Rowan and Aelin Fluff.

By Aelin-and-Rowan-19

All rights to Sarah J. Maas. Just some fluffy one-shots of Aelin and Rowan. #throneofglass... More

He didn't Dance
More Than the Stars
Author's Note
Years Gone By
A/N
Mala's Blessing
A/N
Rowan's Return
Courts and Calamities
Stormy Nights
Day Is Done
Night Has Fallen
Courts and Calamities Part 2
Swimming
Tattoos
I Love You
Author's Note (Must Read)
Breakfast AU
Savior
No Matter What
Old Languages
Broken Beds
Captured
The Wound
Author's Note
Snowfall
New Beginnings
In a New York Minute
Labor and Toil
Labor and Toil Part 3.
Labor and Toil Part 4

Labor and Toil Part 2

8.2K 59 3
By Aelin-and-Rowan-19

 Contrary to popular belief, giving birth doesn't just *happen*, so in this fic, you will see the real side of birth, not the Hollywood version.

     Rowan felt icy hot fear race through his veins as Yrene nodded her assent. Aelin paled, her hand shooting out to grab his. "But Aelin, as this is your first child, the first stage of your labor will take some time, so I would prepare for a long day and night. Your water hasn't broken yet, right?" Aelin nodded slowly. Gods, she was pale.
    "Well, expect that in a few hours, and as soon as it happens, send for me." Rowan squeezed Aelin's hand lightly, "We will." Aelin only groaned, "Can't you just yank him out?"
    Rowan shut out the image, and glared at her. Yrene also seemed mildly concerned at that little quip, and shook her head vigorously, "No, for a few reasons, but I can give you an extremely mild pain tonic." Aelin swallowed hard, "I'll take the tonic."

  After asking Yrene just what the hell they were supposed to do until Aelin was ready, Rowan and Aelin decided to tell their friends. But that would require they get dressed.

"Rowan? Can you grab this dress for me?" Aelin voice wavered slightly, and Rowan turned from his side of the ginormous closet. He quickly made his way over to Aelin, who was having difficulties reaching one of her blue dresses. He slowly handed it to her. Rowan watched as she slipped it over her body, the soft blue silk sighing against her skin. Her hair was still in its knot, pieces flying free. Aelin tugged it down over her bump, looked at him.
  "You're starring, Buzzard."
   He smirked and made his way behind her to tie her laces. 
"You are beautiful, why shouldn't I stare?"
  Rowan tugged lightly, and made a knot before turning her to face him. "We are going to be fine, Aelin. I promise."
     Her eyes shuddered, and she heaved a breath as she pressed her face to his chest.
     "I know, it's just so scary. I— this poor little baby's going to be in our world, and out here I can't protect him. I can't protect him from the mean things, or the things that hurt." Rowan felt his shirt grow damp beneath her face, and for once he didn't have a speech, so he told her the truth.

"I think that's the part about being a parent, growing and feeling with your child. Learning how to give and take, letting them pick themselves up every once in a while, and the rest of the time being for them when they fall." Aelin groaned, and Rowan thought he had laid it on a bit too thick, but when he saw Aelin's grimace of pain, he realized it was just another contraction. He ran a hand up her back in a soothing manner, murmuring into her hair, "Do you still want to call for them? We could just tell them when you are ready." Aelin considered it.

"I just want to tell Aedion and Lys. But I wish Elide were here."
   Rowan nodded against her head, "Lorcan said they'd be here in a week or so." Aelin sighed heavily and pulled away, a hand on her stomach. "I'd just like to speak to someone who knew what it's like. Someone who knew what it was like to bring a child into the world."
   Rowan smiled down at his queen. She was so beautiful, and his heart ached with how much he loved her. Rowan didn't think there were words for what he felt every time he remembered that she was with his child, that she wanted this, that they were going to have a family. He leaned in to kiss her neck, then nipped at her jaw. "Brush your hair, Princess. Then we can call the hounds."
   Aelin elbowed him sharply, but waddled off to the bathing room to finish up.

