Imperial

By everadalton

Slave to humans all her life, Argentum longs for freedom. When an opportunity finally arises, she finally esc... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Book 2
Book 2 is out!

Chapter 19

3.1K 317 60
By everadalton

All at once, my heart fell. Of course Kronx had noticed us! It was next to impossible to hide anything from the placid dark blue dragon. He seemed to know everything; was aware of everything.

Carefully, I observed him, looking for any signs of the rage that I had seen first hand only moments ago. But as always, the ancient drake gave nothing away as he stared at us icily.

Shuffling uneasily, I lowered my head guiltily. 

"I've never seen anything like it," quipped Rutilus, golden eyes shining with admiration. But I could see his tail twitch nervously, anxious that the dark blue dragon could turn his wrath towards us. After a moment's hesitation, he added, "I wish I was able to see it again."

"I would rather you do not," Kronx rumbled, but did not offer an explanation. Instead, instead he just watched both of us with an unreadable expression.

With a sigh, I turned away and rested my head on my talons. It was impossible not to wonder why the ancient dragon would prefer if we never saw such a fight again. Did he not want us to fight that well? No, that wasn't right. If he did not want us to be able to defend ourselves and win a battle, he would not have Rutilus and I sparring so frequently.

Maybe it was because he knew that if we were to see a fight again, it would be against him and another dragon. A dangerous dragon. The Dragon King, perhaps? Or even Argon - the dragon whom Amaroth had mentioned. Regardless, it would probably be for similar reason today. Even though... Why had Kronx been fighting the white and blue dragon? Why would he?

Curious, I kept watching Kronx. Asking why would only ever give me a vague answer. But maybe...

"Who is Amaroth, anyways?"

Kronx stiffened, swinging his massive head towards me. Both silver eyes stared at me intently, and I resisted the urge to shrink away. "One of the Dragon King's imperials," his voice was quiet, reluctant to give anything away. But upon noticing my confusion and surprise, he added blearily, "And yes, Argon - the dragon that Amaroth mentioned, is the Dragon King."

No wonder Kronx had reacted so. From what I had seen yesterday, and again today, the dark blue dragon held grudge against Argon. As much as I wanted to know what had happened between the two, I knew better than to ask. Perhaps someday he would tell us. Whenever he deemed us ready. 

"Should we continue to spar?" I asked the dark blue drake, flicking my tail towards Rutilus. Hissing quietly, the bright red dragon shuffled nervously as Kronx swung his head around to stare at him. 

But my question might as well have been ignored. The ancient dragon did not answer, instead staring through us as though we were not there. Knowing that it would probably be hours before he said another word, I slipped into the water. 

Warmth encompassed me. Content, I stretched my wings out, easing that faint burn in my throat that I had quickly learned to ignore. From the corner of my eye, I could see Rutilus glancing at the glowing water, contemplating whether he should hop in or not. 

With an anxious glance towards Kronx, the bright red drake took a hesitant step towards me. 

But that was as far as he made it. 

""Someday, he will come after me himself," the dark blue drake rumbled, as though that statement was factual. Rutilus froze in his tracks, staring up at the older dragon with an unreadable expression on his face. One that did not go unnoticed by the dark blue dragon, but was not questioned.

Kronx blinked, the faint click echoing through the cavern. I could have sworn that sorrow flashed across his dreamy silver eyes.  In a deep, monotone voice, he added, "You can not be here when he does."

My head snapped towards the dark blue drake immediately.

"But in the meanwhile... you must train hard. Time is limited; slipping away faster and faster. If Argon was to find you..." the dark blue drake trailed off, not meeting my eyes. With a quiet snarl, his silver eyes flashed dangerously as he continued. "Keep sparring. But keep in mind the battle you just saw outside."

I could do that.

Before Rutilus could turn his calculating gaze towards me, I swept into the sky. Beneath me, the red drake grunted in annoyance as I shook countless water droplets of me, all of them raining down on him. Amused, I risked a glance betneah me. Rutilus was already peering up at me carefully. Screeching gleefully, I glided effortlessly around the cave, taunting Rutilus.

