I Found You, Something Told M...

By jasss149

It was one of those heart-stopping moments where I didn't know what to do. Down to only one photograph, my li... More

Chapter One.
Chapter Three.
Chapter Four.
Chapter Five.
Chapter Six.
Chapter Seven.
Chapter Eight.
Chapter Nine.
Chapter Ten.
Chapter Eleven.
Chapter Twelve.
Chapter Thirteen.
Chapter Fourteen.
Chapter Fifteen.
Chapter Sixteen.
Chapter Seventeen.
Chapter Eighteen.
Chapter Nineteen.
Chapter Twenty.
Chapter Twenty-One.
Chapter Twenty-Two.
Chapter Twenty-Three.
Chapter Twenty-Four.
Chapter Twenty-Five.
Chapter Twenty-Six.
Chapter Twenty-Seven.
Chapter Twenty-Eight.
Chapter Twenty-Nine.
Chapter Thirty.
Chapter Thirty-One.
Chapter Thirty-Two.
Chapter Thirty-Three.
Chapter Thirty-Four.
Chapter Thirty-Five.
Chapter Thirty-Six.
Chapter Thirty-Seven.
Chapter Thirty-Eight.
Chapter Thirty-Nine.
Chapter Forty.
Chapter Forty-One.
Chapter Forty-Two.
Chapter Forty-Three.
Chapter Forty-Four.
Chapter Forty-Five.
Chapter Forty-Six.
Chapter Forty-Seven.
Chapter Forty-Eight.
Chapter Forty-Nine.
Chapter Fifty.
Chapter Fifty-One.
Chapter Fifty-Two.
Chapter Fifty-Three.
Chapter Fifty-Four.
Chapter Fifty-Five.
Chapter Fifty-Six.
Chapter Fifty-Seven.
Chapter Fifty-Eight.
Chapter Fifty-Nine.
Chapter Sixty.
Chapter Sixty-One.
Chapter Sixty-Two.
Chapter Sixty-Three.
Chapter Sixty-Four.
Chapter Sixty-Five.
Chapter Sixty-Six.
Chapter Sixty-Seven.
Chapter Sixty-Eight.
Chapter Sixty-Nine.
Chapter Seventy.
Chapter Seventy-One.
Chapter Seventy-Two.
Chapter Seventy-Three.
Chapter Seventy-Four.
Chapter Seventy-Five.

Chapter Two.

2K 51 6
By jasss149

Here's the second chapter! Please vote and comment, tell me what you think! :)

**

They seemed like two such simple words, yet they didn’t make any sense inside my head.

I read them over and over, narrowing my eyes and trying to see if I’d misread it at all. I didn’t understand the reason behind somebody writing that, whoever had. He wasn’t my father. My father was stood in the kitchen inside this house, having a drink.

I didn’t have the slightest clue who Jason was. But I knew I’d seen him before somewhere

It was just as my eyes were scanning the two words again, that the door flew open and a very proud-looking Max stood there, his hands on his hips and a grin on his face.

“I found you!” He announced, pointing a finger towards me.

I blinked at him, still too wrapped in my thoughts to work out what was going on. It took me a moment or so to remember why I was actually sat in the cupboard under the stairs in the first place. I’d been playing Hide and Seek with him.

“I found you, I found you!” He repeated even more excitedly.

I looked from Max to the photo in my hands, trying to work out what to do. I certainly wasn’t going to let the situation rest; I was determined to find out who exactly Jason was, but my head was in so much of a muddle that I honestly couldn’t think straight.

By now, Max had started whining again, demanding another game because this one had apparently been too easy. His voice, however, was a muffle in the background as I flipped the photo over and stared at Jason’s face once more. I was stretching my mind, trying so hard to remember. Was I just being stupid? Did I actually know him?

I did. I knew I did from somewhere.

Not allowing myself to think about it anymore, I picked up the other two sets of photos and clutched them tightly in my hand as I shot up to my feet, pushing past Max and running out of the cupboard. The sound of chatter was coming from the garden, and I quickened my pace, practically throwing myself out of the patio doors and marching up to my mother, who was stood at the barbecue. She didn’t even notice me approach her, as she had a conversation with Julie from next door.