    Aelin sighed through her nose as she dropped onto the fainting couch in their sitting room, watching as Rowan arranged the wood in the hearth. He stepped away and she ignited it with half a thought. The pull of her magic felt odd, though. For the past two months, whenever she'd pulled on the thread of her magic, it felt ... unstable, as though it could go out of control at any moment. Perhaps it had something to do with her fluctuating emotions. Aelin sighed through her nose and grabbed a throw pillow, slipping it behind her. Rowan prowled over slid next to her, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. He always seemed to find a reason to be touching her nowadays.
   She allowed him to tuck her into his side, that familiar scent of his washing over her. "How do you feel?" 
  Aelin cleared her throat, running a hand down his chest. "I feel fine, just anxious." She felt Rowan nod, the hand that was draped around her shoulders made idle strokes along her silk-clad arm, and she hummed a bit at the contact. They sat there for a few more minutes in silence until someone knocked on their door. Rowan sighed and pulled his arm away, groaning as he stood.
   Aelin smiled wickedly as she readjusted herself, "Old Man." He only flipped her a vulgar gesture as he pulled open the door.

      Aelin felt a smile tug at the corners of her mouth as Aedion and Lysandra stepped in, smiles on both of their faces. Aelin rose from the couch with minor difficulties, and tried her best to look regal and Queenly as she walked over to them. She hadn't seen the pair before her in over two months, and judging by their faces they were surprised, to say the least, to see her looking so huge. Aelin hadn't had time the evening before to see them as soon as they'd arrived, busy putting the finishing touches on the baby's nursery. Lysandra hurtled forward, wrapping her arms around her shoulders, careful of her stomach.
"Oh, look at you! You inflated"
   The woman exclaimed, pulling away to examine her. Aelin smiled softly, a hand now covering her belly, "Well, that's sort of what happens." Lysandra smiled even wider as Aedion and Rowan stepped forward, her cousin wrapping her in a crushing hug. Aelin huffed as he crushed her shoulders, and patted him on the back, "Hello, Aedion." .

"Aedion! Careful, you great oaf!" Aelin heard Lys admonish, and Aedion pulled away mumbling sorry. Aelin hadn't realized how much she missed the two in front of her as Rowan sidled over to stand next to her. Aelin grabbed his broad hand, and she could feel him telling her to speak. "Lys, Aedion, I—" Lysandra held up a slender hand, "Aelin, before you say whatever it is you have to say, we have a surprise." Lysandra stepped away and went to the door. Aelin glanced up at Rowan, who only shook his head. He didn't know either.
   Lysandra pulled open the door and in stepped Dorian, Chaol, and Manon.

Rowan watched Aelin's face lift as she beheld her friends, "Dorian! What are you doing here?" The King smiled charmingly, and walked farther into the room, his eyes dancing with delight.

"We decided to come a little early, just to visit before the celebrations." The king wrapped Aelin in a light hug, then turned to Rowan and stretched out a hand, which Rowan shook firmly. "Good to see you, Rowan," Dorian said with a grin. Rowan dipped his head, "And you as well." Manon turned to Aelin, a slightly less horrifying smile on her face than usual.

  Rowan tensed as the witch looked Aelin over slowly, but she only said, "Majesty,   congratulations." 
    That same soft smile returned to Aelin's face, and she turned to Chaol, who seemed to still be adjusting to Aelin newfound size, "Congratulations, Aelin. Nesryn told me to say hello, and that she was sorry she couldn't make the journey, but she couldn't leave Tila."
 Aelin nodded in agreement, "I understand." Dorian began telling them of the journey there, and Rowan watched as Aelin paled and placed a hand on her stomach. Only he and Manon noted the movement. Rowan slid closer to his Mate, and wrapped an arm around her waist, folding her into his side as they waited for the contraction to pass. Aelin wrapped her own arm around his waist and squeezed hard, but her face was blank. It often scared him how good she was at hiding her pain.

  Dorian continued on with his tale, though, chuckling as he told of Chaol being watched by the Little Folk, to which the captain spluttered at and refused the part about screaming when he'd turned over and was met by those depthless eyes. Aedion laughed loudly, and Rowan chuckled warmly. It was good to be back in their company, even if it was at such a tense time. And even if every single instinct in Rowan's body was telling him to snarl and growl at the five in front of him for the simple act of being within spitting distance of his pregnant mate. There was a loud gasp, and Aelin tugged at his shirt, "Rowan—"
 He glanced down at her, the blood draining from his face. "Rowan, my water—"

   Rowan nodded wordlessly, and heard Dorian mutter a curse as he beheld Aelin. "Is she ... Are you?" Manon elbowed Dorian hard enough that he hissed in pain. Rowan didn't need to look at Aedion for the male to swoop in and help Aelin to the couch with him. As they walked he barked at Lysandra, "Get Yrene, and hurry." The woman didn't utter a word as she hauled open the door and shifted into a ghost leopard.

