The Girl Who Believed (A Hobb...

By Mohiggins15

Neither of us uttered a word for the longest time. I step towards him with my eyes never leaving his "Do you... More

The Book and the Beginning
Blunt the Knives
An Adventure Awaits
The Tale
Triple Trolls and Trouble
Rivendell
The Gift
Stone Cold
Goblins
Eagle's Wings
End of the Beginning
Part 2: Desolation of Smaug
Mirkwood
Barrel Roll
The House
Swords
Until Tomorrow
Dale at Daybreak
Smaug
Part 3: Battle of the Five Armies
The Red Jewel
Halls of Erebor
Return to Dale
Slipping
The Betrayer
The Traitor
The Battle
The Fearless
One Last Time
Head Off the Snake
The Final Fight
The Wish
The Girl Who Believed
Sequel

Substitute Sendoff

861 32 33
By Mohiggins15

*Molly's POV*

As I had laid by the fire Thorin had gotten up to converse with the others. I'm exhausted from not sleeping well and still freezing from the icy waters two Dwarf Prince's threw me in. Staring at the fire I remember the camping trips my family use to take. The smores we ate and the stories we shared were the best. Staring at the fire and feeling its warmth my eyes grow heavy and soon I find sleep.

I hear a voice in the distance. It's a voice I can hear in my dreams. A familiar yet distant voice in the dark.

"The lord of silver fountains, The King of carven stone, The King beneath the mountain shall come into his own, And the bells shall ring in gladness at the mountain king's return, But all shall fail in sadness and the lake will shine and burn."

I stand in the old city of Dale. I watch as people sing, dance, and children play. I feel happy here, but as I turn the city is in ruins. Bodies are everywhere and fire surrounds me. There are mothers holding dead babies and children cowering in the shadows. Looking at the ground I see a shadow fly from above me. I look up but see Thorin. He sits upon a throne residing in the center of the town.  His face is grey and he sneers down at me wearing a golden crown. In the blink of an eye, fire fills the square and I see a set of fierce yellow eyes of Smaug. The apparition of the dragon snakes around Thorin's feet as if it were Thorin's own shadow. Looking from the dragon to Thorin I shake my head in disbelief and fear. Pointing directly at me the shadow of Smaug surrounds me. I hear screams as well as my own as I fall to the ground while the fire engulfs me.

Gasping I awaken clutching the blanket around me. The house is dark and the fire is halfway out. In the dimly lit home I see that all the dwarf's pallets are empty and I reside here alone. The door bursts open as Bard rushes in. Bain, Bard's son, walks up to him in worry "Da! I tried to stop them-" 

Bard shakes his head "How long have they been gone!?" 

I quickly stand "They're gone?" 

Bard looks to me fretfully "The Dwarves have left." 

I stand there puzzled "They left? No, they wouldn't leave without-" I then freeze and look at the table. The necklace I had given Thorin for good luck is laying there. I pick it up and feel my heartbreak. They left without saying goodbye.

*Thorin's POV*

"Shh! Keep it down." Dwalin scolds. 

All of us had moved through the night in Lake-town. We need weapons and the armory is the best thing we've got. I motion "As soon as we have the weapons, we make straight for the mountain. Go, go, go!" 

With the watchmen gone, I point to Nori, who gets a running start and runs up a pyramid of dwarves who have pressed themselves against the walls of the armory. He is able to get high enough that he can reach a second-floor window and dive through. 

I nod "Next." 

Bilbo steps up "Shouldn't we have at least told Molly we were leaving? What happens when she awakes and sees were gone?" 

I shake my head at the concerned Hobbit "She's safer there with Bard and his family. When it's all over we will return for her. Now go." 

Bilbo sighs and follows after Nori. One after the other we climb into the window until we're all inside. Looking around at the different weapons and armor I smirk happily "Yes, this will do. Gather what you can but quietly."

I glance at Kili who is looking paler "You all right?" I place another sword on the pile he already has he nods "I can manage. Let's just get out of here." 

