us.

"You'll land in New York," our escort was explaining to us as he crouched in the aisle. "There'll be another escort waiting for you to take you to the hospital, get you squared away to go home without infecting your family with any tropical diseases. Then they'll put you on your flights home."

Hank and I nodded to him that we understood his instructions.

"And I'll inform Slivko that you got on the plane alright," he said just to me, glancing at the shirt.

"Oh," I glanced down at the embroidered letters too. "Thanks."

"Well, have a safe flight home," he nodded before standing and making his way off the plane.

Hank giggled next to me and I gave him a sideways look.
"What?" I asked shortly.

He shook his head with a grin still on his face.
"Everybody sees it," he teased in a sing song voice.

"Ok, Hank," I rolled my eyes. "We can talk about something else for once."

"Oh no, I love talking about this," Hank stated as he played with the tray table. "I haven't had anyone to talk to in quite a while and this is something I actually know a bit about."

"Well, I can help you catch up on things if you want," I offered, getting cozy in the airplane seat.

"I can learn all that boring stuff later," he said, waving it off. "I'd rather talk about my new friend."

I smiled. Something about Hank reminded me of Slivko just a little. Nothing in the way he looked, of course, but something in his disposition. It was too subtle for me to put my finger on but it was there all the same.

"You're not nervous about going home, are you?" I found myself asking.

He squinted thoughtfully and fiddled with the tray table again.
"Part of me says that it's the only thing I've wanted for the past 28 years.." he began but his smile faltered. "But 28 years is a mighty long time."

I knew better than to interject anything during his pause, he was winding up his pitch and I would wait for it.

"I know that Shirley won't be the same as when I left- I sure ain't the same as when I left," he finally got started "And maybe she remarried- that's ok, for all she knew I was dead, so it ain't like she was unfaithful. I'm just worried that... nothing is ever gonna feel like Home again."

We sat thoughtfully for a moment before I patted his arm.

"A cold beer and a hot dog on opening day," I reminded him and smiled as a grin split his lips too.

"Ah, Maybelle," Hank sighed. "You are an old soul."

"No, the world just hasn't mentally aged you so it's more like we're the same age," I stated as they announced take off.

"That- that almost makes sense," Hank nodded.

After five hours of conversation and naps, I found the note in Slivko's pocket. I unfolded it as Hank slept beside me and began reading.