The Miner's Girl

By Angelnico1e

Parker Schnabel. Nicole Forrest. What happens when you move back to where you came from after seven years? Wh... More

Introduction
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Our Cabin Photos
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106

Chapter 61

186 4 0
By Angelnico1e

(((April 2, 2015)))
Nicole's POV
I would be lying if I said that it's gotten easier since Grandpa died. In some ways, it's gotten a little bit better. We don't cry as much, but I'll find myself thinking about Grandpa, or see a picture of him, and tears will come to my eyes. Parker is about the same as he's been, but he tries not to think about it a lot.

We came back home about two weeks ago, and Grandma came with us. She's staying with Mom and Dad. Grandma is still the same as she was, most of the time very distant, but we try to cheer her up. But, honestly, I can't blame her. I've only been with Parker for a little while, but I have no idea what I would do without him. I can't imagine what it's like losing your best friend and husband of sixty five years.

The funeral is today, and it's been two weeks since Grandpa died. Arrangements had to be made, people had to be called. A lot of people from out of state are coming to bid Grandpa goodbye. The funeral is being held today at Harriet Hall, with music, food, and people giving eulogies about Grandpa John. A few cameramen are going to be there, filming something to add to the show. We're having the kind of funeral that Grandpa would want to have, a celebration of his life.

Parker told me last night that he wasn't particularly looking forward to today. He knew that he would be crying like a baby, probably. Nevertheless, he knows he needs to go. I told him that I'm going to be there for him, and that made him feel a little bit better. Parker wrote a little eulogy for Grandpa John, and honestly, I cried like a baby when I read it. You can't fake the kind of bond that Parker and his grandpa had, and I loved seeing the relationship that they had.

I had brought my dress to Mom last night so she could get the wrinkles out of it while she did Parker and Payson's outfits. Parker and I slept in his room last night; we just didn't see the point in going back to my house when we would just have to come back here first thing this morning. We're going to the graveyard at Jones Point before the service at Harriet Hall, and a few people are going to be at the house with us getting ready to go.

Parker and I woke up to Mom shaking our shoulders and telling us that it was time to get up and start getting ready. It was only 8:00, but people would probably start getting to the house soon. Mom woke us up one time, but we fell back asleep. Mom woke us up a second time when she brought us our clothes that had been washed and ironed. That time, she stayed in there until we got up off the bed.

I went to the bathroom, and Parker sat in the bed. I came back, and he went out of the room, going to the bathroom to take a shower. I had gotten a shower last night, so I just started getting ready. I was brushing my hair when Parker came back in the room with a towel wrapped around his waist. He shut and locked the door behind him before he started getting ready.

"Are any people here yet?" I asked him.

He smirked. "I don't know. I just ran from the bathroom here. I wasn't paying attention."

"Your phone beeped a few minutes ago." I said as I put in my earrings.

"Of course it did." He said.

I finished my makeup while Parker put on his clothes. I brushed his hair while he checked the messages on his phone.

"Rick's going to be here in about two hours. He just got to Juneau. Chris is going on the same ferry." Parker told me.

"Good." I said.

"Ed said that he would be here in about ten minutes with the camera crew and stuff." Parker said.

"The producer, right?" I asked.

"Yeah. He'll love you." Parker said. "Everyone is going to love you, actually."

"I hate that this is the way I'm meeting everyone." I said.

"Yeah, but it'll be alright. You know a lot of them, anyway." He said.

"Christo coming?"

"Nah, he can't. He said he wishes he could."

"You gonna be okay today?" I asked him as I fixed his hair.

"Are you?" He smirked as he turned his head to glance at me.

"Probably not." I admitted.

"Me either, babe." Parker said.

***

"Hey, Parker!" An older man with graying hair and glasses on his face said as he came into the house.

"Hey, Ed." Parker said as he stood up from where he was sitting on the couch beside me.

Ed gave Parker a hug, and asked him how he was doing, and said he was sorry about Grandpa. They had a conversation for a few minutes, and Mom and Dad greeted him. Two cameramen came in, and Parker got into a conversation with them. Ed sat down beside me on the couch while Parker was standing in the kitchen talking to the cameramen, who were his good friends.

"And who are you?" Ed smiled at me. "I don't believe I've had the pleasure of meeting you before."

I smiled as I held out my hand. "I'm Nicole. Parker's girlfriend."

"Ed Gorsuch." Ed grinned as he shook my hand. "I'm the producer for Parker's show."

"I know." I smiled. "He tells me all about y'all."

"Parker told me about you. I'm really glad to meet you."

"Glad to meet you, too." I smiled.

"How did you and Parker get together, again?" Ed asked me.

"Well, we have been friends since we were little. Then I moved away, and I just came back up here about three or four months ago. I guess Parker and I just clicked again, and we've been together ever since." I smiled as I glanced over to Parker, who was smirking at something one of his friends had said.

"Oh, yes, I remember him telling me that now." Ed said.