As Kili begins walking down the stairs his wounded leg gives way and he falls with a cry. The weapons make a terrible clanging noise, and we all freeze in silence looking around warily. In the distance, the watchmen cry out and running footsteps approaching.
"Run!" Dori exclaims. We head to run outside but guards are at us with swords pointed at our throats. Were caught.

*Molly's POV*

"I swear when I get ahold of them..."I breathe as I walk next to Bard down the street. He gives me a sideways glance "What are you doing traveling with them? Could you have not gotten a map and found your own way?" 

I sigh "In the beginning if there was another way I would have taken it, but, I made a promise." Night has fallen and we hear the commotion all the way from the house. 

"They've been caught. Come on." Bard commands. Both of us jog over to the crowd shouting and clamoring. Up ahead I see the guards pushing the company with Thorin in front ahead. 

"Get off of me!" Dwalin roars. Then a very large man with a beard and red hair who reminds me much of the goblin king comes out from his house. He places on his coat and looks around "What is the meaning of this?" 

One of the guards speaks "We caught 'em stealing weapons, sire." 

The master sighs "Ah. Enemies of the state, then." 

The scrawny hateful man from the docks nods in agreement "This is a bunch of mercenaries if ever there was, sire." 

Dwalin's eyes widen and he marches forward "Hold your tongue. You do not know to whom you speak. This is no common criminal; this is Thorin, son of Thrain, son of Thror!" he says triumphantly pointing to Thorin.  Thorin steps forward as the crowd murmurs in amazement.
As I try and get closer Thorin speaks "We are the dwarves of Erebor."
The crowd whispers in shock and recognition, and people crane their heads to see better. 

Thorin narrows his eyes up to the master "We have come to reclaim our homeland." 

As the people chatter on Bard and I keep trying to push our way through. Thorin continues speaking to the people "I remember this town and the great days of old. Fleets of boats lay at the harbor, filled with silks and fine gems. This was no forsaken town on a lake! This was the center of all trade in the North." 

I look around as the people nod and Thorin is speaking earnestly to them. They all share the same past and seem to yearn for the same future. Thorin sincerely speaks to the crowd "I would see those days return. I would relight the great forges of the dwarves and send wealth and riches flowing once more from the halls of Erebor!"

The people cheer and clap, and the Master looks on, calculating "Can anyone speak for you then?" 

For a moment the crowd is silent until I hear an all too familiar voice. Thorin turns and I hear Bilbo "Me. I'll vouch for him. Now I have traveled far with these Dwarves. If Thorin Oakenshield gives his word then he is sure to keep it."

Thorin smiles nodding to the Hobbit and the crowd cheers again. 

"I have to stop this," Bard tells me and suddenly calls out over the crowd. Bard strides forward pushing past me "Death! That is what you will bring upon us. Dragon-fire and ruin. If you awaken that beast, it will destroy us all." 

I furrow my brows now remembering my dream. My stomach twists in knots at the thought of the dragon raining fire down in the already dismembered lake town. 

Thorin points to Bard "You can listen to this naysayer, but I promise you this; If we succeed, all will share in the wealth of the mountain. You will have enough gold to rebuild Esgaroth ten times over!"

The people shout in excitement and they applaud. Their poverty troubles were seemingly over of course they would jump at the chance to support Thorin. However, now I fear of the consequences entering the mountain. The Master looks on, smiling and nodding at this turn of events. I give a few goods shoves past those in the crowd and make it to the front. Bard walks around looking pleadingly "All of you! Listen to me! You must listen! Have you forgotten what happened to Dale?!"

The people quiet down and shake their heads sadly. Some of the elders in the crowd murmur in fear and begin stepping away as if to retreat from the very memory of the beast.

"Have you forgotten those who died in the firestorm?!"

The people shout, "No!"

 Bard glares to the Dwarves and points at Thorin "And for what purpose? The blind ambition of a mountain-king so driven by greed, he could not see beyond his own desire!" 

