The Girl Who Believed (A Hobb...

By Mohiggins15

Neither of us uttered a word for the longest time. I step towards him with my eyes never leaving his "Do you... More

The Book and the Beginning
Blunt the Knives
An Adventure Awaits
Triple Trolls and Trouble
Rivendell
The Gift
Stone Cold
Goblins
Eagle's Wings
End of the Beginning
Part 2: Desolation of Smaug
Mirkwood
Barrel Roll
The House
Swords
Until Tomorrow
Substitute Sendoff
Dale at Daybreak
Smaug
Part 3: Battle of the Five Armies
The Red Jewel
Halls of Erebor
Return to Dale
Slipping
The Betrayer
The Traitor
The Battle
The Fearless
One Last Time
Head Off the Snake
The Final Fight
The Wish
The Girl Who Believed
Sequel

The Tale

1.2K 41 5
By Mohiggins15

*Thorin's POV*

We had made camp on a cliff edge. The ponies were over a few yards away chewing on whatever grass they could get their teeth on. I was leaning against a rock slowly dozing off. I would take whatever sleep I could get considering I hadn't slept or at least gotten any decent sleep in a week. As I doze I only open my eyes seeing the human girl sitting around the fire with Fili and Kili. I watch her as she stares into the fire rubbing her arms. The clothes she wears are very different from those I've seen and not nearly warm enough. 

A loud screech rings out alerting those who are still awake. I sit up quickly knowing good and well what it is. 

"What was that?" Bilbo asks hurrying towards the fire with the others. 

"Orcs." Kili says ominously tossing a twig in the fire. 

"Orcs?" Molly questions with fear laced in her voice.

Fili nods "Throat ­cutters. There'll be dozens of them out there. The lowlands are crawling with them."

Clenching my teeth I grow angrier by the minute with my two nephews. I know exactly what they're doing to the Hobbit and the girl.

 Kili speaks again "They strike in the wee small hours when everyone's asleep. Quick and quiet; no screams, just lots of blood." 

Molly's eyes stare fearfully at the brothers and then clasps her hands together. Even from here, I can see her shoulders tremble. I know if I sit here silent any longer my head will explode. Standing I march over to the fire standing behind Molly. My two nephews look at me as I sneer "You think that's funny? You think a night raid by orcs is a joke?" 

Kili shakes his head looking down wiping the smile from his face "We didn't mean anything by it."

I scoff "No, you didn't. You know nothing of the world."  

Giving Molly one final glance I see her eyes avert from me. I'm making her uneasy so I step away to look over the lookout. 

Balin speaks up "Don't mind him, laddie. Thorin has more cause than most to hate orcs. After the dragon took the Lonely Mountain, King Thror tried to reclaim the ancient dwarf kingdom of Moria. But our enemy had got there first."

My mind sweeps back to the battle seeing the Orcs at Moria and Dwarves fighting against them. My grandfather met the eyes of the Pale Orc. 

Balin continues "Moria had been taken by legions of Orcs lead by the vilest of all their race: Azog, the Defiler. The giant Gundabad Orc had sworn to wipe out the line of Durin. He began by beheading the King." 

 I flinch at the memory of it all and close my eyes. The image of the pale Orc roaring in victory as he held my grandfather's head high above the rest. 

"Thrain, Thorin's father, was driven mad by grief. He went missing, taken prisoner, or killed, we did not know. We were leaderless. Defeat and death were upon us. That is when I saw him. A young Dwarf Prince facing down the Pale Orc with nothing but an oak branch as a shield. With one swing of his sword, our enemy was defeated."  

I look back at the girl who is staring at me, but the moment I look at her she turns away. The story Balin is telling I didn't have to hear. I had lived through it and still relive it when I close my eyes. The story I want to hear is hers. The girl who seemed to be from another life. Another time. Another world.

---

That night as the others sleep on I awake to see the girl sitting up staring into the fire. Fili and Kili are drooling on the rocks and Bombur is snoring sucking in moths before spitting them out. Watching her she pokes at the fire to keep it burning. Sighing and rubbing her tired eyes and groans in frustration. Silently I stand and walk towards her and the fire. She doesn't notice my presence until I'm right next to her.

"I didn't wake you up did I?" she asks shyly. 

I shake my head sitting beside her "The journey is long you, should rest." 

"I wish I could... but I don't sleep well outside. Camping was never really my thing." 

I raise a brow looking at her and she catches my gaze "What is it?" 

"The way you speak, it's strange to me." 

She giggles slightly "Yeah, I'm not from around here."

I'm silent for a moment but then lean in a little closer "So, where do you come from?" 

She averts her eyes "Oh, um....the Shire." 

"There is no need to lie. The last thing I need is a lying human." 

She seems caught off guard and fretfully shakes her head "You won't believe me." 

Completely facing her I lean in narrowing my eyes "Try me."

Nodding I see her cheeks begin to turn red "Okay, I-...... I actually don't know how I got here. This place, this world is not my own. This is one filled with Hobbits, adventures, Orcs, and magic. My world has none of these. One night I'm reading my book, I fell asleep, and when I awoke things had changed and.....I can't remember much but there was this door. When I went through it I found myself in the Shire. Not long after that, I met you."

 I listen intently as she continues her story.  

