Charred Promises

By nishidha

On their tenth year anniversary Caitlynn Cambell was determined to bring the old spark back into their obsole... More

1 : For Old Times Sake..
2 : The Life He Left Behind..
3 : Never.Giving.Up!
4 : See If I care!
5 : Be The Driver..
7 : Breakfast At McD's
8 : Better To Start Early..
9 : Someone else's life.. Someone else's story..
10 : Unsaid But Not Unfelt..
11: Something's better than nothing.. Always..
12- String of Words..
13 - This is enough.. You are enough..
14- Hope is all we have..
15: Support System..
16 : Mattie's Secret..
17: Night Talks..
18: Cant Let go..
19: Observations.. Imaginations..
20: Us?

6 : Too Raw.. Too Much.. Too Soon..

209 12 0
By nishidha

More than twenty minutes had passed when Dr. Shaw had confirmed Juno her worst fear had become a reality. She was numb, too shocked to move, too deranged to understand what was she supposed to do now? She looked around and all the familiar faces looked at her with sympathy, some of them tried to hug her and console her but not a single tear came. She wanted to scream and yell and cry. The light of her life was charred. All her dreams perished. She couldn't breathe, she wanted to get out of the house, but everywhere she looked there were more people pouring in, drowning her with concern and condolences.

But the fact also remained that her mother died of a broken heart. She had died because Noah left, Juno had started blaming Noah for every wrong in their life and everything went down in from that moment on. Beatrice started getting a panic attack and started to palpitate and then she fainted. Juno had called 911 and help arrived but before they came her mother was unresponsive. They tried to retrieve her, but nothing happened. She had been long gone, Dr. Charley Shaw had come along with the ambulance and he had called time of death. Everything had gone numb for Juno from then on. She saw people pouring in and asking her what had happened but she couldn't get the words out of her mouth, could she really blame Noah for what had happened for she felt she was equally responsible for what happened

At that moment the door opened and Noah stood scrutinizing through the faces till he found the one he was looking for.

"Juno!" Noah's voice had brought her back to reality. He was really standing in their house calling her name. and that was all that mattered at that moment. She ran and hugged him.

Juno didn't want to think about all the wrong things that had been said to Noah during the past week. He had left and Juno swore that she wouldn't stop him nor call him back and she hadn't, the fact that Noah came on his own and that was not something she was about to take for granted. In the midst of all the people who loved and adored her mother, she wanted to be someone who shared the same bloodline as her.

If Juno was glad to see Noah at any point of her life, this was the moment, he walked towards her and she ran towards him and he carried her into a hug. At that moment Juno broke into a million pieces. Not a single word was said but their affection to one another spoke volume.

Whispers and hushed talks prevailed as they hugged. No one recognized Noah except Dr. Shaw. Noah could feel people's hawk stares boring into him, but at that moment he knew exactly how she felt and she felt safe in his arms.

"I don't know what am I supposed to do, I have to prepare for the funeral, I need your help Noah." Juno said wiping her tears and sniffing. She looked at Noah and he opened his mouth to say something but he couldn't form them into eligible sentence so he nodded his head, wiping his own tears. An elderly woman came to Juno and placed a hand on her shoulder.

"Honey, lets get you inside, you haven't eaten anything from morning." the woman said. Juno looked at Noah and he nodded.

"I don't think I have seen you before, I'm the next door neighbour Elda Fletcher." the woman said to Noah.

"He's Noah, my legal guardian. He will be around for some time." Juno answered before Noah spoke. Noah hid his shock, he had not figured out why he chose to come back to them, how long was he going to stay, he had not expected to come back to this, seeing his sister's lifeless body and almost lifeless niece was not something he had anticipated when he cancelled his trip and stayed back.

Nevertheless Noah Summer was not going to run away again. He was going to stand by his little niece whether she wanted him or not, at this point more than anything Noah wanted to be with Juno for the sake of his sanity. His heart ached when Juno had not said that he was her uncle rather than her legal guardian, and to know that Juno thought that he was going to leave her and go was not making this easier. All this was too much.. Too soon!

"Its nice to meet you Noah." Mrs. Fletcher said.

"Likewise ma'am." Noah said. Juno and Mrs Fletcher went towards the kitchen leaving him alone.

"I'm sorry for your lose." Dr. Shaw keeping his voice neutral. Noah turned to see him and nodded. "I'm glad her last days were filled with happiness and I want you to know its not your fault. But I'm really happy that you will be around taking care of things." Dr. Shaw said.