Another grumble as he spread his dappled gold wings, launching after me powerfully. Too powerfully. If I moved out of his way, he would go barrelling into the cavern's wall, and I would win. There would not be so much as a fight.

But if I could win...

Hovering in the air, I watched as he streaked towards me. At the right moment, I ducked underneath him, using my tail to slap his exposed underbelly. Rutilus recoiled, barely stopping himself before he crashed int the wall.

Nostrils flaring, he glared at me. "Clever," he acknowledged with a dip of his head. "But that won't work again." Already, I could see the difference in his position - everything inside him seemed to relax. Not quite as powerful or fast, but it would be easier for him to react.

"We'll see about that," I chuckled, sweeping my wings about beside me as I circled the cavern once more. This time, not to taunt him, but to -

With a snarl, the red dragon leaped at me once more. Fast enough to throw me off balance, but much more careful this time round. Ducking under him would not work. And, with the distance between us rapidly disappearing, escaping would soon be out of question, too.

My talons pushed against the wall even as I threw myself towards Rutilus. Not even a moment later, and I yelped as hard scales were slammed against me. Trying to ignore the now throbbing pain, my talons swiped feebly at the red dragon. At least he too, was dazed.

Wind rushed past me, thrusting me down towards the ground. Alarmed, I pushed away from Rutilus. Wheezing, I struggled to breath the warm air around me. My chest throbbed, making each breath agony, and my throat burned.

Burned more than ever, demanding water, demanding to be soothed. Immediately.

Water, I needed water. Needed to sooth the fire in my throat, and aching chest.

No, I snarled fiercely, not daring to even think about the warm water beneath me. Must have fire. Surely there isn't long left!

From the corner of my eyes, I saw something lunged towards me, snapping bright red jaws. But I could do nothing, think nothing as the burning in my throat strengthened. Jaws gaping, I breathed out harshly, needing that burning to go away.

But it kept getting worse. Hotter, and hotter, and hotter, convulsing up my throat. Burning more, and more.

It needed to stop, it needed to stop, it needed to -

Heat flared from my mouth. So hot, that I screamed in pain. Scorching and raging fire, consuming me from the inside. I could have sworn I tasted smoke on my tongue, and saw the dark substance coiling from my jaws.

In front of me, Rutilus's eyes widened in alarm as he darted away.

Not even a moment later, fire spewed from my jaws. Glowing an unearthly shade of yellow, the fire writhed and tumbled, slowly flickering as it died away. 

Incredulously, I stared at the very spot where the bright yellow fire had dissipated. Disappeared; as though it had never been there. The wisps of smoke was the only evidence of the fire. Unable to turn away, I stared. Unable to comprehend what had just happened.

"What happened?" Kronx bellowed upon noticing that we were no longer sparring. His silver eyes widened as they followed the trailing smoke. Expectantly, he turned towards Rutilus, but the red drake merely shook his head, his own eyes wide.

I did not shrink away from the dark blue drake's intense stare.

Instead, I was still captivated by that very spot in which the fire, my fire, had disappeared.

When I opened my jaws, my throat did not burn. In fact, there was no trace of any of the burning I had just experienced. Not even an injury. Slightly relieved, I meekly mumbled, "fire."

§

1433 words

More edits for a few more chapters will be coming through soon. :D

Vote + Comment if you enjoyed

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

467K 26.2K 60
[BOOK 1] Not Edited - For the edited version see my bio Aquilam and Ignis, two clans fighting each other for more than a thousand years now. A pl...
47 14 6
IN TIMES OF PERIL, THE ANCIENT DRAGON LORDS WOULD APPEAR, providing aid and salvation to the Empires of the world. Their power brought many victories...
4.3K 519 20
What are wings for if not for flying with dragons in the realm where islands float in the sky? The life of order and monotony is not enough for a win...
1.3M 72.9K 120
Born with glowing green eyes. Destined for rotten luck. Peasant girl Meya Hild was "given" the opportunity to become a Lady. At swordpoint. By merce...