My eyes dart back and forth worried between Thorin and Bard as they stare at each other angrily. I can see the anger in Bard's face but the hate in Thorin's eyes. I feel torn to step in but then it would be up to me to pick aside. The trouble is I do not know whose side to take. The crowd gets louder, but then the Master steps forth.
"Now, now, we must not, any of us, be too quick to lay blame. Let us not forget that it was Girion, Lord of Dale, your ancestor, who failed to kill the beast!" The Master points accusingly at Bard, and the crowd begins to clamor. As Bard looks away, Thorin looks at him in shock and anger. I see Bard's face of despair and I feel for him. I know his intentions are good but no one seems to stand to reason. 

"It's true, sire. We all know the story: arrow after arrow he shot, each one missing its mark." the scrawny man remarks. Bard looks around as the crowd yells angrily at him. I shake my head and speak "But he gave his last, didn't he?" 

Everyone falls silent and looks at me including Thorin and the company. I shake my head "Shame on you. All of you. Pointing your finger at this man. A man who has helped take care of all of you when others have cast you aside!" 

The crowd whispers and others put their heads down in shame. As I look around I'm hopeful for a moment they will at least leave Bard be, but one word from a bystander gets the crowd in an uproar. 

"But his ancestor is the reason the dragon still lives!" someone exclaims and the crowd begins shouting again. I look back at Bard who looks only saddened. Giving me a quick nod he turns striding forward and speaks to Thorin earnestly. I break from the crowd and walk over to the company as they look at me surprised. 

"Molly..." Nori says softly and I shoot them all a look of disappointment.

"Do I matter at all to you?" I whisper with pain laved in my voice. Some of them won't even look at me and Balin speaks "Of course you do, it's just that-well we...." I turn away in anger not wanting to hear what any of them have to say. I'm too angry to listen to some excuse. I go halfway to Bard and Thorin as Bard glares at him "You have no right, no right to enter that mountain!"
Thorin glares at him and leans forward "I have the only right."

Thorin turns to the master and nods "I speak to the Master of the men of the Lake. Will you see the prophecy fulfilled? Will you share in the great wealth of our people?" 

The people quietly watch in anticipation as Thorin asks once more "What say you?"
The Master thinks for several seconds, then smiles and points his finger at Thorin "I say unto you...welcome! Welcome and thrice welcome, King under the Mountain!"

The Master opens his arms in welcome, and the crowd erupts in cheers. Bard looks on silently at me. He walks over and whispers "If you let him open that door he will unleash fire on everyone." 

With wide eyes, I feel Bard step back and see Thorin. He climbs up a few steps and turns to face the audience; the people hug each other in excitement and joy. Thorin and Bard stare at each other and then Thorin turns to me. He seems shocked and even a little saddened. I give a sad expression but narrow my eyes and turn to a face of anger. It is not only the sting of abandonment I feel but the disappointment in Thorin's action to Bard. Turning the people who once cared and respected him against the boatman. Without another wasted moment, I turn around and begin to push through the company. 

"Molly, where are you going?" Bilbo asks worriedly. 

I keep walking "I have to find my way home. You don't need me anymore. I'm through." 

Fili calls out "Wait! Let us help. You need help to find a way back home."

I finally get past the company and make my way into the crowd "Not from any of you."

---

I sit by the fire at Bard's house alone. Bilbo and some of the company had come to the door asking me to talk to them but I refused. Now I assume they were out partying and celebrating the 'prophecy' or whatever they said it was in regards to Thorin's return. I sit with Thorin's coat over my legs. I stare down at it and think of how his face looked tonight. He didn't look like Thorin Oakenshield. At least not the Thorin I'm used to. He looked at Bard like how he looked at Azog back when the eagles rescued us. Thorin seemed filled with rage and hatred. Staring at the flames in the furnace remembered the dream I had and hearing those words.

"The lord of silver fountains,
The king of carven stone,
The king beneath the mountain shall come into his own,
And the bells shall ring in gladness at the mountain king's return,
But all shall fail in sadness and the lake will shine and burn."

"And the lake will shine and burn...." I breathe "What does that mean?" 

"Where do you intend to go?"

