Adventures Of The Warriors An...

By alliekatt314

With the new shocking secret revealed Emily struggles to regain herself and make peace with the new creature... More

Chapter 1 Wingless Angel
Chapter 2 Memories
Chapter 3 Smaug
Chapter 4 Bonds
Chapter 5 Reuniting
Chapter 6 Lakemen
Chapter 7 Acorn
Chapter 8 Survivors
Chapter 9 Necklace
Chapter 10 Bargains
Chapter 11 Preparations
Chapter 12 Gundabad
Chapter 13 Trade
Chapter 14 Mark
Chapter 15 Last Hope
Chapter 16 Fight
Chapter 17 Wall
Chapter 18 Centuries
Chapter 19 Thorin
Chapter 20 New Wave
Chapter 21 Legolas, Grace, and Tauriel
Chapter 22 Council
Chapter 23 Return
Chapter 24 Stand Off
Chapter 25 Fili
Chapter 26 Bilbo
Chapter 27 Kili
Chapter 28 Legolas
Chapter 29 Azog
Chapter 30 It Was Real
Chapter 31 Recovery
Chapter 32 Bofur
Chapter 33 You
Chapter 34 Jacob
Chapter 34 Legolas Greenleaf
Chapter 36 Fili Durin
Chapter 37 End

Chapter 35 Alex Blackheart and Kili Durin

17 1 0
By alliekatt314

Allie

~~~

It has been days since the battle ended but it will be a century at least before the wounds are healed.

Today is the funeral for Alex and Kili, tomorrow Fili, and the day after Bofur. Dozens more funerals are planned for the following weeks after the battle.

Life seems bleary and bleak now. It feels as thought I have not worn a color other than black in years.

Even so I don it again.

~~~

"I would see happier days for you," Thorin murmurs as he wipes a stray tear from my eye. It is joy fitting him comforting me, he has lost a nephew as well as I have lost a sister.

"The agony will fade and we will know joy once again," I promise and he nods. "We must move forward, rebuild Erebor and our lives anew."

"Yes, we shall wed and you made queen," he muses. "I will see a crown upon your head."

"A hobbit queen? Sounds silly," I mutter and he smiles.

"It is unique like you."

"You should know Thorin Oakenshield I will not be a pretty queen with no wits about her," I warn and he chuckles.

"A pretty queen with many wits and plans you shall become," he foresees and offers me his arm. I take it and stand, we both support each other.

Each of us takes agonized steps away from our tent and into the streets crowded with black garments and lowered heads.

Grace is standing by the stretchers with the bodies laid out and covered in silk on top of them.

The strongest of us will carry them to the tomb of glass and stone straddling the border between Greenwood and Erebor. Each has a casket of stone base with partially shrouded glass coverings.

Sam, Grace, Smaug, and Thranduil shall bear Alex while Balin, Gloin, Nori, and Ori shall carry Kili.

Thorin and Fili would be the main carriers to lift Kili but Thorin is far too injured and Fili long dead.

Tauriel comes from the tent of the gravely injured with Natalie and Emily beside her. She is reluctant to leave Lacy, but Alex was a dear friend.

The elves have already begun to sing soft laments of their lives while the dwarves sing chanting tales of their triumphs.

Thorin stiffens by my side at the dwarvish music and I rub his arm, a gesture that is the barest amount of comfort.

"I can shoulder your weight my love, while we make this long trek," I murmur to him and take his arm around my shoulders. Thorin leans on me and I help him to the start of the line.