"You're in labor?" Aedion exclaimed as he and Rowan helped her to sofa. Aelin gritted her teeth as she sat, clutching Rowan's hand. She glared daggers at Aedion, but she had no real reason to be angry with him, so she leashed herself, but still spat, "Yes, and I have been for the past two hours."
 Aedion blanched considerably, but said nothing. Wise man.
 Rowan shot a glance towards Aedion, a frown tugging at his lips. "That was why we called you two up here, we didn't expect you to bring the court of Adarlan."
     His voice was rough enough that Aelin squeezed his hand even harder, "Play nice, Ro'." Rowan huffed and sat beside her, a hand settling on her back, his fingers drawing soothing patterns. She leaned into his touch, wishing they were alone. She watched as Dorian moved before her, concern written all over his face. "Do you want us to leave?"

    Aelin looked down at her half-soaked dress, then back at him. "I— Not until Yrene gets here." Dorian nodded, and looked to Chaol, a grin slowly spreading across his face. "Not how you planned today to go, is it?" Chaol stood pale and awkward near the door, shaking his head. "Not exactly." Dorian smirked, and looked back at her, "You know, when Nesryn was having Tila, he passed out."
 Chaol scoffed, "I did not pass out, I—" Dorian cut in, "Fainted." Aelin let out a strangled laugh, and squeezed Rowan's hand, studying his tense face as he shifted his eyes to hers.

We are here for you, Fireheart, they seemed murmur. Aelin took a steadying breath. She knew, no matter what, they would be there, her friends. And he— above all would be there no matter what.
I love you, Rowan. 
 Her king gave her a small smile, and just as she opened her mouth to speak the door swung open, and Lysandra prowled in, bringing Yrene with her.

The healer's face was flushed, no doubt having run up here, her lips set in a determined line. "I want everyone out except the parents-to-be." Aelin looked to Dorian, a sigh escaping her. "I'll see you soon, thank you for the visit, however short it was." Her friend gave her an easy smile, "We'll be here."

   The man started  towards the door, but turned and smiled even wider. "Well, just so you know, if you two are looking names, Dorian means gift. Which I am." Rowan rolled his eyes, scoffing. "First of all, we've decided on names. Second of all, it's going to be a girl."
Ael in felt a giddy laugh blooming inside of her and she realized it was due to her nerves, but she covered it with a cough, and shot a glare in Rowan's direction.
"We are not sure that it's a girl, Rowan."
Dorian chuckled and glanced towards Manon, "Well then, Manon, or even better Doris."

    Aelin  grimaced, and vigorously shook her head. "We are not naming our daughter—" But Yrene was ushering the King towards the door, sending a pointed glance towards both Chaol and Manon. "You can chat when  she's not in labor. Yes, General this includes you and Lysandra." Yrene snapped when she saw Aedion's defiant stance. Both he and Lys exchanged a glance and nodded, reluctantly. Her friends began to file out the door, and she caught Lysandra's eyes.        The shifter gave her a gentle smile, and mouthed the words: You'll be fine.

Aelin nodded giving her a watery smile. They all gave her and Rowan a small bow and left.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.6K 333 71
Throne of glass fanfiction. Celaena Sardothien has many names. Even one she has yet to discover. When she learns a shocking truth about herself, she...
2.3K 62 12
(This story is not finished and wont be getting updates) "No matter what you come first. I will not let you get hurt, whether it be emotional or phys...
37.9K 404 53
Just a bunch of Throne of Glass One Shots Sorted by Ship Rated mature for explicit language. (I try to control them but they can't keep their tongue...
27.2K 786 20
Feyre never expected that her vacation with Rhys and their son would be so disastrous. And Aelin never expected to see to unknown fae females fall fr...