Playing For Keeps (Book 2 & 3)

Stellar_Riot által

Two people. One plan. A twist of fate. A not-so-typical modern day fairytale that can happen to two people wh... Több

Book 2. Author's Note.
2. Chapter 1.
2. Chapter 2.
2. Chapter 3.
2. Chapter 4.
2. Chapter 5.
2. Chapter 6.
2. Chapter 7.
2. Chapter 8.
2. Chapter 9.
2. Chapter 10.
2. Chapter 11.
2. Chapter 12.
2. Chapter 13.
2. Chapter 14.
2. Chapter 15.
2. Chapter 16.
2. Chapter 17.
2. Chapter 18.
2. Chapter 19.
2. Chapter 20
Book 3. Every End is a New Beginning.
3. Chapter 1.
3. Chapter 2.
3. Chapter 3.
3. Chapter 4.
3. Chapter 5.
3. Chapter 7.
3. Chapter 8.
3. Chapter 9.
3. Chapter 10.
3. Chapter 11.
3. Chapter 12.
3. Chapter 13.
3. Chapter 14.
3. Chapter 15.
3. Chapter 16.
3. Chapter 18. - PART 1.
3. Chapter 17.

3. Chapter 6.

15.7K 181 40
Stellar_Riot által

"Always believe something wonderful is about to happen..."

"Say it again, princess..." Alex said excitedly while he held his phone. "Say it one more time, come on, Zooey Marie, and let Mommy hear it..." Zooey gave out a laugh, while she sat on her baby bouncer seat. "Who you lookin' at, princess? Who you lookin' at?"  

Zooey gave him a toothless grin. "Daddaah... Daddaah..."  

"Okay its official, Zooey's first word... is..." he added.   "Daddaah...Daddaah..." the little girl said on cue, repeating it like she was getting herself used to saying the word. "Daddaah... Daddaaah..."  

"Of course, you're daddy's girl, aren't you princess?" Zooey giggled and babbled. "Okay say bye bye na..." And then she waved her small hand. "Bye, bye, Mommy... see you later... O smile pa..." she did what she was told.  

Alex saved the video on his phone and then he posted it on his Facebook account with a goofy smile on his face. After uploading, he tagged Drei, his friends, his aunts and uncles, his cousins, and his dad.   Zooey's first word, the caption said and in just a matter of a few minutes, he was responding to almost thirty comments. Who would have thought that his little girl would call him first? It went straight to his heart and he felt prouder more than ever. Fatherhood was becoming him and Alex loved every minute of it, every day, especially now that he's been working at home.  

Getting a home-based job suited him well because all he needed to do was finish every task by 8 pm, that's it. Although the demands and pressure are totally different from his call center job, he could handle it with ease and he's enjoying the perks of working at home. With his flexible time, he's able to juggle work and his daily routine – he could still jog four times a week, take Matty to school and Drei to work, attend to Zooey's needs and all the whatnots. In the past four months of working at home, he's already getting pretty good at multi-tasking.  

Today, they were inside his room. Alex was on his desk working on his iMAC while Zooey was busy watching Baby Einstein, still stationed at her baby bouncer seat that was on their bed. The parade of comments was now flooding on his latest Facebook post but Drei didn't comment on it yet. Puzzled, he grabbed his phone and dialed her number, getting up from his seat and placed himself on the bed beside Zooey.  

"Yes, world's greatest daddy?" Hearing Drei say that made his heart flutter a bit and a smile appeared on his face.  

"Hey, pretty baby mama!" he said right back. It's almost lunch time. "How's your day?"  

They've been openly flirting with each other more these days, not just on Text, BBM, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter but most especially when they're together. One thing's for sure, it wasn't part of their little show anymore. It's like a game that the two of them were unconsciously playing, after that second official date they had in 9 Spoons at Bayleaf Hotel.  

To Alex, even if he hasn't told Drei yet about his 'proposal', this is the best for him on how he shows it. This is his version of 'ligaw'... Subtle flirting. He does his thing the best way he knows how and to his surprise, Drei reacts mutually. It's a good sign that he's on the right track and besides this is much fun from his point of view.  

There are days when Alex would just show up in Drei's office thirty minutes before lunch. You could just imagine how a big guy like him, 6'2 in all his Greek god glory, shows up at St. Luke's Global City with packed lunch, an adorable baby on a sling and boy next door smile on his face. And the sight of him by the door, Drei could feel her innards squirm with longing. Who wouldn't? Because every female and female-hearted person in the room has the same reaction.  

