Fear me, Love me

Από moonkeeper

Book Three of the Werewolf Keeper Series. Ryder and Lauren are fighting on opposite sides in a world war. De... Περισσότερα

Demons in the Sky
Wintry Heart
The End
Swallowed by Shadow
Grim Reaper
Message for Rabbit
The Sanguinem Guard
His Name was Legend
Maniac with a Borrowed Face
Forever Property
Ryder's Desire
City of Masks
Whispered Surrender
Love Triangle
Bad News
Vampire Directory
Death Whisperer
Welcome to Irrenhaus
Stheno's Heir
Sworn Brothers
Storm the Bastille
Chasing after Time
A Bloody Dawn
The Flayed Man
Year of the Bat
Candy Blood
Goodbye Gomorrah
Wild Heart
The Elder
Happy Thoughts
Daddy Hades
The Aboveworld
Like Father, Like Son
What Lurks Beneath
Memento Mortuis
Epilogue

The Underworld

723 68 3
Από moonkeeper

"What's this?" Chloe asked looking inquisitively at the paperwork Ryder had handed to her.

"You're freedom." He turned his back on her. "Take it and get far, far away from here." Chloe's heart jolted in her chest.

"Why?"

"Because-" his voice shook, "because I know you're not her." Chloe stared at the back of his head.

"Oh." He nodded, biting his lips as tears glistened in his dark eyes. Her anger at him scattered like dandelion seeds in the wind. 

Ryder flinched when Chloe touched his arm. "I'm sorry." She whispered.

"Who sent you?" She licked her lips – hesitating.

"Prince Naethro. He wanted me to spy on you and..."

"And?"

"And he wants to know where you're keeping a vampire-"

"Russell."

"Yes."

He sniffed. Naethro had done all this – had his heart torn to shreds – for one vampire.

"Why are you still here? Just go!" He snapped. Chloe pocketed the documents but paused in the doorway on her way out. Looking over her shoulder she saw a tremor pass through Ryder.

"Lauren is my friend. That's why Naethro bought me. If you do find her – tell her Chloe Wilder misses her." He nodded stiffly. "And Ryder...you should know that... Thorn loves you." He didn't reply. Chloe turned and left. Ryder heard her footsteps fade away and raised a hand to cover his unsteady mouth.

*

The leaves were gold, amber and rusty red on the trees and a scattered few fluttered down to rest upon the lakes dark surface. In the distance the mountains sheltered them – a physical barrier between them and rest of the foul world. Twilight settled a brief hush over the woods. Peter groaned as he fell back once again upon the hard ground. His hand went up to tenderly touch his abdomen.

"You open up old wounds." He complained bitterly. Liam was unrepentant as he stood over him waiting for Peter to stand on his own.

"Babies whine less than you do, brother." Huffing Peter got to his feet – his hands melting away to green smoke.

Lewis crashed into him – knocking Peter's legs out from under him. Liam sniggered as Peter swore loudly. Lewis paid him no mind, already springing back on his feet – his pulsating gaze fixed on Ryder. Sweat glistened on Ryder's exposed torso – the drops sliding down the definitions of his chest and abdomen. His ferocious stare was an animal possessed as he stalked toward his prey.

Lewis hissed in frustration blocking the onslaught of blows but still Ryder pursued him. Blue fire crackled in bands running up and down Ryder's arms. Ryder's fist caught him in the mouth. Blood sprayed out over the forest foliage and Lewis' skin blistered from Ryder's touch. Ryder's blood roared in his veins. 'I know it was the same for me, with Lewis'. Lewis attempted to run, melting into the air and Ryder bellowed enraged. 'With Lewis'. A wall of blue fire erupted from cracks in the earth – caging Lewis in.

The hybrid put his hands up in surrender. There was a moment – a moment when things might have gone another way. When murder seemed hot in Ryder's gaze. The moment passed and fires extinguished. Lewis lowered his hands.

"I still cannot make your wolf surface," Ryder commented panting for breath.

"He hates me too much to come to save my life." Downcast Lewis turned and walked slowly into the lakes freezing waters.

Ryder watched Lewis' lazy strokes as he broke through the glassy surface.

"Your minds elsewhere." Liam commented. Peter looked away feigning devoted interest to drinking from his canteen. "You don't sleep, you don't eat-"

"Enough," Ryder interrupted putting up his hand to silence Liam.

