The End

Lauren trekked through the forest with the remainder of her unit. The tree canopy allowed only slender pools of light to break through and touch the forest floor. It felt like she was walking through another world. A breeze ruffled her hair and Lauren flinched. The feeling had only lasted a moment. She stared hard through the dense forest, her heart fluttering in her chest. "You ok?" Chaga asked, touching her arm. Lauren sighed, it was her imagination and nothing more.

"Yep, I'm fine." They fell into step, walking in comfortable silence.

"Man I'm starving!" Broke in Saarvi, putting her arm around Lauren's shoulders. "When do you guys reckon we're stopping?" Chaga knocked Saarvi's arm down and scowled at her irritably. "How old are you Chaga?" She asked, unfazed by his gruffness. "You can't be as old as you look or else they wouldn't let you in the army." Lauren's eyebrows shot up and she struggled to suppress a chuckle. "I heard you were in another unit before ours and that something happened. A scandal."

"I don't want to talk about it." Chaga snapped, stomping off ahead. Lauren stared at the back of his head, surprised by his outburst.

"You shouldn't spend so much time with such an old man, Fox," Saarvi spoke seriously, "it's weird," Lauren turned to her curiously. The tiny Indian woman was a strong character in the unit, divisive like marmite. Lauren liked her.

"You know something? About Chaga." 

A cheeky grin returned to Saarvi's young face.

"If I do, how badly would you want to know?" She asked eagerly. Lauren rolled her eyes. Saarvi put her arm around her shoulder once more and pressed her lips against Lauren's ear. "I know stuff. So persuade me."

"Chadha, go scout ahead." Barked Captain Grey, appearing from behind them.

"Yes, sir."

Lauren was left alone with the captain and an uncomfortable knot formed in her stomach. Rylan Grey was dressed casually - as only the son of General Grey could get away with. He wore a baggy hoodie and walked with his hands stuffed in his pockets. His wild white hair had grown longer since their first meeting and now he wore it tied up with a delicate braid at the front.

"Captain," she greeted stiffly.

"Don't say anything. Just walk beside me." The captain commanded firmly. Lauren compressed her lips into a hard line.

*

Lauren quickly backed away - the voices of her comrades buzzing in her earpiece. They'd come across an abandoned mill with all its windows bordered shut. It had been a routine check but this one had flushed out a nest of a dozen vampires. She fired her gun up at the ceiling. A shaft of sunlight streamed down - shielding her. She scanned her surroundings. The walls were covered in sticky residue and dust danced in the sunshine. Gradually the light dimmed.

"Get out of there!" The lieutenant commanded through her earpiece. The clouds had shifted and their sunlight was gone. A vampire charged at her - fangs bared. Not fast enough to dodge - the vampire sent her crashing to the ground. Lauren hissed as her head smacked the ground. He straddled her waist and snapped at her protective visor, causing cracks to spread over the glass.

Lauren flicked her hand back, causing a blade to extend from her wrist. With one powerful thrust, she pierced the vampire's chest. Blood bubbled up from his midsection. He shrieked and Lauren watched in fascinated horror as purple lines spread over his face. His body spasmed and blood spewed from his mouth - drenching her front. The drugs infused in her blade were quick to take over - paralysing the vampire in minutes.

When he finally went still Lauren was able to catch her breath. Shoving hard against him she managed to wriggle free. She got quickly to her feet and peered through the smoke, trying to discern the vampires' movements. Her hand went to her earpiece.