“Mum?” I spat out angrily, trying to get her to look at me.

“Just a second; I’m talking to Julie.” She replied, not even sparing me a glance. “Yeah, I suppose you’re right, Jules,” She carried on her conversation, “I thought that when Midge started college, but—‘’

“Not in a second. Now.” I interrupted her through clenched teeth, making everyone look at me.

“What is it?” She looked at me with an annoyed expression. “You’re being rude.”

“Who the fuck is Jason?” I demanded.

“Watch your language!”

“Answer me!” I yelled. “Who is he?”

“Who’s who, Midge?” She rolled her eyes. She’d obviously paid too much attention to my swearing to have heard me say his name the first time.

“Jason!” I snapped. “Who is he?”

She stared at me for a second, uncomfortably shifting, before she eventually spoke.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

I couldn’t believe that she was actually lying to me. She wasn’t even putting any effort into making it believable.

“Yeah?” I raised eyebrows, taking a step towards her. “So you’re telling me you’ve never seen this before, then?”

Her gaze fell as I held the photo out in front of her, my hand literally shaking with anticipation. She seemed to take ages looking at it, but I could see hundreds of things unravelling in her mind. Everyone watched as she just stood, staring at the photograph. The food on the barbecue was starting to burn behind her, but she appeared to be in a trance of some sort.

“Where did you get that?” She eventually asked, her stare flickering up to meet mine.

“Cupboard under the stairs.” I shakily replied. “Who is he, mum?”

“Maybe we should go.” Julie suddenly announced, standing up. “You clearly have things to talk about.”

Still in shock, my mum continued to look me in the eyes for a moment, until then looked at Julie. Her expression immediately changed, and I could tell she was trying to act like I’d not even confronted her with the photo.

“Oh, don’t go!” She said. “We have nothing to talk about! It’s just a photograph.”

Julie shifted awkwardly, looking between my mum and I before she frowned slightly.

“I don’t know, Carly.” She said uncomfortably.  “You two look like you need some time to talk. We honestly don’t mind. We have the whole of summer to have a barbecue together!”

By now, my mum wasn’t even listening to her. I could still see, by the look in her eyes, that her brain was thinking tons of things at once. She was trying to jump into action to sort things out, muttering to herself while doing so.

“Oh, look, I’ve burnt the food.” She sighed, looking at the barbecue and running things through her hair. “Honestly, I’m such a dozy cow sometimes.”

“Mum—‘’

“Not to worry.” She interrupted me, still talking to herself more than anyone else. She turned to us all then, plastering a smile on her face. “Hey, why don’t we get takeout? Or how about we go out to dinner! That would be fun, wouldn’t it?”

“You’re not up to going out to dinner, Carly.” My dad eventually spoke. He turned to Julie with an apologetic yet embarrassed expression. “Sorry about this. If you want to go, we don’t mind.”

Julie just smiled at him and nodded quickly, standing up and beckoning her family to follow her. Within moments, they were gone, and were stood in the garden in silence.

“This is just a waste now.” She frantically said, turning back to the food on the barbecue. “Still, I might be able to fix it. Rob, do we have some more burgers in the freezer?”

“Just stop fussing over the food, Carly.” Dad snapped surprisingly harshly. “We can’t let this situation lie forever, you know. It’s been long enough.”

I realised, just then, that I’d totally neglected my thoughts and just stood back, watching my mother go into one of her hypomanic frenzies. She was still trying to ignore everything and pick up the barbecue food by hand, wincing when it burnt her fingers.

“Answer me, mum.” I spoke again, returning to the before subject. “Who’s Jason?”

Of course, she didn’t answer. She continued to moved around frantically, now beginning to fold up the lawn chairs and sort the plates back into a pile; anything to escape the topic.

“Dad?” I said, turning to look at him when mum hadn’t answered.