"Yeah, I'm glad that I'm with him now. I know that he needs someone to be with, especially now that his grandpa died. It's really been hard for him; well, for all of us, actually." I explained.

"You've gotten close to his family?" Ed asked me.

"Oh, yes." I nodded. "They're like my own family."

I felt a touch on my shoulders and turned around to see Mom smiling, and she said, "Yes, she's a part of our family. My daughter. Sweet little thing, isn't she, Ed?"

"Sure is." Ed agreed. "Are you going to be up at the mine any this summer, Nicole?"

I smiled. "As a matter of fact, I am. My boyfriend was so nice and gave me a job this summer."

"Hey! You wanted to do it!" Parker said from the kitchen.

I laughed. "Okay, I did."

"Well, you're going to be a very welcome addition, I assure you." Ed smiled.

"I hope so." I said.

"Ed! Come meet my new girlfriend!" Payson said from the dining room.

"Seems like both the Schnabel boys had a very good winter." Ed smiled as he stood up. "I'll talk to you later, Nicole. It was nice meeting you."

"The pleasure is all mine." I smiled, and when Ed was gone, I turned around and said to Mom, "He's a nice man."

***

Around 2:00, everyone started getting ready to go to the graveyard. We all packed into different trucks, and made our way over to Jones Point. When we got to the graveyard, the cameramen started rolling. Parker talked to them for a few minutes before he held my hand and we walked into the graveyard. I was really emotional, and Parker was too. As a matter of fact, everyone was.

It was a great tribute. They said a few words, and buried Grandpa. They played "Taps" as they did so. I was about to cry, and I looked up at Parker and saw that he was already crying. I laid my head on his chest and hugged him. Dad said a few words, and it was all a very sad time for everyone.

After the graveyard service was over, Dad came and hugged his two sons. Parker was talking to the cameraman about it, and Payson went and paid his respects to Grandpa. Hannah went up behind him and hugged him, causing him to turn around and hug her more while he cried. I was talking to Mom, and everyone else was doing their own thing.

We stayed in the graveyard for a while, just talking. I know that I wasn't ready to go to the service at the hall. I had already cried enough, and Parker had too. I think that was what everyone was kind of feeling when we all just loitered around the graveyard.

Rick had bought two bottles of bourbon, and he and Parker drank them. Well, they poured one bottle out for Grandpa John and shared the other one.

Eventually, we all made our way to Harriet Hall, where a bunch of other people were. The graveyard service was more for the closer family and friends. At the hall, a band was playing bluegrass music, food was there, and a few people were out on the floor dancing to the music.

"Grandpa would've liked this." Parker said as we stood there looking around.

"Yeah, he would've." I smiled up at him. "Come on, let's go find a table."

***

A lot of people gave eulogies about Grandpa, or John to most of them. Some were long, some were just a little story about something they remember about John. Parker went up and said his, and I thought it was the best. Of course, I might be a little bit biased. A local author that knew John did a very good job with her eulogy. After everyone had said their piece, everyone just did their own thing, talking and whatnot. Parker had regained his composure, while I was still wiping my eyes and looking in my compact mirror, trying to make sure that I didn't look like a train wreck.

Music started playing again, and it cheered people up. It was like a big party. "A celebration of his life" Parker had said. I really thought it was the best way to pay tribute to such an amazing man. Mom and Dad danced to the music, along with a lot of others. Parker surprised me when he asked me if I wanted to dance. I wasn't expecting him to feel like dancing, but he said that sitting there in a chair wasn't helping anything. I smiled as we went onto the floor and started dancing to the bluegrass music. It made me happy to see Parker laughing with me.

A little while after we started dancing, a slow song started playing. Parker smiled as he pulled me close to him and wrapped his arms around my waist. I wrapped my arms around his neck and looked down as I smiled. We danced to the song together and he whispered into my ear, "Thanks for putting up with me these past two weeks. I know I've probably not been the easiest person to get along with."

I looked up at him and smiled, "I'm with you no matter what. I love you, Parkie."

"I love you too." He smiled as he leaned in for a kiss.

***

Happy Easter everyone! Thanks to everyone who has read this story and voted on it!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

469K 31.7K 47
♮Idol au ♮"I don't think I can do it." "Of course you can, I believe in you. Don't worry, okay? I'll be right here backstage fo...
195K 19.1K 24
"𝙏𝙤𝙪𝙘𝙝 𝙮𝙤𝙪𝙧𝙨𝙚𝙡𝙛, 𝙜𝙞𝙧𝙡. 𝙄 𝙬𝙖𝙣𝙣𝙖 𝙨𝙚𝙚 𝙞𝙩" Mr Jeon's word lingered on my skin and ignited me. The feeling that comes when yo...
668K 33.7K 61
A Story of a cute naughty prince who called himself Mr Taetae got Married to a Handsome yet Cold King Jeon Jungkook. The Union of Two totally differe...
184K 5K 42
" She is my wife, stay away from her!" " Keep trying she will remain mine. " " Show me your scars, I want to see how many times you needed...