"You two have never been apart for this long." Grinding his teeth Ryder turned and stormed away. "This punishment hurts you too!" He shouted to Ryder's retreating back. Peter knocked Liam's arm and shook his head in warning.

Liam bit his lip and kicked a stone in frustration. Peter watched Ryder leave them, his forehead creased with concern.

"How is Thorn?" He asked in a hushed tone handing Peter the water canteen.

"He's in the underworld," Liam retorted his gaze hard and uncompromising, "how do you think he is?"

Thorn walked through the freezing halls of Lethe. Ash fluttered down like eternal snow – a constant reminder of Mishael's burning fires. The Lord of the Underworld offered a particular misery to any who betrayed him. The fires burnt but did not kill.

"They burn!" Duat had cackled delightedly, "they burn forever!" The memory of the chimera's hysterical laughter sent shivers down Thorn's spine.

"It has been a long time since a necromancer touched down on this realm," Lord Mishael had drawled. Thorn had been forced to his knees before the ancient warlock, clawed hands crushing his shoulders. "Ryder does send me such interesting gifts." Lord Mishael had leant down and caressed Thorn's face, his long nails scraping down the scared skin. "But none as beautiful as you."

Thorn's frown hardened as he marched on – his breath fogging before his ice bitten lips. His heart clenched around a single name. Ryder. He remembered Ryder's hands – the pain as he'd unleashed the raw energy upon Thorn's skin. 'I only want to save you'. Thorn's hands clenched into fists – his fingertips blackened from the cold. This was the first time Ryder had punished him just simply to hurt him.

"You're mine now." Lord Mishael had declared imperiously, "and fortunately I have immediate use of you." He'd looked down at Thorn expectantly. Slowly Thorn had bowed his head in submission. "I want you to go to the Empty Edge – the resting place for all souls – and free the Grim Reaper."

Lewis prowled through the crumbling villa keeping to the shadows, his keen gaze on the man practising in the courtyard. Liam punched a solid ice block, his fist passing cleaning through sending broken chips scattering across the dirt. He turned to his left and grinned at Lewis.

"What are you?" Lewis asked, leaning back against the villa's cool walls. Liam extended his tongue – allowing him a glimpse of its forked tip. "A snake?" Liam laughed.

"My grandmother was a gorgon."

"How did you end up with Ryder?" He asked as Liam picked up a towel to wipe the sweat from his brow.

"Ryder came to the underworld and adopted me as his brother. He saved me." The corners of Lewis' mouth twitched. "What's that look for?"

"I can't make Ryder out. Is he good or is he bad?" Liam shrugged.

"Does it matter?"

Lewis scratched the side of his nose - thinking, "he saved me too I guess."

"You guess?" He snorted, "Vampires are braying for your blood."

"Speaking of blood."

"You're still thirsty?"

"It's a curse."

Liam grimaced, "I'll get you something."

*

Ryder stood by the lake looking up at the bright full moon and its milky light reflected in his midnight eyes.

"You wanted to see me." Lewis spoke when Ryder failed to react to his intrusion. The hybrid kept a healthy distance between them – his expression wary. Ryder didn't even glance in his direction.

"How did the werewolf Shayne Christie make your list?"

Lewis' jaw clicked and he took a deep breath through his nose.

"My pack was destroyed – because of him." Ryder raised an eyebrow – interest flashing in his eyes. "A rebellion rose in his name – he claimed without his knowledge," Lewis' smile was bitter. "The pack divided. Wolf turned on wolf."

"When my men went to your pack they found no one there."

"Hunters picked off the remaining survivors." A cold chill blurred the moons light upon the lakes obsidian surface.

"And Shayne?"

"Survived. He found me out and told me it all." The bitterness in Lewis' tone was evident.

"Why?"

"He claimed he wanted my leadership. That was until Phelan interrupted us and told him we'd abandoned the pack." Ryder pursed his lips thoughtfully.

"Shayne's a wolf with honour," he commented lightly.

"He beat the shit out of me." Ryder whistled.

"Tough guy. That doesn't answer my question though." He turned to face Lewis properly, "why is Shayne your enemy."

"I just said-"

"You had no interest in returning to your pack. Are you sure it isn't your guilt that enflames rather than hatred."

Lewis hissed and stormed off. Ryder sighed wearily.

"I can make you turn." Lewis came to an abrupt halt. "I've had my people working on something." Lewis was by his side in the blink of an eye. Ryder held up the syringe for him to see. Its contents was a clear syrupy substance. "It should trigger the chemical interactions that make a werewolf transform."

