Fear me, Love me

By moonkeeper

Book Three of the Werewolf Keeper Series. Ryder and Lauren are fighting on opposite sides in a world war. De... More

Wintry Heart
The End
Swallowed by Shadow
Grim Reaper
Message for Rabbit
The Sanguinem Guard
His Name was Legend
Maniac with a Borrowed Face
Forever Property
Ryder's Desire
City of Masks
Whispered Surrender
Love Triangle
Bad News
Vampire Directory
Death Whisperer
Welcome to Irrenhaus
The Underworld
Stheno's Heir
Sworn Brothers
Storm the Bastille
Chasing after Time
A Bloody Dawn
The Flayed Man
Year of the Bat
Candy Blood
Goodbye Gomorrah
Wild Heart
The Elder
Happy Thoughts
Daddy Hades
The Aboveworld
Like Father, Like Son
What Lurks Beneath
Memento Mortuis
Epilogue

Demons in the Sky

2.1K 75 11
By moonkeeper

Ryder awoke. His heart felt like lead in his chest and he gritted his teeth against the onslaught of pain, Lauren, even you, Lauren, my Lauren. He was lying in the back of a heavy armoured vehicle, hands secured behind him, ankles bound and mouth sealed shut with duct tape. His battered leather jacket with its worn and frayed lining gaped open to reveal his chiselled torso. His muscles rippled with each breath and beads of sweat glided down his smooth skin, catching in the deep contours of his abdomen before eventually snaking their way down his narrow hips.

Ryder wasn't an ordinary man. He had been once, a mortal of flesh, blood and bone. Then he'd been abandoned in a top secret government facility called Project Blue. They'd destroyed him and then they'd resurrected him. After escaping he'd completed what they'd started, harnessed his new power and dreamt of its potential. But then, Lauren. Just the thought of her caused bright, exquisite pain to pierce his wild and bloody heart. He lay still, feigning sleep, allowing his mind to linger over torturous thoughts.

"You make me feel whole, you make me feel like a man again and not a monster. Loving you has saved me." He'd spoken sincerely. For the briefest, most foolish moment, he could see a future for himself. A future that made him smile, made warmth spread through him and his soul soar to the heavens. Now his heart bled at the cruel truth.

"I know, it was the same for me," her eyes, her astonishing eyes had looked down at him for the first time, "with Lewis." The most painful thing hadn't been the needle, but the knowledge (the cruel certain knowledge) that she was telling the truth.

Lauren's hair billowed out behind her as she increased the motorbikes speed, the engine growling between her thighs. Wade had his hands wrapped securely around her waist and his knuckles whitened as the devastation that lay before them became apparent. Screams for help, blaring sirens, wails of grief and the roar of the flames crashed over them in a terrific tidal wave.

"What are they?!" Wade shouted in her ear. Lauren could only crane her neck and stare in mute horror.

Monsters filled the sky, their colossal wing beats fanning the flames. There were so many of them, overwhelming the village and devastating everything in their path. Demons. They were huge, hideous, salivating creatures with taunt scarlet flesh and blood stained mouths. "LAUREN!" Too late. A demon caught them from the side and Lauren was sent flying through the air. She spun, her insides plummeted and everything seemed to slow down. Until her back smacked against the ground. She rolled, tears filling her eyes. Grass scratched at the side of her face and droplets of blood dribbled down her chin.

A gloved hand touched his stomach and Ryder stiffened. He recognised the scent that filled the air. A lazy finger traced down his body and Ryder snapped his eyes open.

"You're awake." Ryder's blood ran cold as memories flooded him. Gabriel smiled. It was just the two of them in the back of the van, and already the air felt like it was growing thin. Ryder pulled away and moved to sit upright. The hand on his chest travelled upwards, fingertips caressing his collarbone.

How dearly Ryder wished he could use his powers. But he couldn't. He couldn't even feel them. This was Gabriel, his master. "Hush, hush." Gabriel whispered softly as Ryder began to tremble violently. Gabriel's voice was light and girlish and he smiled sympathetically. Lies. It was the laughter Ryder remembered most, so many times he'd awoken screaming with the sound of Gabriel's laughter fading away.

The vehicle did a sharp turn and Ryder's head thudded against the wall. Gabriel was on his knees but he raised himself a little, closing the distance between them. Gabriel's skin was whiter than paper, blue veins mapping all over him, his eyes pale and colourless. Soulless. Gabriel's long fingers danced over Ryder's rough throat before he stroked Ryder's sweaty face, his touch reverential.