"O nawala panty mo?" Peter would tease her. "Aminin mo nawala! Hindi lang panty, kundi pati pa kaluluwa....atay, matres, ovaries, mammary glands, intestines... lahat na! Nyetang Alexander! Tonginah! Makaalis na nga, ang init!"  

The unexpected appearances, the dates, the nicknames they've been calling each other, the banters, teasing and the casual touches went on. And how Drei was still sharing the same bed with him up to this very day, now that it's been almost a week that Caroline has left their condo unit, is odd. Both of them have not questioned why they were still doing this because suddenly things are so mutual like they both had an unspoken agreement.  

The exchanging of compliments and flattery was another thing that they've been constantly giving each other. There was a time when they both went to Serendra because Alex needed a new shirt for a boy's night out. When they ended up in a store, he asked Drei to help him out with what to wear and he ended up trying all that she picked out for him.  

"Are you sure this shirt is okay?" he asked doubtfully when he stepped outside the fitting room. Drei took in the denim colored dress shirt with tiny embroidery-like prints all over that he has on. He undeniably looked hot, with his day old scruff and his messy hair that she loved. Drei frowned and Alex's brows furrowed. "O, bakit ganyan mukha mo? Di bagay, right?" She stepped closer to him and narrowed her eyes on him and then on the shirt he was wearing.  Drei ran her hands over Alex's chest and then on the shirt's collar.

"This is unfair, bubba...." She told him, and then she looked up and met his gaze. A small sexy smile appeared on her face. "You look hot..."

And it was just enough to blow Alex's mind away.    

"Really now?" he checked, arching up a brow at her. There goes another teasing from Drei, he thought and with that he snaked his arms around her tiny waist, trapping her in his arms. She doesn't protest, instead she smiles at him smugly. A flicker of mischief appeared in his eyes. "Talaga, bubba?"  

"Yep!" Drei nodded in agreement, pinching his chin and freeing herself from his grasp. "I'm a woman, trust me!"  

The subtle flirting was working out for them as of the moment and with all this playfulness, they were both letting the sexual tension crackle in the air between them. Drei was fully aware of it and heck, she was letting him because she's enjoying every single moment of it, for what it's worth. To wherever this was taking them, she doesn't know yet but for now, she might as well go with the flow. Now, she was letting her heart take over, letting her head take a back seat.  

"Just got out of a meeting, bubba..." she told him. "Kakapasok ko lang sa office. I feel drained... so what's up? May problema ba?"  

Alex sighed. "Wala naman, just checking out on you kung buhay ka pa ba..." They both chuckled and Zooey laughed too when she saw her daddy did.  

"Awwww I can hear her laughing... put me on speaker, bubba... please..." And Alex did.  

"Hi Mommy...." He said and Zooey babbled to imitate him.  

"Hello baby ko..." she responded and the girl recognizing her mother's voice, giggled excitedly. "I miss you, pumpkin...I misss you so much..."  

"Buti pa si Zooey na mimiss ni Mommy, si Daddy hindi..." Alex pouted in front of his daughter, feigning hurt. "Wawa naman si Daddah, hindi miss ni Mom..."  

"Asus!" Drei smiled when he heard what Alex said. "Sige na nga... I miss you na din, Daddy...."  

"Walang so much?" Alex teased.  

"Ang arte ni Dadda, Zooey no?" The little girl cooed, agreeing with her mom. "Fine... I miss you so much, Daddy... I miss you so much, Zooey..."

Alex grinned like an idiot.   "Yey, miss din ako ni Mommy..." And Zooey laughed seeing the reaction on Alex's face. She swayed her small, chorizo-like arms. "I miss you too, Mommy... Miss ka na naming dalawa ni Zooey..."

He did, he missed her whenever she's not around even if it sounded silly. Then he turned the speaker off.  

"O bakit ka nga pala napatawag?" she wondered.  

"I missed you nga..." his voice sounded serious.  

"Sira! Loko loko ka talaga!"  

"Am not! Ayaw mo maniwala pero nakangiti ka!"    

 "Anong nakangiti?!"  This made Drei look around.  "Hindi no!"

"Oh bakit sabi ni Ate Tessa sa status niya..." He paused and read out Tessa's newly posted Facebook status. "Ang babae sa katabing table ko nasa telepono na naman at ang ngiti hindi lang hangang tenga... hangang ulo talaga! Ikaw na! Ikaw na teh!"  

Drei cringed and turned to the direction where Tessa was. Yes, she and Rachel were looking at her, with their arms crossed. Rachel flashed the note she wrote...

MAY SARILING MUNDO KA NA NAMAN! MALALA NA YAN!