"Should?"

"You're the first guinea pig." He rolled his eyes and Lewis' expression, "relax. You're immortal."

Lewis accepted the syringe – frowning heavily.

"I'll be honest. I was expecting you to chain me up. To continue my training."

"You're no longer brother material."

"Should I be offended?"

"Yes."

Lewis unsheathed the needle and stabbed the vein in his arm. Ryder grinned watching Lewis sink to the ground his shoulders tense. Ryder's knees clicked as he sank down to Lewis level. He peered at the hybrid – his interested gaze following the tremors in Lewis' legs.

"Who let the dogs out?" He whispered softly. Lewis eyes locked with his and he growled. Ryder clapped his hands together in triumph. "Yes!" He got to his feet, pacing happily to the water's edge. "YES!" He punched the air. He spun around and faced the gigantic black wolf in Lewis' place.

The phone buzzed noisily on Ryder's desk. Peter ambled into the office – his blonde hair dripping wet with a towel wrapped around his slender hips.

"Ryder's phone," he greeted the caller.

"Peter it's Elle," she replied recognising his crisp formal accent. "I need to speak with Ryder."

"He's out."

"Tell him he needs to come back."

Peter frowned, "what's happened."

"A shit storm. I need him here now." She hung up without waiting for his response.

Ryder swept into his office at the base with a severe case of attitude. Elle followed him with her eyes as he flopped into his chair and propped his feet up on the table.

"What is it Elle?" He asked irritably.

"How could you do that to me?"

"Do what?" Ryder asked sounding bored and checking out his nails.

"Leave. I woke up and you were just gone without a word-"

"I needed a break Elle." There was a warning edge to his tone, "which you interrupted because?"

"Wabyt's sent you a video message." Intrigued Ryder removed his feet from the desk and opened up his laptop. "Vacations over Ryder. You're out of time to deal with whatever shit's going on inside your head."

"Language." Ryder chided automatically.

The video started blurry but when it snapped into focus Ryder's blood boiled. He glared at the footage of Chloe, gag around her mouth struggling desperately against her captors.

"She had papers with your stamp. They must have guessed she had value to you and gone digging. Now Wabyt thinks she's got Lauren – the love of your life." Ryder listened to Wabyt's list of desires before roughly closing the laptops lid.

"She's being more direct about her mistrust of me." He commented, the veins throbbing in his temple.

"Your prolonged absence must have worried her." Elle retorted pointedly.

"She's doing this because she thinks my potential alliance with the resistance might topple her."

"Doesn't mean it definitely will. The resistance hate you – perhaps even more than they hate her."

Ryder got to his feet and marched toward the door.

"What are you going to do?" Ryder spun on his heel and turned on her in an instant.

"I will not give in to her demands."

"You have too!"

"Are you crazy!?"

"No I see the future, remember!?" They were nose to nose and breathing heavily. "That woman is going to kill the demon bitch –her life matters more than either of ours!"

Ryder's stared down at her incredulously.

"I'll be the bad guy. There'll be no coming back from that." Elle put her hands on her hips her expression stern and uncompromising.

"You were happy enough to be the bad guy before. You tore the world apart – slaughtered millions," tears pricked in Elle's eyes, "just for the resources to find Lauren." She flung her hands up in defeat. "This betrayal of Wabyt is it because you regret what you did? Or was it just about winning her heart once you found her."

"Enough Elle!"

"WHAT DO YOU WANT!?" Both of them were breathing heavily. "Whose side are you actually on?"

"You used to fight."

"A long time ago."

  "When you fought for what you believed in!"

Συνέχεια Ανάγνωσης

Θα σας αρέσει επίσης

4.3K 120 17
Jacob Black was heartbroken. With Bella fully enamored with Edward Cullen and on the brink of turning into a vampire herself, he had nowhere else to...
Pure in Heart Από Julia

Φαντασίας

2.7K 2 50
The war between Werewolves and Vampires continues. Neither side appears to be winning, something needs to happen. Two people with the same intentions...
333 16 12
What happens when things don't go their way between one of the Ultima's of Werewolf High? They do whatever it takes to get what they want. Myka fight...
3.5K 85 21
Enter Aliyah Martin's life as she stands beside her best friend—now current boyfriend—as he struggles to maintain his anger and protect the people of...