Ryder vomited but the gag on his mouth kept the hot bile searing in his throat and on his tongue. "How I've missed you, sweet one." Gabriel giggled. Tears cascaded down Ryder's handsome face. He wished he could die. Death would be a mercy. Gabriel's touch changed, he gripped Ryder's jaw securing it in place. Leaning forward he licked the tears from Ryder's cheek. "I've missed the feel of you. But now I will feel you," he pressed his moist, cold lips against Ryder's ear, "again and again."

An almighty blast made the ground tremble. Rolling onto her back Lauren stared up at the row of houses. Heat engulfed her as flames whooshed out of the windows. Thick, black smoke billowed in a vast column, blocking out the sky, and clinging to her throat and eyes. A demon flew overhead, shrieking gleefully. It dropped what it had been holding and something heavy thudded to the ground at Lauren's feet, splattering blood up her shins. She nudged it with the edge of her foot. A child's head stared up between her legs, mouth still open in a soundless scream. Lauren's gaze snapped up to the infested sky, her eyes shining as bright and cold as diamonds.

The vehicle swerved and Ryder grunted in pain. Gabriel's sickening smile didn't falter. He had Ryder pinned beneath him and continued his harsh thrusts, riding him mercilessly. The veins in Ryder's neck stood out as his face flushed scarlet. He screamed but from behind his gag, only the desperate wailings of an animal escaped. The side of his face was pressed up against the trucks floor. He tried to focus on the feel of the cold, hard steel against his cheek, to numb himself to what was happening - as he'd always done before.

The vehicle veered again and it seemed they were driving much faster now. Gabriel huffed and grunted, his sweat causing their skin to stick together. He moaned as he came, making one long, inarticulate sound of pleasure. Lowering himself, he rested his head against Ryder's dark hair.

"Your blood's on my cock." Gabriel's spit trailed from his mouth and dripped onto Ryder's nose. "Your filthy, tainted blood," his voice was breathless and so unbearably sweet.

Suddenly the truck lost connection with the ground and they were rolling. Ryder braced himself as his body collided between the trucks hard walls. The pain slammed into his body and he and Gabriel became tangled as the truck rolled across the highway. The truck teetered on its side for an awful moment, the metal groaning under its weight, before finally crashing down and coming to a halt. Ryder stirred slowly and looked over to his master. A thin trail of blood gleamed on Gabriel's forehead but his pale gaze was sharp and clear. Snarls filled the air outside and the metal shrieked as the doors were prized open. Ryder squinted in the harsh sunlight.

Lauren fired her gun at the creatures' heads. The bullets struck but she watched in dismay as the demons flesh healed again and again. Screaming in frustration, she threw herself at the demon before her. She pinned it to the ground, trapping its wing under her knee, and slashed viciously with her knife. The demon shrieked and writhed. Lauren gritted her teeth, black demon blood soaking her dirty face.

The demon extended a long forked tongue and planted a slobbery lick over her mouth. Lauren recoiled and was instantly yanked off the creature by an attack from her side. She was flying through the air, rising higher and higher. The demons claws held her securely under her armpits, the talons digging painfully into her flesh. As she watched, the people on the ground grew smaller and panic gripped her.

The demon unhooked its talons, dropping her. Just in time, Lauren seized its leg and she clung onto its clammy flesh. The creature thrashed, attempting to kick her off. Grunting, she pulled her body up and was able to reach one of its large wings. They started to spin in the air, tilting dramatically and plummeting a couple of feet. The demon shrieked, its hot, foul breath assaulting her face. She gagged, her grip loosening.

The demon caught her wrist and raised her in the air like a rag doll. She winced as pain sliced through her arm. She heard the protesting crack of her bones. The demon cackled and Lauren screamed as she fell. The wind rushed in her ears and tears streamed down her face. Impact was sudden and unexpected. She was being cradled in a set of arms.

Lauren gasped, her breathing coming heavy and violent as her heart pounded in her chest. She tightened her trembling grip on her hero and looked up. Hannah Winters, the werewolf keeper, wasn't looking at her. Her gaze was only for the demons flying overhead, and it was deadly. "You s-saved me." Lauren stammered. Unceremoniously Hannah set her down on the ground and stood protectively in front of her.

Gabriel screamed as a set of talons wrapped around his ankles and yanked him into the sunlight. He clutched desperately for something to hold onto, his fingers clawing at the trucks smooth floor. Ryder made no move to help him. Wary, he got to his feet and backed up. Gabriel's screams changed, taking on a gut-wrenching quality. A violent spray of blood spewed up the walls and soaked Ryder's front.