I look over my shoulder to Bard who stands watching me. I force a small smirk with my shrug "I don't know. Our friend Gandalf the Grey was supposed to meet us here, but, we've not heard or seen any sign of him. He's my only hope to return home."

Bard walks over and leans against the fireplace. As he looks at the fire he sighs "Your welcome to stay here until your friend comes for you. However, I can not guarantee your safety should you leave the walls of this house."

I nod "Thank you Bard for everything. I'm sorry about...well...everything."

Snickering the boatman looks away from me with a shake of his head "Not your doing. You seem just as much an innocent bystander as I. All people like us want to do is help and we get shite for trying."

"You are not wrong about that." I mumble pulling Thorin's coat from my lap.

Before Bard leaves the room he glances down at me nervously. He hesitates to speak but when he looks back at me he sighs "You stood up for me out there in front of the crowd and your friends. I thank you." and he leaves the room for his.

Sitting there I ponder many things but my mind shifts to something that I seemed to have forgotten. Home. I sit there staring at the fireplace remembering my own home. I can feel the warmth and smell of my house. Scented candles my mother loved and the ferns my stepfather put out in the house. 

"Gandalf, where are you?" I mutter to myself. Balling up my fists and pressing them to my forehead in anger and sadness I fight my tears. Right now I'm hurt by my friends and just want my family. I want to be in my own house and my own bed and with my friends who would never abandon me. I knew I had to find Gandalf or at least hope he would be here soon. Just then the door opens up and I put my hands down wiping my cheeks. Figuring it was Bard I just sit still not wanting to strike up another conversation. Sitting there the footsteps get closer and I watch Thorin sit next to me from the corner of my eye. My body tenses at his presence and I fear he has come to yell at me or confront me about me speaking for Bard. It is silent for a moment until he speaks "Everyone's at the master's home. You should join us." 

I shake my head "I've never been a party person. Beside's, I doubt I'm welcome."

I feel my face burn turning red. I never spoke out much or got angry so easily, but this journey and these Dwarves have really pushed it with me. On top of it, all my emotions are all out of whack and unstable, but I'm pissed. That I know for sure.

"We thought it best if you remained here." Thorin mumbles "We thought it safer."

I scoff "We? As in the company or you and Dwalin?" 

He turns in closer to me "We were going to the armory and we had enough to go along and carry out the plan. If you were along you would have just been in the way." he stops immediately recognizing the venom in his words... I lean back sarcastically smirking feeling hurt "Yeah, right, well, pretty soon you won't have to worry about me anymore. You'll have your mountain, gold, and throne soon enough. Gandalf will be back, I'll return home, and everything will be exactly the way you want it."

Thorin looks back at me in silence then puts his head down in what looks like shame. What they did was wrong and what Thorin said hurts, but he was right. All my life I had always known I wasn't that good at or worth anything. It hurt, but it's was the truth. 

I sigh and glance to the side "I know why you did it. Why didn't you just tell me?" 

He keeps his eyes down "Because this far into our journey I have come to realize that....that I can no longer guarantee your safety." 

Thorin still won't look at me and I sit there looking at him puzzled. My eyebrows draw up as I try catching his gaze. My heart skips a beat knowing that he does truly care for me in some way. "Thorin, you haven't been able to guarantee my safety at all. But, every time I was in danger or needed you, I found that you were always there." 

Thorin glances over at me and nods "I know, but this time-" he stops and shakes his head "I lost many friends that day to Smaug. I don't think I could bear losing another."

 My heart is moved to say the least and I feel sorry for Thorin. I hadn't been there to witness the horror and I don't understand. How could I? We both are silent sitting there watching the fire. Not knowing what to say I laugh to myself "I threw your cots in the lake." 

Thorin chuckles lightly and nudges me playfully "Of course you did."

"I'm a bad friend aren't I?"

 I giggle looking back as he sighs "I'd say we deserved that, but, that doesn't make you a bad person. Your probably the best I've ever known."

I smile blushing to look away from him but he speaks again, this time more seriously "Your not just a good person to me. You're.....everything." 

