Bad News

Ryder brought her to the libreria nazionale marciana – a beautiful 16th century library. She followed Ryder through the eerily silent rooms.

"What are we doing here?" She found herself whispering – not wanting to shatter the spell that seemed to hang over the old place. Ryder didn't reply. He hadn't even looked at her as they'd gotten out of the boat and walked across the Piazzetta di san Marco.

He brought her to a reading room where an old spindly thin man appeared to be waiting for them. The stranger bowed low to Ryder.

"First Prince," the man hissed. Chloe's eyebrows shot up and turned to Ryder questioningly. He'd gained rank on Prince Naethro.

"News travels fast." Ryder commented. His sullen tone puzzled her. The old man straightened and Chloe gasped. His pupils were perfect slits and glowed a fantastic green. Snake eyes.

The man grinned evilly at her reaction, his smile literally reached his eyes – his mouth could stretch horrifyingly wide.

"Especially bad news." Chloe winced at the sound of his hissing voice that sent shivers running up and down her spine. Ryder didn't comment. The man gestured to the book he had laid out on the table. "As requested." Chloe squirmed and inched closer to Ryder.

"Leave us." The man bowed and backed out of the room.

Ryder strode towards the table his gaze fixed upon the open book. It looked incredibly old.

"What was that about?" She asked. Ryder continued to ignore her. "Please stop shutting me out." She snapped impatiently. Ryder's back stiffened. "I'm trying to be honest with you as I want you to be with me." Ryder turned and glared at her. Chloe flinched back automatically.

"What about that kiss?"

Chloe looked down awkwardly at her feet.

"I don't want to play games with you." She been sent into his path to seduce him in service of Naethro. She didn't want to help that monster. But if Ryder would just be good – if he could change sides. She wouldn't have to. Her expression was wretched with indecision.

In a fit of passion Ryder closed the gap between them and seized Chloe's face in his large hands. He forced a kiss against her tightly compressed lips. Just as quickly he pushed her away from him and stormed back over the table, slamming his hands upon the table top. Chloe stumbled and fell on her backside. She stayed on the floor, holding very still, staring up at Ryder.

"Fine!" He sounded bloody furious. He breathed heavily through his nose – fighting for control because smashing up the library with her inside of it wouldn't be a good idea. He could hear blood pounding in his ears. He loved her – with every broken chip of his weary soul – but...

"I know. It was the same for me," for as long as he lived he'd never forget how she'd looked at him then, "with Lewis," as if he was nothing in her eyes. His breathing returned to normal.

"I won't keep asking for more." His heart hurt as he made that promise. He'd hope, every day, that she'd learn to love him but until she did he couldn't risk losing her again.

Shakily Lauren got to her feet.

"Thank you." She mumbled awkwardly. Ryder sighed.

"I brought you here to look at this book." She moved cautiously to his side and peered at the old faded parchment. "It's about hunters." She didn't say anything. "Look this section here talks about their eyes." Chloe played with her hair nervously.

"Okay..." she stretched out the word playing for time.

"It's a history of your people. I found it only recently." Clearly she was missing some important information because Ryder had lost her completely.