"Yeah. Came as a news to me too." Noah admitted nervously. Dr. Shaw looked confused but then he didn't want to press on the matter at that moment. He had other pressing matter at hand that needed to be sorted first.

"I wanted to talk about the funeral, she had already paid for the services, I guess she wasn't sure if you would be around when it happens. She often spoke about you but she always dodged the question when I would ask her why you never came to visit. I understand this is not the place or time to discuss all this, but I had to inform you all the services for the funeral has been taken care of, all you have to do is show up at the cemetery." Dr. Shaw said and Noah nodded noticing the accusation in his voice. Noah couldn't care less for the doctor's attitude, he didn't know him and he wasn't going to explain himself to him. Noah walked towards his sister's room, Beatrice was lying as though she was sleeping. He would never be able to see her beautiful smile, no one was ever going to call him Cookie, no one was going to bridge the relationship between him and Juno. He sat beside her and planted a kiss on her forehead. She still had the warmth that calmed Noah. He sat there thinking about the few good memories they shared, thanks to his mother, she had always been better mother to Beatrice than she ever was to Noah and nor his heart or mind was big enough not to hold grudge. But as he grew older he realised Beatrice was nothing like their mother, she would reach out to him, no matter how hard he pushed her away. And now he was grateful that she never gave up on him, he could only hope that he could live up to what she had expected him to do with Juno.

His train of thoughts were interrupted when Dr. Shaw came in to the room and said "Noah, its time." Noah placed the hand he had been holding all the while, back on the bed. He got up and made room for people to do the needful, he felt like he was being stabbed as he watched as they lifted her body and placed it in coffin. Juno stood at the door, she hugged Mrs. Fletcher with tears falling. Noah realised that he too like everyone else had a heart and that was breaking beyond words could explain, seeing Beatrice for the last time and seeing Juno's tears. Every passing seconds he hopped that a miracle would happen and Beatrice would wake up and tell him that all this was a prank to get him come back to this house, but that moment was as real as it would ever get.

**************

Caitlynn didn't want to wake up, no matter how strong she tried to be on the outside, she was shattered when no one was around, waking up and realising the fact that all that was happening wasn't a nightmare, that Gregory was dead and she survived, she knew at that moment she thought she was going to die and that he had survived the jump. Waking up was a drag, despite the fact that she had spend majority of her married life waking up alone, no one to pull her back for a quickie, no one to share her morning kiss and cuddle. Now the right side of the bed was not going to be used by anyone. Now no one to share her morning coffee with. Now there would be no one to fall back on..

She couldn't even see Gregory for one last time, she couldn't say her final goodbye, she fought with him in his last days and even though she knew that they both could have come to a compromise with the kids and they could avoid the whole divorce episode and they could go back to being one of those couple who stayed together for the sake of the kids, God knew she was doing it the whole while even after she knew he had another woman in his life. What broke her heart was that if he had stayed with them, he would have also survived like them, she would be able to help him heal and stand by him for everything he needed, but now he was gone all because he chose to leave.

"I'm not here to for an explanation Caity, don't look so guilty." Eric said as Caitlynn opened the door and found it was Eric, she had embarrassment all over her face.

"Dad, I know you would understand that, this is difficult for me too, I have once lost my parents and I don't want to lose the both of you too. But I also want to find myself, I have been hurt and ignored and now its time to redeem myself. I don't want my kids to look up to someone else for something they need." She said trying not to sound sad and hurt.

"I understand that part Caity, I do. But I wish you would tell me what really happened between you and Greg. It was your anniversary and the whole surprise trip with the two of you, turned out as a trip with kids, you guys didn't inform us anything, just took off and then we get a call from a hospital saying that you guys were in an accident and they couldn't find Greg or his body anywhere." Caitlynn said getting up from the stool and walking over to the kitchen sink with the mugs they had been drinking coffee in.

"Dad, I don't remember much, I slept off while Greg drove." Caitlynn started with the white lies again.

"Are you pregnant Caity?" Eric asked out of the blue.

"No! why would you think I'd hide something like that if I were pregnant?"

"Are you sure 'cause otherwise you never sleep when Greg drove. I have known you long enough to know this about you Caity. What are you not telling us?" Eric pressed on the matter again, following her toward the sitting area.

"I don't remember much dad."

"You know two and two are not adding up." he said looking at her with concern.

