Clarendon Estate (The Sinclai...

By thequietwriter

Juliet Sinclair must unmask a murderer before her own false identity is revealed... Clarendon Estate, the co... More

Chapter One
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Epilogue

Chapter Two

6.4K 460 86
By thequietwriter

While Lady Leith hurried to greet her mother-in-law, I went around to the servants' entrance. No one was in sight, no doubt rushing to ensure that the Dowager's room was ready for her. Unhindered, I was able to make my way up to my own room to remove my pelisse and then continued with my own duties.

The first task I needed to do was arrange the flowers before they wilted too much. As I worked with the blossoms, my mind wandered. There had been a second reason, besides my desire to leave Bath as soon as possible. Rest had brought with it the energy and desire to see my quest to its completion.

I knew that my brother had intercepted messages from someone I only knew as 'H', and from the way Jonathan had referred to this person, it was someone well-known to him. Since I was well aware that I didn't know all aspects of my brother's life, it had been hard to know whether I had accounted for all his close acquaintances whose names begin with the letter H.

Sir Horace Leith was one of those people. However, he'd left for parts unknown almost as soon as we'd arrived at Clarendon. Determining a man's disposition and past was difficult when he was not available to be observed.

Of course, I could not forget that 'H' could refer to a man's surname and not his Christian name. Mr. Oswyn Harper had been my first thought on that note. He had turned up so often over the past few months, it was difficult not to number him among those who were suspect.

There was also a John Hampton who had been another school companion of Jonathan. He lived somewhere in the North, if I remembered correctly. What had become of him? Had he kept up a correspondence with my brother at all?

Heaving a sigh, I realized I had completed my easy task and I had no excuse to put off the laundry. Laundering the more delicate items of any of my employers was one of the many things I really did not enjoy. My hands were raw from the soap and hot water. It would take weeks for my poor hands to return to their former softness.

It was another task that allowed me a little too much time to think. My great-aunt Beth's letters as of late had been filled with pleas for me to give up my self appointed mission. When I thought of how impossible it would be to find 'H' and I was faced with tedious tasks, I was tempted to do as she asked.

But then, what a waste my year would have been! Every hardship I'd faced, the abuse from unpleasant employers, would have been for nothing. This worry was foremost in my mind as I made my way down the servant's staircase to where I could

"....fall down around you and you wouldn't even notice."

With a gasp, I lifted my gaze to find a rail thin woman in front of me. An amused smile on her face kept her from appearing severe. Mrs. Horner was the housekeeper at Clarendon House, and was an amiable woman who had made me welcome.

"I'm sorry, ma'am. I'm afraid I wasn't listening," I said with a slight laugh. I adjusted my grip on my basket, grateful I had made sucha cake of myself as to drop it.

"I know. I said the walls of the house would fall down and you wouldn't even notice," she said with a laugh. "What has your head up in the clouds, Nelson?"

She was a garrulous person, and I'd learned the entirety of her life within two days of meeting her. While it was refreshing to not be the object of disdain, it made me all the more careful with what I said.

"I saw that the Dowager had arrived," I said, choosing a topic that had nothing to do with me. "I had not heard she was expected for a visit."

Mrs. Horner shook her head, discontent visible in her expression for a moment. "No one knew, but I shouldn't be surprised. She has a habit of returning without warning. I suppose that's the prerogative of the gentry, to do as they please whenever they wish. At least, she brought her own abigail so you won't have to look after her needs."

I hadn't even thought of that possibility! "Yes, that is something for me to be thankful for." Just before leaving Bath, I'd overheard the dowager's opinion of me, someone she had not personally approved of.

"Did you and Lady Leith have a nice walk?"

"We did." On a whim, I decided to continue on that subject. "She took me to Miss Webber's cottage and introduced me to young Mr. Leith. I had no idea the baron had a younger brother."

The woman's brown eyes lit up. "Oh, the sweet boy," she said, a note of affection in her voice. "I make sure the cook sends him treats every week. Goodness knows Miss Webber only provides the bare necessities when Master Simon deserves some loving attention. Why if I'd known where my lady was going, I would have prepared a basket."

I assured her that Lady Leith had done so. "Well, I won't keep you," Mrs. Horner said, her tone becoming brisk. "We all have our tasks to finish, and with the Dowager back in the house, we would be wise to be on our toes. She is a particular woman and isn't afraid to let her complaints be known."

It was the closest thing to criticism I'd heard her speak. She continued on her way and I went mine. Once I finished the wash, I had one of Lady Leith's evening gowns in need of a repair on the hem. It was one of my employer's favorites, and I had the feeling she was going to want to be in her best looks with her mother-in-law in the house.

****

"She says she tired of the society in Bath." Lady Leith's tone was annoyed as she spoke. She frowned at her reflection in the mirror "She's never tired of Bath, so I cannot believe she has suddenly developed an aversion to her friends."

I held my silence as I slipped the last hair pin in place in her hair. "What could bring her all the way back to Clarendon?" she continued, a note of confusion entering her voice. "Every time she visits, she has only complaints and criticism."

"Perhaps she wished to ensure you and Sir Horace had arrived safely," I said, reaching for some rosebuds to place among her brown curls. "After all, you were unwell often while you were in Bath."

To my surprise, a smile appeared on Lady Leith's lips. "I have not forgotten," she said, softly. After a moment, she shook her head. "That is a nice sentiment, but no. The dowager has never been concerned with my well being, unless it somehow reflects badly on the family name. No, I am certain there is something else that brought her here this time."

"And you cannot come out and ask her?" A strange question coming from me given my position. "Perhaps such bluntness might startle her into giving you the truth."