My heart feels like it's going to beat out of my chest. I can feel my cheeks turn red and I look down with a wide smile. He clears his throat "And to the company. Y-you also are part of the company and you are very important to us just like Mr. Baggins. You're our other half." 

My hopeful heart sinks a little but Thorin's words still stick with me. I smirk and nod finally looking back into Thorin's eyes "Thank you Thorin." 

He seems nervous-looking away from me. I think about our conversation as we sit back enjoying the fire. I am worried for him. In fact, I'm worried about all of them.

"I am sorry for what I said." he mumbles "I didn't mean it."

I nod "It's okay, I know."

"The company is sorry as well. They didn't mean to betray your trust. They just wanted you to be safe."

I snicker "I know, but, who's going to look after all of you if I'm gone?"

Looking back at Thorin I take in all of his facial features. His piercing blue eyes shining reflecting the burning fire. He's so incredibly handsome and for once on the entire trip, I find myself speechless around him. He sits there looking like he fell out of the sexiest man alive magazine from back home. He smiles amused at my small jest at the company and stares back at me with his incredibly striking eyes. Seeing my own facial expression whilst staring at him his smile fades. He stares back at me and were locked. Now I know for myself that in this instant I am truly, utterly, and completely falling for Thorin Oakenshield. 

"Cold?" he asks breaking my deep staring gaze.

Quickly I avert my eyes nearly jumping out of my skin "Yeah, I am a little."

My eyes widen and my body tenses as Thorin scoot closer until his body is pressed against mine. Taking his coat he covers me up with it carefully.

"There we go." he mumbles leaning against me and wrapping his arm around me. My face is on fire burning and my heart racing, but, I feel content. My body reacts by slightly leaning into Thorin and his warmth. It feels right. 

I turn to look at Thorin and he looks at me.  Our faces out only inches apart and I can feel his heartbeat in his chest. I wonder if he can feel mine. We don't say anything but he keeps staring at me even when I turn away shyly. His eyes are stuck on me and he refuses to look elsewhere. Now would be a great time to make a move and kiss me Oakenshield, but instead he turns away but still holds me close to him and we watch the fire burn until we both fall asleep.

---

I wake up and it is morning in Laketown. Slowly my eyes open to the early sun peeking through. I stretch and close my eyes again only to feel someone move. I look and see I'm laying on Thorin. We are laying on the floor in a pile of cushions by the now burnt-out fire. I gasp and slowly push myself up with redness powdering my cheeks. 

I slept beside Thorin freaking Oakenshield I think feeling giddy as well as flushed. That's almost like actually getting credit for sleeping-sleeping with him!

Noticing him stir I panic and quickly lay back in my place right on Thorin's chest. I mentally curse myself for not just laying next to him to at least pretend I didn't sleep on him, but it's too late. Thorin awakens and I feel him slightly jolt under me. I know he just noticed my head on his chest and I'm sure he's disturbed by it. After only a moment I feel Thorin's fingertips brush through my hair. My heart flips in my chest and my skin tingles with each light stroke of his fingers. Brushing my bangs from my forehead he trails his fingers down my cheek grazing his thumb over my skin ever so lightly. 

I fight desperately to not move, open my eyes, or dare smile. However, with each touch on my face from Thorin the more I begin to unravel. Luckily Thorin pulls away and begins to wiggle his way out from under my sleeping head. Carefully he nestles me back in the cushions and stands to his feet. I await to hear his footsteps step away for a moment before pretending to awaken. Giving one good yawn and over-exaggerated stretch I open my eyes. Thorin is crouched by the fireplace pretending to stoke it. He snaps his head up "Oh, good morning."

I smirk sheepishly "Goodmorning."

Thorin stands and I quickly get to my feet as well. Grabbing up his coat I straighten only to be face to face with Thorin. My chest nearly bumps into his but I take one small step back. The King's eyes look down at me but I keep my eyes to the floor.

"H-here is your coat." I meekly say as Thorin takes his coat from me grateful.

"Thank you. It is nearly time for the dwarves and me to depart for the mountain. I will also need to be gone before the boatman and his family discovers I'm here."