Softly we start, one foot after the other, into a life without Kili and Alex.

~~~

A small infinity later do we arrive at the tomb and I help Thorin step aside so the bodies can be carried in. Thorin is exhausted and appears to have aged years since we began.

Inside Alex and Kili are set down beside each other and locked into their graves.

The carriers step back out where the onlookers wait for words to be spoken.

Thorin steps forward away from my grasp and clears his throat, in his hands he clutches the stone given to Kili by his mother.

"This talisman was given to my nephew by his mother, Lady Dis, as a promise that he would return to her. What Kili did not know was that she had given me a similar one," Thorin produces a small stone with runes carved into it from his pocket and displays it to he crowd. "A vow she made me take, in the common tongue it translates roughly to 'bring my sons back to me Thorin or so help me I'll skin you as father used to and take that Mahal-forsaken mountain for myself.'" Thorin pauses and the audience smiles somberly while he is wearing a crushed expression. "I tried to protect him and I failed."

"Thorin," I murmur and return to his side. "It is not your fault." He nods to me and then continues, allowing me to remain by him.

"When I discovered my nephew was completely connected to Alex Blackheart, the Balrog Child, assassin of Middle Earth, and guard of Greenwood I was horrified rightfully so." A few chuckle and Thorin half smiles. "After the fear passed I became relieved. My nephew would be protected and allied with one of the strongest women to ever walk this land, surely he shall be safe with her. As it turns out their bond was their greatest strength and most deadly weakness. When relief passed into grief I became filled with gratitude. Alex and Kili were solely connected to each other in life and they will be solely connected in death, neither will ever be abandoned to walk the Undying Lands alone, and for that I will be eternally grateful. May they wander and rest in peace."

The people clap and tears fall from all eyes.

"There, there, my love. They are together remember that," I whisper to my distraught dwarf. Thorin nods and I usher him off to the side so Grace may speak, for the second day.

The stone elf stands and strides to the tomb, facing away from the crowd momentarily before turning to face us.

"Alex has been my partner for decades, a lifetime. We have killed together, fought together, lived together for an age, for most of my immortal life. We were to be partners forever, side by side while all else faded to dust, but I cannot follow her, not this time. Alex and Kili, no farewell words were spoken, there was no time to say goodbye, they were gone before we knew it, and only the Valor know why."

Grace steps back and I exhale sharply. It's time for me to speak, time for me to say something of comfort, but I'm drowning in the loss as well.

Leaving Thorin to steady himself on the walls of the tomb I make my way to the arch in the center.

"Before the battle, Alex and Kili cane to me with a final request. They knew there was a chance they wouldn't survive the fights and they accepted that fact. Kili and Alex asked me to assure their names would not be forgotten, that their memories wouldn't rust and turn to dust over time. I promised them I would make them golden legends, heroes to be remembered for all time. I intend to keep that promise by writing about them in all the storybooks, by reinforcing this tomb until I am positive it will last the trials of time, and by telling their story over and over again to anyone who will allow me. The names Alex Blackheart and Kili Durin will not be forgotten."

My speech gains raucous applause and I manage to grin.

"So wander in peace Alex and Kili, we will look after things for you here."

~~~

The funeral ends and the procession leaves all except for Grace, Thorin, and I. We linger to say things that must not be said to the crowd, private things just for us.

The king goes in first and utters words of kuzudhal to his nephew and then his would be princess. I pay no mind to attempting at ciphering the speech, it should be private. When he comes out I kiss him softly and head in myself.

"Worry not dead companions, Death is a friend of mine and you shall be well cared after in Hell. Alex you're even somewhat of a legend down there, and Death is grateful for the sinners you've sent to him. If afterlife gives you any trouble, just tell him you know me and it'll get you right fixed."

Smiling fondly I run my hand over their shrouded caskets and leave a kiss on the surface.

"You will be missed forever."

~~~

Grace

~~~

"Alex I fear our epic quest is laid to rest with you, one cannot hunt the most evil creatures on this earth alone." My hand rests on the surface of her sarcophagus, over her heart. "I set out North tonight, I refuse to haunt these grounds like a fading ghost."

She is silent and will forever be silenced. Her face is peaceful despite the jagged scar.

"Tell me Alex if we were to go back to the start of this, back to the night dwarves entered Allie's home, would you shut the door on the face of Kili and return to your pork chops?"

There is no response, but I know the answer regardless.

"Yes, I suppose you wouldn't."

~~~

I accompany Allie and Thorin back to Dale where we return to our tent. Thorin has been sharing the royal tent with the living members of the company who are not in the royal healing tent.

