The Miner's Girl

Autorstwa Angelnico1e

Parker Schnabel. Nicole Forrest. What happens when you move back to where you came from after seven years? Wh... Więcej

Introduction
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Our Cabin Photos
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106

Chapter 44

194 4 0
Autorstwa Angelnico1e

(((February 12, 2016.)))
Parker's POV
Yesterday was Grandpa's 96th birthday. But, since his birthday fell on a Thursday, we decided that we would have his party today, Friday. Of course, we still made a big deal out of his birthday, the five of us did. We brought him some cupcakes and balloons, and said happy birthday. We spent the day with Grandpa and Grandma.

Nicole and I are fine now, after the little episode the other day. We went out for dinner and a movie on Wednesday for our three month anniversary. We both get jealous, but it's better to get jealous and be afraid of losing someone than to just not care at all what the other person does. I know that I can't live without Nicole; I lived without her for the longest time, and now that I have her, there is no way that I'm letting her go. I love that girl so much. Disagreements and arguments are a part of every relationship, but what matters is that you work through them.

Anyway, today is Grandpa's party. Mom, Dad, and a few other family members are coming down to the hospital for the party. I really hate that we have to do it in the hospital, but at least we're doing it. It's a family tradition to have Grandpa's party. Of course, this year it won't be as big as in years past, but family is here. Grandpa says family and love are the most important things in life, and he has both.

"Mom, we have to go get Grandpa's present." I said to Mom while she, Nicole, and I were out in the hall, walking to the drink machine.

Mom looked at us like she couldn't believe that we hadn't gotten a present yet. "Well, you better go get one. The party starts at five."

"What time is it now?" I said as I took my phone out of my pocket. "Three."

"We better get going then." Nicole said.

"Yeah, kids, you better if you want to make it back before five." Mom said.

"You got everything under control here?" I asked Mom.

"Yes, son. You two go." Mom smiled.

"Okay, Mom. See ya later." I said as I gave her a side hug.

"Bye, son." Mom smiled as she gave me a peck on the cheek. "Love you. Drive safe."

"Love you too, Mom." I said.

"Bye, honey." Mom smiled again as she gave Nicole a hug and a peck on the cheek. "Love you too."

"Love you, Mom." Nicole smiled.

Nicole and I walked out of the hospital, holding hands, and started riding down the road.

"Mom really thought that we hadn't gotten his present yet." Nicole chuckled as we were riding down the road to the Fedex place.

I chuckled. "I know. We ordered it more than a week ago."

"We still have to get him a card, though."

"Yeah, we'll go by Target or Walmart or something."

"You think he'll like the present?"

"Of course." I smiled.
***
We were back to the hospital at 4:45; we had looked around for a little bit while we were getting Grandpa's card, well, Nicole wanted to. The present had already came all wrapped up and we put a little tag on it. Nicole was nervous about it, because she couldn't look in it and see what it looked like. I told her that it would be fine, but I could tell that she was dying to look at it. We bought him a card, and wrote in it, both of us.
Everyone, including a few cameramen, but Grandpa, Grandma, and Dad were in the other room where they were doing the party in when we got back.

Payson, Hannah, Nicole, and I went into Grandpa's room while the others, including Dad, were getting everything ready. We talked, and Grandma helped Grandpa into a nice shirt and tie. Hannah and Nicole walked with Grandma out while Payson and I wheeled Grandpa in his bed.

"I guess we've got a party for you, Grandpa." I smiled as I stood beside his bed.

"I can't have a party unless we get there." Grandpa said.

I smiled. "Well, then let's get there."

We started rolling him down the hall to the other room.

"You know, it's kinda too bad we have to do this in a hospital, but at least we're doing it." I said to Grandpa as we went down the hall.

"I'm totally honored." Grandpa smiled as he was rolled into the room.

***
The party was a good time. Music played, conversations were talked, and Grandpa seemed to enjoy it. My grandpa hadn't missed any of my birthdays, and I wasn't about to start missing his. We took pictures, and the cameramen got it all taped. A cake was filled up with candles on top, and we all gathered around and sung happy birthday to Grandpa. Grandpa told the cameraman, "The love that is in the air is the greatest present anyone could receive. Material things are fine, but love is the most important thing, and I'm surrounded by it."

Later on, he opened his presents.

"Here, Grandpa. This is from me and Nicole." I said as I handed him his last present.

"You and Nicole, huh?" Grandpa asked.

"Yes, Grandpa." Nicole smiled as she sat down in my lap.

Grandpa opened the card first and read it before unwrapping the present. He unwrapped the present to reveal a box that he opened. He pulled out of the box a gray fleece blanket with gold around the trims. A fairly large throw, it had the words "U.S. Navy" sowed into one of the corners. Grandpa served in the U.S. Navy as an airplane mechanic in World War II. Grandpa smiled as he took it out of the box and unfolded it.