And then her two colleagues shook their heads in disbelief like they were sorry for her.  

"Naniwala ka dun, bubba!" She heard Alex laugh and this made her smile even more... the sound of his laughter. Undoubtedly, she missed him too.

"Hey enough already, seriously why did you call, Mr. Lizares?"  

"Cos I missed you..." he repeated, smiling to himself.  

"Okay," Drei fought a smile, momentarily closing her eyes for a sec to let it all sink into her thoughts. She could feel herself blush. "Ummm...I dunno what to say... errr... Thank you cos you missed me?"  

"You're blushing aren't you?" he guessed.  

Her eyes popped open. "What the? What are you? CCTV or something?"  

"No!" He laughed. "Cos Rachel said so in her comment on Tessa's status post...."  

Drei turned again to their direction and saw the two of them watching her like a live show but now Bev joined in. WTF, she mouthed at them and the three snickered. She grabbed her little notebook and threw it at them.  

"Okay bakit ka nga tumawag, bubba?"  

"I...missed.... you..." Drei knew he was teasing her but she was still blushing while her insides were somersaulting like crazy. "Parang di ka naniniwala! I missed you, bubba...."  

And then he repeated it over and over again. Damn her because she believed him.  

"Alex stop that, please..." she pleaded.  

"Titigil lang ako if you say that you missed me too..."    Drei could clearly imagine the puppy look on his face. Darn!  

"Fine!" She retreated, sucked in a breath and slowly let out a sigh. What the hell was wrong with her? Because she was giving in to his wishes while he was channeling a bratty kid as his peg at that moment.  "I... I missed you, too..." And there was an ounce of truth in it. "Happy now?"  

"Very!" he said. She could feel him grinning on the other line. "So anyways, did you see my post on Facebook?"  

"Not yet, wait..."  

As she logged into her account, she finally stumbled upon the trending topic on her news feed that had 250 likes, 80 comments and 12 shares. Her daughter's latest video. She played it and there she heard their little diva's first word... 'Dadda'. Her heart just melted right there and then. Her eyes were suddenly glossy.  

"Hey, bubba, you still with me?"  

She grabbed a tissue on her desk and wiped her eyes dry. "Yeah, I'm here, I saw it already...."  

"Pano ba yan, Mommy... Dadda's the man!" The happiness in Alex's voice was evident that it made Drei smile.  

"Oo na, ikaw na..." she congratulated him and she's proud of how he's been a great dad to her children, even to Matty, who wasn't even his own. "Bubba, I have to go na, kanina pa ako inaantay nila Tessa..."

"Ah sige... enjoy lunch, bubba, ingat kayo ha..."  

"Will do!"  

"Alright, pick you up later, okay? Wait for us..."  

"Yes, boss!"  

"And bubba..." he stopped her.  

"Mmmm?"  

"I really did miss you..." he said.

Drei smiled and there goes her heartbeat racing frantically in spite of herself because she believed it. "I missed you too..." she told him.  

"Yung totoo?" he checked.  

"Oo nga..." Drei answered. Then they both fell silent, each with a smile on their faces. "Eh, ikaw, yung totoo?"  

"I missed you..." his voice was soft-spoken, a little shaky as he said it again. But it was honest and it's exactly what he felt at that precise moment. Drei could feel him smiling on the other end of the line. "See you later at four thirty! Mmmwah!"  

And then they hung up. Drei bit her lip as his last words lingered in her thoughts. He missed me, she thought and the weird aftermath of their conversation left her on seventh heaven. There's a thin line between fact and fiction but she doesn't know where exactly she stood. It just felt so surreal.  

Out of all the days, Alex told her today... Today, three days away from Valentine's day, was the first time that he told her that he misses her after so many months. Things were unfolding right before her eyes, it was everything she'd hope for... but she was still praying for more.

**********

Two days before Valentine's Day.

"Hey, dad!" Matty said in almost a whisper.      

"O, bakit?"       

Matty checked to see if the coast was clear and indeed it was. They just finished having dinner. Drei was completely out of their sight leaving the two of them on the dinner table. Manang Pilar was in the living room with Zooey on her lap while the old woman was watching the evening news.      

"Did you tell Mom already?"  Alex cringed and Matty gave him a frown. "Bakit?"      

Alex opened his mouth and closed it again. There's nothing new to share since he promised the boy that he'll pop Drei the question! Nothing happened that night after the date. He had the perfect timing right in his grasp that day – they were alone in the car, during dinner, in the movies and heck, in the bedroom – but the words just would not come out of his mouth.  Even before he could actually say it, his fear has already taken over him. Once again, Matty caught him off guard. The boy did know when to ambush him with that one question he's been avoiding for the past few weeks. There was no escaping anymore because Matty sat there waiting for his reply.      