Icy sparks shot from his fingertips. He gasped, the breath knocked out from him. His magic was back. He barked a short, mirthless laugh. His master was dead, finally, definitely, dead. With ease he tore his wrists free from their bonds. Blue magic danced playfully between his fingertips.

The demon entered the truck, sniffing the air with interest. Ryder appraised the creature with his cold, grey eyes. He noted its scarlet, reptilian skin and the horns protruding from its skull. The creature hissed threateningly, revealing sharp canines adorned with gore and torn flesh. It was faced with a man, a man with his trousers around his ankles, a man with tape over his mouth - he was faced with a man with dark magic at his fingertips. He was faced with Ryder, the immortal broken one.

Lauren gawped. Hannah looked magnificent. Her dark hair was billowing about her shoulders and she was stood tall, proud - like a queen. The demons circled above, keeping a wary distance. Moving so fast that Lauren didn't even see it, Hannah was suddenly several feet away and holding a car in one hand. Lauren ducked as Hannah threw it over her head, knocking a couple of demons out of the air. They jabbered and made shrill noises, retreating further back.

Something caught Lauren's eye. A movement, so small and hesitant that perhaps there had been no movement at all. She turned and stared, not wanting to believe it. The world seemed to turn mute around her and she staggered forward. "Wade," she croaked. She fell to her knees. The breeze ruffled Wade's dark hair, as she crawled on her hands and knees over to him. "Wade," a broken sob caught in her throat.

She reached him and trembled in fear. He was lying so peacefully. "Wade!" Lauren pleaded, her eyes filling with tears. She reached out and shook his shoulders. "P-please!" He didn't respond. She shook him more violently and his head lolled lifelessly. A fleck of blood gleamed on his pale lips. Making a strange keening sound in the back of her throat, she pulled his body towards her and cradled his head in her lap.

A wail of absolute, wretched pain escaped her lips and she clutched Wade to her with all her strength. Not Wade, please not Wade. He's didn't do anything wrong. Please. She hunched over and screamed. It was like her heart had been wrenched from her chest, she felt the void, felt the vast hollow ache and it was killing her.

"Give her a message from me!" Hannah shouted up at the demons that filled the sky. "Tell her that I'll make her wish she never came to this world. Tell her that I will annihilate your kind completely. I SWEAR IT!"

In that moment, when Hannah promised to commit genocide, Lauren had to agree with Ryder. Prophecy was a very tricky thing.

The demons took flight - like a swarm their blood red bodies rose up higher into the sky and headed for the horizon. The glow from the fires shone in Hannah's wild hair giving her a fiery aura. Ashes danced lazily in the greasy air, pretty as snowfall. But the desperate moans and wailing of survivors was its own awful kind of Christmas carol. Lauren stroked the side of Wade's face. Already he felt so cold.

"You mean it?" Lauren's voice was husky. "You'll kill them?" Hannah turned and looked down at her. She nodded solemnly. "Let me help you." Hannah frowned, staring at Lauren's astonishing eyes.

"What are you?"

"I hunt monsters."

"But-"

"That's what I do and what I am."

"LAUREN!" Her head snapped up at the sound of her brother's voice. Ollie threw himself at her, pulling her into a tight hug. Lauren's heart lurched - aware that Wade had been flung unceremoniously onto the ground.

"Ollie," she pulled back and stared at him, tears filling her eyes, "Ollie!" His face was a mess, badly swollen with blood crusted around his mouth and nose. "Are you ok? What about mum and dad? Where are they?" Ollie sobbed, clinging onto her even more tightly. He shook his head. Lauren felt a fear so intense it made her insides freeze.

"They're d-dead. I tried to save them but..." Lauren sagged against him.

"No," she choked. Lauren's eyes dimmed - their supernatural glow melting away replaced by dull forest green. She gasped - struggling to catch her breath as all strength abandoned her.

"Thank you for the offer." Her gaze snapped up to Hannah's whose voice had become distant and calm. "But I'm responsible for all this suffering. It's my burden to make it right." She vanished, leaving only a breeze to ruffle their hair.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

351K 6.6K 18
Summer Robertson has just moved to Forks, Washington, and isn't expecting much. When her life is flipped upside down and she becomes friends with wer...
78 1 8
Part two of my Twilight rewrite series: New Moon! This follows the book as the Cullens leave Forks, Washington and Alexandra and Jacob grow closer! K...
333 16 12
What happens when things don't go their way between one of the Ultima's of Werewolf High? They do whatever it takes to get what they want. Myka fight...
2.2K 65 13
A werewolf and a vampire are fighting to stay together with all odds stacked against them. Will true love win or will they never be able to be togeth...