Under Normal Circumstances

By momololli

Under normal circumstances I never would have found myself on that boat, that helicopter, or that island. And... More

Butterfly Effect
Babe In the Woods
Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder
All That Glitters is Not Gold
Apples and Oranges
Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained
Family Affair
All Over the Map
Out of the Frying Pan, Into the Fire
All Work and No Play
Up In Arms
A Wing and a Prayer
Out of the Woods
Going Native
Hope Springs Eternal
The Elephant in the Room
Smoke 'em if You Got 'em
The Ends Justify the Means
Drink the Kool-Aid
Serve Up a Fat Pitch
SNAFU
Sink or Swim
Fan the Flames
Promises are Made to be Broken
On a Lark
Tooth and Nail
Shove Off
Sounds Like a Plan
Early to Bed, Early to Rise
Luck of the Draw
Land Ho
Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow
Say It Like It Is
Small World
Raw End of the Deal
The Road Home
Family Values
Cat's Out of the Bag
Read the Fine Print
The Sister Act
Sorry I haven't updated in a while
Little Black Dress
Stone the Crows
Well Hello to You too
The End of the World
Sight for Sore Eyes
Heart to Heart
Spoonful of Sugar
Waffles
We'll Meet Again part 1
We'll Meet Again part 2
We'll Meet Again part 3
*Announcement*
Breaking Point
Viva le Revolution
The Road Less Traveled
Through the Looking Glass
Family Matters
Crash Course
Lucky Penny
Into the Deep
Kiss and Tell
Thanksgiving
Familiarity
Dining with the Locals
The author has a scare
Wattpad issues
Love and Fries
The Death of Me
Deepening
Not Enough Reg to Go Around
His Big Idea
No More Goodbyes

Told You So

1.4K 69 5
By momololli

If we were and odd pair in the cafe, Hank and I were downright freaks on the plane. We sat together, receiving all kinds of stares and hearing comments in multiple languages that had to be about us.

"You'll land in New York," our escort was explaining to us as he crouched in the aisle. "There'll be another escort waiting for you to take you to the hospital, get you squared away to go home without infecting your family with any tropical diseases. Then they'll put you on your flights home."

Hank and I nodded to him that we understood his instructions.

"And I'll inform Slivko that you got on the plane alright," he said just to me, glancing at the shirt.

"Oh," I glanced down at the embroidered letters too. "Thanks."

"Well, have a safe flight home," he nodded before standing and making his way off the plane.

Hank giggled next to me and I gave him a sideways look.
"What?" I asked shortly.

He shook his head with a grin still on his face.
"Everybody sees it," he teased in a sing song voice.

"Ok, Hank," I rolled my eyes. "We can talk about something else for once."

"Oh no, I love talking about this," Hank stated as he played with the tray table. "I haven't had anyone to talk to in quite a while and this is something I actually know a bit about."

"Well, I can help you catch up on things if you want," I offered, getting cozy in the airplane seat.

"I can learn all that boring stuff later," he said, waving it off. "I'd rather talk about my new friend."

I smiled. Something about Hank reminded me of Slivko just a little. Nothing in the way he looked, of course, but something in his disposition. It was too subtle for me to put my finger on but it was there all the same.

"You're not nervous about going home, are you?" I found myself asking.

He squinted thoughtfully and fiddled with the tray table again.
"Part of me says that it's the only thing I've wanted for the past 28 years.." he began but his smile faltered. "But 28 years is a mighty long time."

I knew better than to interject anything during his pause, he was winding up his pitch and I would wait for it.

"I know that Shirley won't be the same as when I left- I sure ain't the same as when I left," he finally got started "And maybe she remarried- that's ok, for all she knew I was dead, so it ain't like she was unfaithful. I'm just worried that... nothing is ever gonna feel like Home again."

We sat thoughtfully for a moment before I patted his arm.

"A cold beer and a hot dog on opening day," I reminded him and smiled as a grin split his lips too.

"Ah, Maybelle," Hank sighed. "You are an old soul."

"No, the world just hasn't mentally aged you so it's more like we're the same age," I stated as they announced take off.

"That- that almost makes sense," Hank nodded.