"I tried, you know..." he finally admitted, despite the fact that he knows his macho reputation is already smeared with the word coward all over in front of this boy he loves so much. He tried. God knows he did... countless times he did! "I really did... I did my best..."      

"But your best wasn't good enough?" Matty arched a brow at him.      

Alex was boggled. "Hey! Saan mo naman na kuha yan?"      

Then Matty sang the whole song with his eyes closed and the mood lightened up between them.    

"James Ingram, Dad..." the boy said smugly. "Di mo siya kilala?"      

"Kilala... teka how in Jesus' name did you know James Ingram, Matt?" he asked, still puzzled.  

"Tito Aldrin likes him and he plays his James Ingram CD every Sunday..." Matty told him. "So, your best wasn't good enough..." he pointed out, bringing back the subject and then he shook his head as if he was disappointed in him. "You're hopeless, Dad!"      

"Anong hopeless?" Alex clarified defensively. Matty just shrugged. "Hindi ah!"      

"Ang hina mo kasi, Dad," his brows furrowed.

"Oi, di ako mahina ah!"       

"Weh?" Matty teased him. "Okay, Dad... you're mabagal!"      

"Hindi din!" He scowled at the boy. "I'm just looking for the perfect timing! Ikaw talaga!"

Alex reached out and ruffled Matty's hair. The kid was just so smart that he could see right through that cool veneer he's been putting up front.

"Dami mong alam eh! Maka hopeless ka eh! Saan mo na naman narinig yan?"      

"Parati mo na lang kasi sinasabi yan sa akin, Dad, eh," Matty pointed out. "You always tell me that you're looking for the perfect timing... ilang beses na kayo ni Mom nag date and kahit dito sa bahay, I always leave you two alone... wala pa din..." Then he let out a heavy sigh.      

Indeed, Alex was becoming a hopeless case with all that emotion bottled up inside of him. It was pathetic to see how a ladies' man like him had suddenly morph into this helpless, inexperienced school boy in front of the woman he's been yearning for, for the past six months.      

"Because, let me tell you Matthew," he said. "It's not easy confessing to a girl that you really, really like..." He expected sympathy from the almost-eight-year-old boy sitting next to him but he got none. Instead, the boy gave him an evil eye. "Oh bakit ayaw mo maniwala? Totoo kaya, mahirap kaya!"  

He couldn't lay his cards straight in front of her and he doesn't understand why he gets jittery around her and then his mind just goes blank. He was losing his groove. What he feels for Drei is making itself known to him and he was becoming aware of it. He was already falling for her... faster than he expected... just when he thought that he can handle it all, his emotions are outrunning him.

Despite the flirting and the sexual tension crackling between them, being with Drei made him feel wonderful. Drei made him feel human... Drei made him feel the warmth that he's never felt before. And this is the first time, after so many years, that he felt this way for a woman.... this powerful attraction he had for Drei frightened him and when he's scared, he gets defensive. Maybe not his best quality but one he couldn't shake.      

"Okay... sabi mo eh!" Matty shrugged. "If you ask me, it's not that hard..."      

"What's not hard?" Drei interrupted, and the boys turned to see her coming towards them. "Ano na naman pinag-uusapan niyong dalawa, ha?"  

Alex smiled. "Ah wala, Bubba... we're just talking about Guitar Hero... di ba Kuya?" Matty snickered over the alarmed look on his face and Alex slid him a look. "Di ba Kuya?" he repeated and the boy nodded in agreement.

"Naku, Guitar Hero na naman? You guys better start early and don't stay up late, Kuya!" Drei reminded them. "Akala ko kung ano ano na naman yang pakulo niyong dalawa..." Then she glanced at Alex. "Bubba, thanks for the flowers kahapon!" She told him. "And for the Hydrangeas today..."

Everyday Drei has been receiving flowers from Alex since the first day of February. A bouquet with a small note would be sitting on their bed waiting for her every time she comes home.

Day 1, colorful daisies.

I wanted to brighten your day like you always brighten mine.

Day 2, Forget-Me-Nots

You look great today. How do I know? Because you look great every day.

Day 3, Malaysian Mums

I do not think much... I do not think often... but when I do think, I think of you...

Day 4, Carnations

Don't your feet hurt? Cos you've been wandering around my thoughts all day long...

Day 5, Gladiolas

No one else could make me smile, the way you do.

Day 6, Lilac

If I'm the reason for your smile, you'll never get a reason to frown.