I smirk glancing at the dwarf "Yes, I suppose that would be best."

Thorin playfully reaches up gently brushing his thumb against my cheek "You will see us off won't you?"

"I wouldn't miss it."

---

The people crowd along the sides of the main channel as a boat is loaded with supplies for the dwarves to take to the mountain. I had heard the most sincere apology from some of the others dwarves and Bilbo who is just pleased I'm seeing them off. 

As we head towards the boat Bilbo looks around "You do know we're one short; where's Bofur?" Thorin tosses in a bag "If he's not here, we leave him behind."
Balin agrees "We have to, if we're to find the door before nightfall. We can risk no more delays." As I watch they march along the pier and the dwarves begin to board the boat. They are fully decked out in armor and regal clothing. Bilbo walks beside me and I kneel down hugging him. He hugs me back tightly "Come back, okay?" I whisper and he nods 

"I promise. Don't fret dear one. Once this is all over I will see you off when you return home." He smiles and I smile back watching him board the boat. I look to see Kili emerge from the crowd. He's pale and looks as sickly as ever. Thorin stops Kili before he can get in the boat "Not you. We must travel with speed, you will slow us down." 

I look at Kili and he looks at me then he smiles, thinking Thorin is joking. "What are you talking about? I'm coming with you."
Thorin tosses another bag in the boat "No." 

Fili, who was already in the boat, turns and looks at Thorin and Kili. I glance back at him and he looks at me then to his brother and Thorin. Kili shakes his head "I'm going to be there when that door is opened, when we first look upon the halls of our fathers, Thorin."
Thorin rests a hand on his shoulder with a slight smile"Kili, stay here. Rest. Join us when you're healed."

Kili looks shocked and betrayed and looks at me in despair. Oin gets out of the boat "I'll stay with the lad. My duty lies with the wounded."

As I rest a hand on Kili's shoulder he looks at the ground and I hear Fili "Uncle, we grew up on tales of the mountain. Tales you told us. You can't take that away from him!" 

As Oin tries to examine Kili I look at Fili and hear the word 'uncle' playing in my head. I had only realized and put it together now that Thorin is their uncle. Oin shakes his head "Don't worry lass. Thorin's not as old as he looks. He has an older sister who married young. Don't fret, Thorin was a very young lad when he became an uncle."

 I scoff "Worried? Why would I be worried? It doesn't matter how old he is." 

Kili and Oin only smile at one another and I cross my arms and shake my head. Fili continues to argue with Thorin "I will carry him if I must!" 
Thorin sighs "One day you will be king, and you will understand. I cannot risk the fate of this quest for the sake of one dwarf, not even my own kin."

Fili looks at me and then at Kili. He steps out of the boat. Thorin tries to stop him "Fili, don't be a fool. You belong with the Company." 

He glares at Thorin "I belong with my brother." 

I sigh and look to Thorin who looks disappointed but nods. Now there are only ten members of the company going to face the dragon. The musicians of Laketown play their instruments as the Master climbs up to a raised platform. He waves and the people cheer and clap "Bring good fortune to all!" he says and the people cheer.
I turn to Thorin and give him a smile shoving my hands in my pockets. "So, you're going to slay the dragon."

He shrugs "The ravens are returning. Maybe there is no dragon anymore." 

I stare at Thorin and feel my own fear rising back up as I remember the dream and seeing lake town burning. I nod and sigh and reach in my pocket pulling out my lucky star necklace. I take Thorin's hand and place it in his palm. "For good luck, and this time don't leave it. Remember how your luck went without it." 

I close his hand around it and he smiles and looks up at me "I suppose your right."
I nod patting his hand and start to pull away when he grabs my hand. "Wait." 

I look back at him. Reaching in his pocket he pulls out a necklace of slick and polished carved stone with an amulet designed with writing on it. "It's Dwarvish writing." 

I smile admiring the smooth stone "It's beautiful. Thank you." I say with a smile. 

