Wild Heart

"And so the king and queen regretfully parted with their baby girl, trusting her care to the three good fairies." Lewis turned the page, revealing an illustration of a tiny cottage surrounded by trees. "They went into hiding," he continued in a soft tone, "living deep in the forest and, so that the evil witch couldn't find them, none of them could use magic. For sixteen years..."

"One good fairy," Peter interrupted. Lewis looked up from the book and frowned.

"What?"

"I'm the only one who's not allowed to use magic - again." He sighed dramatically, picking up his jacket from the side. 

"I'm not on about us. I'm reading Sleeping Beauty."

Peter shrugged, "works as a parallel."

"So Ryder would be the cursed princess?" Roxanne giggled at the idea. Lewis' expression smoothed at the sound of Roxanne's laughter.

"What are you guys doing?" Ryder asked, appearing in the doorway.

"I'm reading to the baby." Lewis explained gesturing to Roxanne's large bump. Peter snorted.

"Stupid thing to do before the baby's been born."

"I think it's great." Ryder retorted, his pointed expression made Peter hang his head in defeat. "I'll read something this evening. I want the baby to get used to my voice."

"It's Liam's voice it should be getting used to." Peter muttered sullenly.
"And it's your voice it hears too much of." Ryder snapped but the damage was done – Roxanne's smile had faded.

They weren't living in a tiny cottage. Instead they lived in two caravans. Whenever the conflict got close they simply moved on. It was difficult – lacking in privacy. When Ryder stepped back outside he saw Liam's retreating figure stomping moodily into the trees. He must have heard Peter's words. Ryder sighed heavily and made to follow after him but an uncertain toddler waddled across his path. Ryder scooped up Mason Junior before he face planted the floor.

"You're getting heavy," he commented - smiling at the child. Little Mason wrapped his chubby arms around Ryder's neck. "Let's go find mummy."

He carried the little one into the other caravan. Harriet was asleep at the table – her head bent at an uncomfortable angle. Ryder put Mason Junior down in the middle of his toys before gently moving Harriet so her head was rested against her arm. He covered her with a blanket, his gaze lingering on her furrowed expression, and sighed. He'd let Mason down.

He'd got so lost in his own grief and heartache that he'd been blind to everyone else. Sure he'd ensured Harriet and the baby were healthy and wanted for nothing – but he hadn't been there for them, not really. The world he'd created – Wabyt's world – it wasn't the world any father would want for his son. Ryder sank to the ground, his knee's clicking, as he sat down beside Mason Junior. "I was a good man once." Ryder told little Mason as the child handed him blocks, "before the magic."

Reaching over he ruffled the child's soft hair. "Power's an addiction. It's my addiction but I'm clean now." He looked around them at the caravan's cramped walls. "I'm powerless." Little Mason smiled happily up at him. "I'm going to try and be a good man. Almost as good as your father was." Mason Junior clapped his hands together excitedly. Ryder chuckled.

That night Lewis had the first shift. A February frost had settled on the barren branches of the trees and the air tasted crisp and fresh. Lewis' gaze flickered up to the coffin strapped to the roof of the caravan. He could hear Russell moving inside – trying to get comfortable in his restraints.