Day 7, Chrysanthemums

If I were a stop light, I'd turn red every time you pass by, just so I could stare at you a bit longer.

Day 8, Gardenias

Do you have a map? I just keep on getting lost in your eyes. 

Day 9, Lilies

If I had a star for every time you brightened my day, I'd have a galaxy in my hand.

Day 10, Sunflowers

There must be something wrong with my eyes, I can't take them off you. 

Day 11, Aster

If nothing lasts forever, will you be my nothing?

"Glad you liked it..." he smiled at her.

"Havey yung pick-up line mo today, Bubba..." She praised.      

"What did Dad say, Mom?" Matty wondered.        

"He said...  If it were up to me to rearrange the alphabet, I would keep U & I together..." she said out loud. Matty chuckled and eyed Alex. "Nice, I liked it..." her eyes twinkled.      

"Really?" Alex asked.      

"Oo naman... parang ginagawa mo na atang flower shop yung bahay eh..." she told him.      

The flowers she's been getting everyday were making her heart skip a beat. It wasn't the first time that Alex got her flowers, but this was a first for Drei... a first that she received twelve different kinds every day and it kept her looking forward to what's next tomorrow.  And she is wondering why Alex is doing this... What's with the flowers? Was he trying to tell her something?      

"If you were some other guy, mapapaisip akong nanliligaw ka, bubba..." she added. Drei arched a brow at him and her eyes twinkled in curiosity and amusement. "Liniligawan mo ba ako?"      

As the million dollar question came out from Drei's mouth, the whole room grew silent and it was as if the whole world was now turning the spotlight on Alex. The drum rolls... Manang Pilar looked over to where they were, Matty fought the smile that was forming on his face; and Zooey cooed a "Daddaa..." like she was asking him too. Was he making his move on her?      

Liniligawan mo ba ako?     

The question echoed inside his head. Alex's chest tightened as he suddenly felt the room getting smaller. His face got pale, his hands sweaty and he felt dizzy.        

"I-I..." he stammered. He couldn't think straight. Tell her damn it, he heard a voice say. Then he glanced at Matty who was giving him the look. It seemed that everyone was waiting for his answer.  

"I just thought na it would you know... brighten your day... Alam ko kasi na you're busy so wala lang..." then he flashed her his boyish grin, despite the fact that his heart was pounding wildly in his chest. "Pang pa good vibes lang, bubba..."      

So much for the suspense because nothing happened, again. Matty rolled his eyes.  Manang Pilar let out a disappointed sigh. And Zooey pursed her lips and made a "Brrr" sound.        

"Ahhh..." Drei nodded. "Lakas ng trip mo, Bubba ah..." He didn't know what to say, all he could do was grin at her like stupid fool that he is. "Thank you ulit!"      

"Anytime, bubba!" he said.   Alex and Matty watched as Drei left them. She headed to where Manang Pilar was and took Zooey away from her.      

"Okay, time for bath na Zooey!" she said, carrying their little one in her arms. "Say bye na kay Daddy and Kuya..." Zooey moved her hand up and down, and then they disappeared into the hallway.      

Alex let out a sigh of relief because he just escaped the guillotine. He relaxed. Manang Pilar stood up and walked towards them.      

"Akala ko naman, yun na!" Manang Pilar told him. "Pambihira ka naman, hijo!" Alex cringed. "Naandoon ka na eh, sayang!" Then she disappeared into the kitchen.      

The crazy part was Alex knew he had to deal with this problem so he could get over it. With only two days left before Valentine's Day, he was running out of time.        

"Chicken!" Matty coughed.

And maybe he is!

=================================

Music: My Heart Skips a Beat by Lenka

Thank you to Liz, Ate Jessie, Ate Connie, Madam, Ate Chi, Shei, Pau, Emi... =)

And to everyone who's been loving Alex and Drei since the beginning... I can't thank you enough... you guys are awesome! =)

Olvasás folytatása

You'll Also Like

14M 369K 22
WARNING!!! MATURE content inside for 18 years old and above! If you're an INNOCENT or NOT AN OPEN-MINDED reader, please refrain from reading this sto...
456K 17.4K 31
"Now you listen to me and you listen good! I don't give a shit in what you think about me because guess what? I could care less! You mean NOTHING to...
76 11 16
Its the 2nd installment of "please wait your turn"2 Its about our Badboy redflag Millionaire trust fund baby Daniel Garcia who is still unsure of he...
76.6K 3K 66
Ariel Lee has been stuck for years in a dead-end job as an assistant chef. Struggling to meet ends meet in a life of poverty while raising her young...