"It means light. And if you ever find yourself lost in darkness or feel afraid, hold onto it. Hold it tightly and close your eyes and let the light surround you and know that I'm with you and nothing will ever happen to you as long as you wear this." 

My cheeks turn red and I smile. Before I can say anything Balin calls "Thorin, come on lad, were burning daylight."

 Thorin turns back to me and gives me a look as if he had something else to say. I smile squeezing his hand "Be careful, okay?" 

Thorin cups my cheek and nods to me leaning closer "Okay."  

He looks at Kili then back to me "Look after him." He quickly leans in a press a light but quick kiss to my cheek then turns to get into the boat. I stare in disbelief watching him get into the boat taking one glance back over his shoulder to me. I hold the necklace in my hand and watch as the crowd cheers and the dwarves and Bilbo begin rowing down river. Still, in a slight state of shock I stay still despite the crowd that pushes past me to watch the dwarves leave. As they continue downriver I hear panting "Ah bloody hell! I missed it!"

 I turn to see Bofur and he looks to all of us. "Ah! So you missed the boat as well?" 

Kili looks at me angrily "What do you think your doing?" 

I turn to him "Huh?"

 He glares "I'm injured and can't go into the doors but you can and you're wasting your time here?!"

 I hold my arms out "Kili, your hurt, I'm not going to leave you. Unlike some people who didn't want me to go in the first place." 

Bofur sheepishly rubs the back of his neck "Yeah, sorry about that lass." 

"It doesn't matter anymore. Besides, they're facing a dragon. A dragon! Like fire breathing stove with wings! I can't face a dragon. I can't even kill a spider the size of a thimble!" 

Kili smirks "You might not be a warrior or even a good fighter, but for a girl who couldn't kill a baby spider, she took on one in Mirkwood to save her friend, and I say that's pretty damn brave."
"I'm not brave Kili."
I say meekly "I can't do what you all can." 

Fili looks at his brother then me "Listen to me, for you being a girl who slays giant spiders, goblins, and rides iron monsters, I say you're pretty brave. And to put up with this lot. You're braver than you think." 

I shake my head looking down "But I'm so scared." I whisper. Fili nods with a smile holding my shoulder "I know, and it's okay. That's what makes us human.....and dwarves. Helps us survive, but it also makes us stronger when we overcome it." 

Kili chuckles "Yeah, he's right. Also, if you don't go with them I'm telling Thorin how incredibly in love with him you are the minute he gets back."

"Wait!" I call frantically. I race through the crowd of clapping and cheering people trying to catch the boat. I see Thorin sitting there staring down and the others waving. 

"Stop!" I shout. As I try to push through the crowd I'm right next to the boat and I shout again "Thorin!" His head shoots up and spots me trying to push through the crowd. 

"Molly?" he says standing. 

"Wait!" I shout again pushing myself to run faster.

"Stop the boat!" he commands. 

"We can't!" Balin exclaims.

Dwalin looks to Thorin then to me "The current is too strong."

While they can't stop the boat I run fast enough for me to push through the crowd and run down the dock to try and jump in the boat. 

"Omigod, omigod, omigod!" I frantically mutter as I grip the necklace Thorin gave me and jump landing in the boat where Thorin catches me. 

As he steadies me and helps me to Balance we hold one another at arm's length. Thorin chuckles "What are you doing?"

I smirk "Eh, you know me, I couldn't stay away."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

167K 6.4K 41
*SPOILERS BASED OFF ALL HOBBIT MOVIES* "This whole story; from beginning to end, was one of the best and most intriguing stories I have ever read on...
73.1K 1.8K 52
Talia Rue Ashenstone had known Thorin Oakenshield all of her life. From running around the halls of Erebor in their youth to running into battle, the...
22.8K 1K 39
As Dwarves, loyalty is something that we take very seriously. Our fathers were close friends - almost brothers - and with a love and loyalty such as...
45.2K 1.5K 21
"So you've fallen in love with a dwarf?" "What?! No!" When Gandalf came to Mirkwood with a quest of reclaiming Erebor, Alithia Thranduillell couldn't...