Lady Leith laughed, pulling me from my thoughts. "Oh, you are refreshing, Nelson," she said. She twisted her head from side to side, inspecting my work. "However am I going to survive a dinner alone with her? What will we talk about?"

"I am certain you are more than up for the challenge."

Of all the young ladies I'd encountered since becoming a lady's maid, Lady Leith was the most mature and confident. She'd had time in society and had been the wife of a baron for over a year. Her mother-in-law may be a termagant, an opinion I kept to myself, but Lady Leith could more than hold her own, even if she doubted herself.

With a sigh, Lady Leith stood up. "I'm glad one of us is certain about something." She thanked me and then walked out of the room.

If only she knew just how much there was that I wasn't certain about!

It only took a matter of minutes to return the room to it's spotless state. Before I returned it to the wardrobe, I inspected the day dress she'd changed out of, making sure there were no stains or tears that needed attention. My task was made easier whenever I caught small things before they became big ones.

As it would be some time before Lady Letih would require my attention and my stomach rumbled, I left the dressing room for my own chamber and the tray of food that awaited me. The solitude that had suited me when I arrived was becoming rather tiresome, but what could I do about it?

In the narrow corridor, I encountered an unfamiliar woman. She was tall and thin, perhaps even more slender than Mrs. Horner. Her expression was one of disapproval and condescension. I may not have known her but, apparently, she knew me. "You are Julie Nelson," she said, her lip curling up.

"I am," I said warily. I may not have known her name, but it wasn't difficult to guess who she was. "You are the Dowager's abigail."

"I am Mary Hanson," she said haughtily.

"Welcome back to Clarendon, Miss Hanson. I hope you had a pleasant journey."

She raised her chin. "You think you're so superior that you are the one to welcome me back?" she demanded, her tone offended. "Of all the impertinent ideas! I have served the Leith family longer than you've even been alive."

Taken aback by the exaggeration and attack, I stared at her. I'd meant to be polite and welcoming. "I'm sorry to have offended you, Miss Hanson." The last thing I wanted was to have an enemy in the household. I'd endured that before and had no interest in repeating the experience.

The woman gave a derisive sniff. "Once you've had some experience as a lady's maid, you'll understand your proper place, Nelson."

"If I am not mistaken, Miss Hanson, as I am maid to the mistress of the house, I have done nothing to overstep my bounds," I said, struggling to keep my tone even. I didn't want to fight, but I wasn't about to let her lord it over me. Once she started, she wouldn't cease. "Good evening."

Her eyes widened. "Well, I never! My lady shall hear of this impertinence I promise you!"

"If you feel you ought to advise Lady Leith, you are welcome to do so."

For a moment, she stared at me and then she stalked away, her back rigid with outrage. Letting out a sigh, I continued on my way.

Given what I knew of my employer, she would not listen to the close servant of her mother-in-law. In fact, I was interested in just how Lady Leith would handle Miss Hanson approaching her.

When I entered my chamber, I spotted a thick missives resting on my supper tray. Though I was hungry, my appetite increased after the walk earlier in the day, I snatched up the letter first. Knowing the thickness indicated more than one letter was enclosed, I settled on the edge of my bed to read them.

The first was from my great-aunt Beth. I briefly scanned the familiar writing, searching for anything beside admonition to return to Faircroft. It was toward the end that I came across a sentence that made me sit up.

"Your Uncle Frederick says he is returning, and I believe he truly means it this time. A man his age must cease his wanderings and return home. What a relief it will be to have him back home."

Breathing out, I let the letter fall to my lap. Uncle Frederick? Returning to London? "Why now? After five years, why did he have to return now?"

My guardian would want to know where I was, and I doubted he would be as understanding about my charade as Aunt Beth had been. Though disapproving and continually urging me to return, my great aunt had nonetheless kept my secret.

Uncle Frederick could throw me into Bethlehem Hospital if he so chose.

A glance at the second letter revealed it to be written by my uncle's hand. I broke the seal and unfolded the paper.

"My dear niece,

It will not be long before I am once again at home in Faircroft. Aunt Beth is correct. I have been pursuing my own interests too long, and have neglected you in the process.

Young Mr. Douglas' death is unfortunate. I have other acquaintances, though, so we shall simply find another admirable young man...."

Astonished, I stared at the words. Who ought I to be more angry with? Aunt Beth for convincing Uncle Frederick to return, knowing it would force me to end my mission unresolved? Or my uncle, for thinking he would be oh-so-helpful in seeking a match for me among his literary friends?

I couldn't bring myself to read the rest of the letter. My uncle knew me not at all. How could he? Since becoming my guardian, he had spent all of a week in the same house and before that he had visited only a handful of times. How did he think he was going to arrange a marriage for me when he didn't know my temperament, my likes and dislikes, or what would make me happy?

"What am I to do?

Of course, I knew already. In what little time I had left, I had to prove Sir Horace's innocence or guilt. With the other acquaintances of my brother whose names began with 'H', I would have to devise a different way to approach them. Or, I would have to give it up as a lost cause.

A Sinclair never backed down from a challenge.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

76.5K 3K 28
[2022 Wattys Shortlist Finalist] In this mash-up of Bridgerton and Enola Holmes set during the Regency, Robin Ballard is sent to London to spend the...
45.5K 4.5K 31
Regency debutante Lottie Atwell must silence a blackmailing killer before her secrets are exposed and her family is ruined. She's killed before, but...
835 45 46
Hope Flynn used to love water. She never realized the power of water, or the strength of it until the accident. Now Hope knows just how dangerous wat...
13.1K 348 17
Greg has been receiving anonymous texts from someone named Juliet. At first it was just ordinary messages but time comes when she doesn't just texts...