~~~

Sam

~~~

"She means to leave," Legolas whispers upon observing the shifty mannerisms of Grace.

"Then you must tie yourself to her soul now or be doomed to spend eternity with me," I murmur and cross my arms. "I shall help you do it."

"Thank you."

With the uneasy spirit beside me I follow after Grace into the tent.

"Grace may we speak outside?" I request and she nods. Hastily I lead Grace away from the tent and into an empty alleyway of Dale.

"What is it Sam? Here to empathize with my loss?" Grace asks apathetically and I flinch. An image of Jacob's face enters my vision, making me recoil. Grace expression is that of stone with no regret in her eyes.

"I am here to give you a gift," I hiss and abruptly place both my hands on each side of her head. Murmuring the word for 'calm' in elvish I urge her mind to sleep and her eyes slide closed.

"You can put minds to sleep?" Legolas exclaims in surprise.

"I can calm troubled minds, but only if I can catch them off guard," I reply and urge him to come closer. "I've never done this before but once I do, you better stay out of her sight until she's alone. I suspect the bond and your grip on the world will grow stronger as your tie to her grows. I wouldn't be surprised if you could begin walking the earth again, however you'd share strength with Grace."

"You mean Grace and I could remain together until her death?"

"No, I mean you'll remain with her until you find peace and it'll be a half life. You'll most likely remain invisible to everyone at most times, flirting between this world and the passageway to the next."

"As long as I can stay with her."

It's hard to hear, Jacob is gone and I will not see him until I die and I may live forever.

"Give me your hand." Legolas offers it freely and with enough focus I can take it in my own.

The tether is faint between us. Breathing deeply I squint my eyes and summon all my concentration and strength.

Reaching out I grab the tether, it feels icy cold and stings in my grip. I grit my teeth and pull the ghostly string away from me, it snaps harshly and Legolas moans in pain at the loss. Before he can lose his grip on this plane I hold the tether to Grace's heart and murmur chants of binding in elvish.

Finally it connects to her and I can let go.

"It is done, now blink away," I instruct and shakily stand.

"Thank you Sam."

"Promise me one thing Legolas."

"Anything."

"You will protect her on her path and continue to until she makes her way back to us."

"Grace Bloodlust shall come to no harm for as long as I am by her side, I  make this vow to you Samantha of Rivendell."

~~~

Grace

~~~

Those in the tent are sleeping soundly, having been exhausted with grief. I awoke moments ago with a lapse in my memory from after the funeral, I conclude it's from grief.

Quietly I begin gathering my weapons and rations for my trip. I'll stop by Greenwood and gather more of my things.

Legolas was buried with his circlet, his bow, his daggers, anything that could be a keepsake for me. Alex was also buried with her twin swords and her trophies. There is nothing of importance I can carry with me now.

When the things I have here are packed I strap the bag onto my back and slink away from the tent.

I make it to the entryway of the city where Legolas's horse, Havo, is tied up.

"What are you doing?"

A shudder runs down my spine, how could I have not heard her coming?

"Be careful about your answer now Grace, because if you say you're leaving without thinking to say goodbye then I shall never forgive you," Allie threatens coldly.

Slowly I turn to face her, she is standing there with a horrible betrayed expression on her face. I can say nothing to her.

"Tell me why," she orders.

"I can not linger here, there is nothing for me."

"So I am nothing then? Grace in times such as these we must stick together," she argues and steps forward to take my hand.

In a second she's recoiling violently as her veins run black with the pain she's taken.

"Grace, if you are in that much agony you must stay with me. You have lost a great deal and we must heal together. You are a piece of my soul Grace, if you leave now we will both suffer for it."

"And if I stay I will fade within the year!" I snarl and she flinches back.

Every second I watch her crumbling face I can feel the grey seeping into my chest more and more so.

"Grace how will you feel so far from me? Please don't do this, stay here with me, with Emily, with Sam, with Thranduil. Think of Thranduil he has nothing left," she pleads and I turn from her. With one hitch I pull myself onto Havo and adjust in the saddle.

Allie stands on the ground, looking up at me with her wide doe eyes and I know she won't let me go unless I crush her hope.

"Promise me you'll come back! Just once at the very least! Come back for my wedding and the coronation, I'll need you by my side! Grace please just say you'll come back!" My expression falters, I wish not to see Allie marry the man who killed her...but if I give her this empty promise she shall allow me to leave.

"I promise."

Turning away I try desperately not to hear her cries. She won't let me go, she can't, I have to make her.

"Allie the two years I spent away with you I was not on a long term mission, I was with Legolas. I have been lying to you for your entire life about almost every aspect of mine. Let me go now so we can live honest lives apart from each other."

I await no response, one swift kick to Havo has him bolting off into the night with me astride the saddle.

Allie screams after me, she cries for me, and I ignore her.

In the corner of my vision I see a bright flash and then hear bones cracking, I still do not turn back.

It is time for me to move on from this life.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

365K 10.3K 50
Amara, daughter of Lord Elrond, finds herself as the fifteenth member of the company of Thorin Oakenshield. A quest to reclaim a homeland leads her s...
355 23 23
Both books (Unrequited + Unreturned) have been combined into one coherent story. This includes bonus material, such as a confrontation between Anodie...
23.4K 678 31
🥇#1 in Thorin 4/10/2024 The reader joins the company on the quest to reclaim the dwarven homeland of Erebor. It becomes much more problematic than...
1.8K 63 11
There was a Princess in the Woodland Realm. She was the oldest of four children. Unlike her siblings, though, she was forced to stay inside the kingd...