"My thinking was that this was all a dream. One crazy messed-up dream. Then I met you and Gandalf and everyone else and now I- I'm not so sure of anything. All I know is that I want to help you reclaim your home and possibly even get back to mine." 

My eyes look down as I contemplate her words "That is quite a tale." 

"I'm not lying. I swear, but I understand if you don't believe me." 

I look to the fire and speak softly "In this world, the world we live in, Mid-Earth. It is filled with many fantastic beings." 

We both watch the fire as a deer from the mythical forest forms from the flames and prances around before disappearing. She gasps and glances at me but I continue on "Many creatures here may be from your world, but there are others that are not." 

The fire then forms dancing and marching Centaurs, Satyr's, and large bears "You are not from this part of the world, but it does not mean you aren't still a part of it." 

Her eyes shone from the glow of the fire as she watches intently. As the apparitions disappear Molly blinks away the fire from her eyes. 

"Here. These will keep you warm." I say as she takes the clothes and shoes I give her "Thank you." 

I nodded giving her a soft smile. Both of us sit there watching the fire slowly begins to die out.  I look over to see her nodding off to sleep. Gently I take hold of her and lay here on the ground. Getting my blanket I cover her up and nestle down beside her. Laying in my place I looked up at the stars wondering about who she is and how she came to be here. While magic is something I do not obtain it is something; however, I didn't doubt exists in this world or the next. 

---

Waking up I see the sun coming up over the horizon. Stretching the ache from my back I sit up looking at Molly who still lies next to me. As she sleeps soundly I lean in closer to her watching her body rise and fall. Carefully I tuck a loose strand of her hair from her face. The sun shining on her face makes it glow in the yellow light. For a moment I feel something stir from inside of me and all I can do is retreat from my place beside her.

---

The next day as we continued on our way the rain poured and mud squashed under our horse's hooves. Dori groans "Here, Mr. Gandalf, can't you do something about this deluge?"    

"It is raining, Master Dwarf, and it will continue to rain until the rain is done. If you wish to change the weather of the world, you should find yourself another wizard." 

"Are there any?" Bilbo asks "Other wizards?" 

Gandalf nods "There are five of us. The greatest of our order is Saruman, the White. Then there are the two Blue Wizards; you know, I've quite forgotten their names." 

Molly piped up "And who is the fifth?"

"Well, that would be Radagast, the Brown." 

Bilbo chimes back in "Is he a great Wizard or is he...more like you?"

I roll my eyes at the rudeness of this Hobbit. Not only did he not belong but neither did his manners. 

"I think he's a very great wizard, in his own way." Gandalf torts back "He's a gentle soul who prefers the company of animals to others. He keeps a watchful eye over the vast forest lands to the East, and a good thing too, for always Evil will look to find a foothold in this world." 

We all arrived at an old abandoned farmhouse. Many of its pieces are broken and in ruins. I hop off my horse "We'll camp here for the night. Fili, Kili, look after the ponies. Make sure you stay with them. Oin, Gloin, get a fire going."  

"Aye." they all say with a nod. 

Gandalf stands under the broken house with Molly "A farmer and his family once lived here." Molly furrows her eyebrows "I don't like the way you say that." 

As I walk in front of them Gandalf shifts his stick "I think it would be wiser to move on. We could make for the Hidden Valley."

I feel my anger rise and shake my head "I have told you already, I will not go near that place." Gandalf shrugs "Why not? The elves could help us. We could get food, rest, advice." 

"I do not need their advice."

Gandalf groans "We have a map that we cannot read. Lord Elrond could help us."

I snap my head to him "Help? A dragon attacks Erebor, what help came from the Elves? Orcs plunder Moria, desecrate our sacred halls, the Elves looked on and did nothing. You ask me to seek out the very people who betrayed my grandfather and betrayed my father."                          

The wizard leans closer "You are neither of them. I did not give you that map and key for you to hold on to the past." 

"I did not know that they were yours to keep." 

Gandalf turns away. Molly watches him leave and she looks at me with the hint of a slight scowl and shakes of her head. 

"Gandalf." 

I watch as she follows after him as he passes through the company. 

Bilbo looks up "Everything alright? Gandalf, where are you going?"

The wizard continues on "To seek the company of the only one around here who's got any sense."

Bilbo raises a brow "Who's that?" 

Turning the wizard shouts "Myself, Mr. Baggins! I've had enough of dwarves for one day." 

I look to the others and grumble "Come on, Bombur, we're hungry."  

As night looms closer and closer in my mind I highly doubt Gandalf will return to us. Or at least not any time soon.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

73K 1.8K 52
Talia Rue Ashenstone had known Thorin Oakenshield all of her life. From running around the halls of Erebor in their youth to running into battle, the...
29.7K 923 10
In the next part of our story, the company of Thorin Oakenshield rush across Middle-Earth in order to get to the Lonely Mountain by Durin's Day. (Y/n...
24.3K 652 52
"Someday you will return home too." Reluctantly, she opened one of the heavy wooden chests. The lid creaked loudly as it flipped back. A dusty cloak...
2.5K 87 34
In the dark forest of Mirkwood, shadows are growing, again and again. The leaves are becoming black, as the roots, and as the trees. Birds are not si...