Although he didn’t look at me, I could tell he was listening. He watched my mother with his arms crossed over his chest, almost like he’d expected all of this to happen.

“Tell her, Carly.” He said

Ignoring my dad, she picked up the lawn chairs and tried to drag them across the garden and towards the shed, dropping them at her feet when she realised she couldn’t take the weight.

“Carly!” Dad yelled.

There was a pause for a moment as mum shuffled, staring down at the lawn chairs. She played with her hands, wrapped in her thoughts as we stared at her. Suddenly, she snapped her head up to look at us.

“Jason?” She finally said, earning a stern nod from me. “Oh, he was just a family friend. Haven’t seen him in years, don’t know where he got to; I think he’s probably still back in California.”

As soon as she finished the sentence, she frantically pushed between dad and I and made her way inside, not saying anything else to me. Dad scowled and shook his head in disbelief, also stepping inside and beckoning me to follow.

“Tell her the truth, Carly.” He shouted, walking into the kitchen where she was pouring herself a glass of wine. “She deserves to know! We knew this situation would arise some time and we’re not going to avoid it; not anymore!”

She stared down at her wine, her eyes a great indication that she was trying so hard not to listen, but failing at that. Dad soon realised that she was set on not saying anything, and scowled, grabbing his jacket from the back of a dining room chair.

“I’m not prepared to stand here and watch you lie.” He spat at her, pulling his jacket onto his body. “I’m going out.”

With that, he turned and stalked out the kitchen. Mum jumped slightly when the front door opened and slammed shut, but she looked up and plastered a smile onto her face.

“Right, Midgey,” She said, placing her glass of wine down and turning towards the oven, “What do you want to eat?”

Of course, I just stared at her incredulously, not really believing my ears.

“I don’t give a fuck about food!” I yelled. “Tell me the truth, mum! Because here, in my hand, is a picture of me as a baby, being held by some guy called Jason, and dad’s nowhere to be seen in any of these photos!”

 “As I said,” She shifted, “Family friend. I lost contact with him when I left Huntington with you.”

Bullshit!” I angrily reached out, knocking the first thing over that I could. It happened to be the glass of wine that was placed on the kitchen counter, and it fell to the floor, splashing all over the vinyl flooring as the glass broke into tiny pieces.

She stared down at it in shock, not really knowing what to do or say. I think it was then that she realised just how angry I was, and I could tell she was trying to keep calm herself.

“I’m going to ask you one more time.” I quietly said, my teeth clenched. “And you’re going to tell me the truth. Who is Jason?”

Still staring at me with widened eyes, she opened her mouth to speak, but the only thing that came out was a shaky breath. Before I knew it, she let out a small whimper and sunk to her knees, just about managing to dodge the mess on the floor as she buried her head in her hands.

“I don’t want you to hate me, Midge.” She sobbed.

“Just tell me!” I demanded. “On the back of this photo, at the very bottom, it has two words. You know what they are, don’t you?”

She hesitated for a moment, before slowly nodding.

“And you know what they mean?” I then questioned.

Again, she slowly nodded. I proceeded to also drop to the floor so that I was level with her, as I practically shoved the photograph into her face.

“So come on, Mum. Who is he?” I whispered.

Again, there was a moment of hesitation before she finally looked up, teary-eyed and shaking. As she met my gaze, I knew she’d given up. She couldn’t lie anymore.

“He’s your dad, Midge.” She said back just as quietly.

“Jason’s your real dad.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8K 61 15
Avenged Sevenfold Fan Fiction: Nikki was very anxious to start her first internship with the new arising band, Avenged Sevenfold. As she works with t...
418 20 9
"It was an interesting situation to be in, really. I never thought when I'd agreed to become Avenged Sevenfold's lawyer that we'd be in this position...
201K 8.3K 35
Zanobia, finds it hard to balance love, work and motherhood. Raising three kids on her own isn't easy especially with little money. After being hurt...
9.2K 313 15
This story is about a girl who goes through nothing but pain. She feels unloved and unwanted, thinking that she doesn't belong here she one day finds...