After five hours of conversation and naps, I found the note in Slivko's pocket. I unfolded it as Hank slept beside me and began reading.

Dear May,

I'm writing this as you're sleeping. You seemed really freaked out and I don't know why, maybe you'll be able to tell me when you wake up. I wish you would so I could make it better, but that's why I'm writing this.

I want you to know that you did everything you could. You may not have been able to save Jack, but you were able to save me, Mills, Reles, Conrad, Mason, and Hank, which you did. You did that May, and I'm really grateful. I'm sure everyone else is grateful too, especially Hank. He finally gets to go home after 28 years thanks to you. I never met your sister, but Jack would talk about her all the time and I know that she's not going to blame you. If you love her this much that it tears you up to the point you pass out from crying, she loves you just as much. Trust me, it's easy to love you.

There was still more to his letter but at this point I just about slammed it down on the tray table, my hand covering those words as my heart beat completely out of rhythm. Hank startled awake with a snort beside me.

" We there yet?" He yawned, looking around until he noticed my white knuckles holding down the letter.

"Maybelle," he cautiously addressed me. "Your face is turning purple. Is it bad, or good?"

I just stared at the letter, the word 'Love' burning into my palm.

"Both."

And suddenly I absolutely had to finish reading it, I nearly tore it in two trying to pick it up again so quickly.

I hope that I said everything you need to hear. I wish I could be with you all the time to tell you myself. Remember how I told you my aunt made soap that she sends to me? Of course you do, you remember everything. There's a bar of it in the front pocket of the back pack. I'll see you real soon, May.

Love, Slivko

Hank caught the letter, saving it from damage as I flipped up the tray table and pulled the back pack out from under the seat in front of me. I hoisted it onto my lap and shoved my hand in the front pocket, my fingers meeting the smooth rectangle of a bar of soap. I pulled it out and took a sniff of Slivko's signature scent.

"What a dork," I laughed even as tears poured down my cheeks.

Hank was thoroughly confused as to why I was half laughing, half crying over a bar of soap, so he took a look at the letter. His confusion was replaced with a gentle smile.

"Maybelle," he spoke softly. "He loves you."

I covered my own smile behind my hand in floppy sleeve and wiped my face dry, careful not to get any tears on the soap.

"And do you love him?"

My mind flashed back to my dream and my smile slowly wilted.

"They asked me that, too. In my dream," I said staring blankly at the letter in his hands.

"And? What did you say?" He pressed.

"I didn't say anything."

"Why not?"

"Because Grace said it wasn't fair."

"What isn't fair?"

"For me to love him."

"Why?"

Our voices were rising as we became increasingly more agitated and we attracted the attention of nearby passengers.

"Because Jack just died," I went on quick shooting my answers.

"What does that have to do with anything?" Hank contended at a high decible.

Suddenly I was mad.

"Because my sister just lost the love of her life so it's not fair for me to find mine right now," I nearly yelled, feeling hot under the collar as my brows were knot together. 

Hank merely smiled and pointed a finger at me.
"There it is."

A stewardess came up just then and asked if everything was alright. Hank just smiled, completely useless, as I assured her everything was fine (a lie) and apologized for disturbing the other passengers. Hank was smug for the next ten hours of the flight.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.1M 98.8K 104
>「𝘸𝘦𝘭𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘣𝘢𝘤𝘬 𝘵𝘰 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘛𝘢𝘪𝘴𝘩𝘰 𝘌𝘳𝘢 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘸𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘮𝘪𝘴𝘴𝘦𝘥 」 𝐒𝐋𝐀𝐘𝐄𝐑 𝐕𝐄𝐑. Demon Slayer belongs to Koyoh...
156K 5.6K 42
❝ if I knew that i'd end up with you then I would've been pretended we were together. ❞ She stares at me, all the air in my lungs stuck in my throat...
463K 31.5K 47
♮Idol au ♮"I don't think I can do it." "Of course you can, I believe in you. Don't worry, okay? I'll be right here backstage fo...
784K 29.2K 104
The story is about the little girl who has 7 older brothers, honestly, 7 overprotective brothers!! It's a series by the way!!! 😂💜 my first fanfic...