City of Masks

"What's this?" Chloe asked.

"Your new cell." Ryder gestured for her to enter. They were in a small office. A corner of the room had been sectioned off with new bars creating a snug cell between a bookcase and a filing cabinet. She was locked in this corner cell. She watched Ryder slide the key into his back pocket before he strode across the room and leant against the desk so that he could face her.

"This is your office?"

"Yes."

"Why am I here?"

"So that I can watch over you." Her head snapped up and she stared at him - taken aback. Ryder's lips twitched but he turned away before she could read his expression. He took a seat, draping his legs over the chairs arm rest - sitting languidly like a contented cat. Her little cell had enough space only for a bed. Maniac sat down upon the creaking mattress. "I'll never let you out of my sight again." He promised in a low purr. "And however long it takes - a year, half a century - I'll make you love me."

He opened his laptop and attempted to ignore her. But every nerve tingled as he focused on not looking in her direction. He heard the groan of springs as she lay her head down against the pillow. She rubbed her temples and at one point muttered "shut up" to no obvious source. She was better at being oblivious to him then he was to her. It was maddening.

"When did your eyes stop glowing?" He managed to make his tone sound bored and disinterested.

"Err..." he glanced across and, seeing her troubled expression, frowned.

"Answer me." Chloe was saved by Ryder's phone buzzing. "Don't make a sound." He warned her. Chloe nodded uneasily. "My queen." He greeted respectfully. Chloe stiffened. He was speaking with Wabyt - the mother of demons. "An attack - apparently the resistance is stronger than we thought-" Ryder stiffened, his grip tightening on the phone. "I understand." Chloe watched him put down the phone - his expression murderous.

"Why do you work for her?" Ryder looked up at her and his heart skipped a beat. She was beautiful. Laying on the bed - looking up at him with a soft vulnerable gaze. "Why don't you fight?" Ryder's jaw twitched. He leant back in his chair and his jacket pulled back exposing more of his hard torso.

"Fight and die you mean." Chloe sat bolt upright.

"You used to fight." She snapped angrily. "You were part of the opposition once." Ryder's eyes flashed dangerously.

"A long time ago."

"When you fought for what you believed in!" Ryder swept a great fist over his desk - knocking the contents onto the floor with a mighty crash.

"ENOUGH!" Chloe got to her feet - her hands clenching the bars that contained her. "You know nothing!" He roared - storming to the bars. He stood over her - trembling in a passionate fury.

"Yes I do!" Chloe stared up at him her heart hammering in her chest. She took a deep breath. "You think that if you fight things will just get worse again. That if you behave everything will be alright." Tears clung to her lashes, threatening to spill. "But it won't. You just get weaker and weaker until you've given up everything. Until you've got no courage left!"

Ryder stared down at her, breathing heavily and looking more scared then she had ever seen him. "You're not alone Ryder. I'm struggling too." She reached out through the bars and placed her palm over Ryder's heart. Ryder gasped. Her touch made him shiver and his eyes darkened with longing. "I understand you Ryder." He stepped forward - leaning into her touch. "We're both broken." Ryder leant down - lowering his head to her level.

"Fix me." He whispered. She nodded, closing her eyes. Slowly - gently - Ryder kissed her. The iron bars supported his weight as he melted into the feel of her soft, yielding lips. Ryder pulled back and Chloe stared into his eyes - his stormy, grey eyes. He'd helped the demons. When the fight was raging, when they'd stood a chance - he'd joined the enemy's ranks. She could still see the bodies filling the banks of the Thames, turning the waters red. He'd massacred an army.