Whispered Surrender

Ryder woke with the feeling of being watched. He opened his eyes in time to see Thorn retreating from the doorway. Ryder parted his lips to call out to him but was stopped by a soft, sleepy moan from his fair companion. She rolled over and nuzzled her face against the warmth of his chest. Ryder's heart fluttered erratically in his chest. As gently as he dared he held her close - his large hands encircling her waist. He stared down at her, all tiredness forgotten, admiring the child like innocence of her slumbering expression as she dreamt soundly in his arms.

Ryder's eyes flashed back to the doorway. This was Lauren's room - what was Thorn doing here so early? Unconsciously Ryder's grip tightened around her. Chloe's eyes flew open. She spun off the bed in an instant and darted across the room careening into the chest of drawers with a resounding thud. Ryder sat up, his eyes wide with concern.

"Are you alright?" Chloe met his gaze, breathing heavily. She nodded but the tension didn't leave her. Ryder swung his legs over the edge of the bed and moved to stand but froze when she flinched back. "I'm not going to hurt you." He promised softly.

Chloe grabbed a fistful of her hair, tugging at the roots. The slight pain helped her to focus on the present and to stop the onslaught of memories from overwhelming her. Tears pricked at her emerald eyes but she blinked them back - not allowing them to slip their lashes.

"Th-thank you." She stammered.

"Thank you?"

"For staying with me last night." She cleared her throat, beating her fist against her chest as she paced agitatedly.

Ryder watched her in silence for several minutes. She let go of her hair and restless fingers latched only the hem of her loose fitting scrubs, tightly scrunching up the cheap material.

"Well done." He offered at last as he smoothly rose from the bed. Chloe's face scrunched in confusion. "You were having another attack but you kept in control of it and didn't start screaming. That's very good progress." He smiled kindly down at her. Chloe's mouth went dry and her gaze fell to the carpet at Ryder's feet. He chuckled, ruffling her hair as he walked passed. Chloe watched him leave and a hesitant smile crept onto her lips.

Breakfast at the hotel was very small. It was a buffet run by a flustered young man that mainly boasted coffee and heavy looking pastries. Chloe took the vacant space beside Thorn. He didn't say anything in greeting and continued to glare morosely into his cup. Chloe glanced around them - checking that nobody was within ear shot.

"Can we talk?" She whispered.

She scowled when Thorn continued to ignore her. "I need your help. I thought you wanted to save Ryder too." Her quick eyes noticed Thorn's fingers twitch before he hid them from view beneath the table.

"I thought you didn't want to." He murmured.

"I said that I couldn't and I can't - not without your help. I need to know if Ryder's being sincere with me - about his intention to change sides."

Thorn finally looked at her, his intense brooding eyes boring into hers.

"What do you want?" The harshness in his tone surprised her. Chloe bit her lip. What did she want?

"I don't know." Thorn turned in his seat to face her properly.

"Who are you?" Chloe's heart skipped a beat and sweat moistened her palms. Thorn caught the fear flash across her eyes.

"Am I interrupting?" Ryder's voice rumbled from behind them. He took the seat opposite them and Thorn immediately pulled back to create space between him and Chloe.