"Dad, I don't know what else to say other than that I really don't remember."

"You know that I'm always here, if you want to talk about something right?" he said with a smile and Caitlynn smiled back.

"I know dad."

"I do have a favour to ask you dad." she said turning to face him.

"You know I'd do anything for you."

"Can you both drive me to the airport? I cant.. After the.. incident.. I mean.. I could but I'm not sure I can.." Caitlynn said stammering and feeling uneasy. She knew she couldn't start driving just yet. The pain was too raw and all this was too soon. No matter how much she tried not to let the accident ruin the love she had for driving, she couldn't let go of what she had felt that day while taking control of the car after Gregory jumped. The memory was still raw, as how she held the wheel, how the kids were scared, how she could see they were about to ramp the car into a tree. She closed her eyes and shook her head.

"Caity bear, I'm not sure if Heather would come but I can drive you to the airport." he said looking uneasy. He knew Heather would never come to see them off, she would be very upset.

"Thanks dad, this means a lot to me." Caitlynn said with a smile.

"I just want you to be happy honey." He said. Caitlynn hugged him.

"I know daddy. I love you." Caitlynn said cherishing the moment.

"And I love you Caity bear." Eric said placing a kiss on top of her head.

******************

After the funeral some people who knew Juno and Beatrice closely came to their house to pay their respect. Most of them got semi done food that would last for almost a week. Noah noticed Mrs. Fletcher helped them with storing the food and freeze the ones that needed to be preserved. It was almost evening by the time all of them left their house. After they left Noah went looking for Juno, he found her sitting on the steps looking outside, Noah sat next to Juno and they sat in silence for a while.

"What are we going to do?" Noah asked. Juno sniffed but didn't say anything. "I don't have the faintest idea as to what am I supposed to do.. But we are in this together, okay?" Noah said giving her a little nudge.

"You are not putting me under foster care?" Juno asked in almost a whisper. Noah's heart clenched at the sound of her voice, it wasn't all rude and confident, instead she sounded like a twelve year old child who was petrified of her uncertain future.

"We cant risk the foster care system by putting you in it. Your stare itself is enough to destroy them." Noah humoured to lighten the mood.

"Let me make one thing very clear, Noah. I don't trust you. You left mum once, you came back years later. You left mum again when you knew she.. needed you the most.. You have not given me one situation where I can trust you Noah and you cant blame me." Juno said hugging herself with her sweater.

"Is that hers?" Noah asked about the sweater, it looked too big for her.

"Its mum's, she loved this thing so much she wore it all the time." Juno said not willing to admit that she missed her or that she just wanted to feel like she was being hugged by her mother, but things like these didn't need to be said, Noah knew exactly how she felt.

"I'm not going anywhere Juno. You are all I have and like it or not but I'm all you have. It would be easier on both of us if you tell me what am I supposed to do and how am I supposed to handle the situation. And I be able to do my best not to disappoint you." Noah said looking at her but Juno but she kept her gaze fixed on the flowers in the garden and her face numb of any emotion.

"If I tell you what needs to be done, then who is the adult in this house?" Juno asked with a smirk.

"Oh hands down you are! You're the boss, I'm just the person you can point to when someone comes looking for an adult. Do we have a deal June bug?" Noah asked with a little nudge.

"That's what mum used to call me." Juno said playing with her fingers.

"I know, whenever she spoke about you, that what she calls you and I like it, so I hope you don't mind me calling you June bug." Noah said Juno just rolled her eyes and got up and went inside the house. Noah rubbed his hands together tried to warm his cold hands, mist was settling in, kids were getting in after their bike ride, mothers were making dinner, the birds were returning to their nest.. The sun was about to set and everything and everyone were getting ready for the day to end and for Noah.. Well Noah's life was just about to begin..

Thank you for reading, voting and commenting.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

My Triplets By Jo

General Fiction

106K 2.7K 45
Once upon a time I found the love of my life. I loved her with all of my heart, but there was always this fear that she would leave me. One day I fou...
119K 5.4K 35
growing up and growing apart sometimes people who really love you have to leave you for your own good and it's okay to grow apart holding on to thi...
435K 15.3K 25
Blossom and Bloom Graceful and Tender - She couldn't believe her ears, or her eyes. Her husband, the man she loves, the father of her unborn baby, wa...
441K 24.3K 26
Tiffany is 26, she left L.A. during her husbands work party after secretly signing annulment papers with her attorney earlier in the day, instructing...