"How you like it, Grandpa?" I said.

"Oh, it's wonderful." Grandpa smiled. "Thank you."

"We're glad you like it." I smiled. "We love you."

"And I love you both." Grandpa smiled.

Nicole smiled as she reached over and gave him a hug and a kiss on the cheek. She helped him spread the blanket out, replacing the one that he had before.
***
I was bent down beside Grandpa's bed talking to him a little while later, before we wheeled him back to his room.

"It's been a fine party." Grandpa said.

"It has been a very nice one." I agreed.

"You've been a very welcome addition."

"The big question is, are you going to make it up to the Yukon for my birthday this summer?"

"That would be nice, wouldn't it?"

"Yeah."

"Well, we'll see how my leg responds to that treatment, and then we'll see how my body responds to the struggle. So...I've lived long enough."

"Not yet." I smirked.

"Oh, I do."

There was no sense in arguing with him about it, so I stood up and said, "All right."

"Thank you, Parker." Grandpa said as he shook my hand. "Are you going to wheel me up?"

"Yeah."

"Okay. Thank you."

"Anytime."

"I'm ready to be wheeled. You going to wheel me, Payson?"

"Of course. I'll help you." Payson said as he got on the other side of the bed.

"Bye, bye, everybody." Grandpa smiled and waved as we started to wheel him out.

Various farewells and last happy birthdays were said, and we wheeled him up while he sang.

Payson and I said good night to Grandpa, and went back to the other room to help clean up. Grandma had went back to her room, and people were getting ready to leave. People left until it was only me, Payson, the girls, Mom and Dad. Mom and I did one last check on their rooms, and Grandpa and Grandma were both asleep.

I fell asleep that night in the hotel bed with Nicole's face buried in my chest and our arms wrapped around each other. There is no better way for me to end the day than in her arms. That girl is my everything.
***
(((February 13, 2016)))
Today, Nicole and I were leaving for the Yukon. No, we're not going to start mining yet, but we are going to go look at some ground and some other things at Scribner. We're going to fly to Juneau and ferry to Haines to get my truck. From there, we're driving to the Yukon. Mom and Dad, along with Payson and Hannah, are staying for a little while longer. Of course, Nicole and I will be back to see Grandma and Grandpa before long.

We packed our things up, while Payson and Hannah went ahead to the hospital.

"Parker, are you glad that we're together?" Nicole randomly asked while she was folding up her clothes that she had washed and dried downstairs.

"Of course I am." I laughed. "Why would you ask a silly question like that?"

"I don't know. Sometimes I think that you deserve a better girl than me."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa." I said as I went over to her and grabbed her arms for her to look up at me. A tear was in her eye. "There is no girl in the world that is better than you. What's wrong?"

"The picture that you posted online, of me and you. People are being mean and saying that I'm ugly, or fat, or that I'm just a gold digger, or that I don't deserve you, or..." She couldn't go on anymore. She wrapped her arms around me and cried in my polo.

"What are you talking about, baby? I never saw anything like that." I said as I wrapped my arms around her.

"The one that you just posted last night. The one with me, you, and Grandpa."

"Oh, I haven't looked at that one yet. I'm sorry, baby."

"I knew that this would happen. I'm not beautiful, I'm not a model."

I put my finger to her chin and lifted it up so she would look at me. "Look, you are beautiful. You're the most beautiful girl in the whole world. You are so not fat, and you're not a gold digger." I smirked. "I'm the gold digger in this relationship. And if anything, I don't deserve you. You're so sweet, and nice, supportive, helpful, and I love you very very much."

She sniffed. "I love you so much, Parker."

I kissed her forehead and wiped her face with my shirt. "I love you. Quit crying, it hurts me to see you cry."

She smiled. "Okay, I'll quit. Just that Ashley thing got me feeling like I could lose you, and I couldn't bear to lose you."

"Baby, you'll never lose me. And I'm sorry that you still feel that way. I deleted her number from my phone."

"Thanks." She whispered.

I grabbed her waist and pulled her up to me and kissed her. She smiled as she kissed me back. I laid her down on the bed and hovered over her while we roughly kissed. I started to unbutton my flannel shirt that she had on, but she stopped me.

"Parker, we have a flight to catch, and we have to say bye to everyone at the hospital."

"Come on, just a few minutes." I smirked.

"You know you can't do a just few minutes." She smirked.

I let out a deep breath and rolled over beside her on the bed. "Later?"

"Of course, honey." She smiled as she stood up and started buttoning her shirt back up.
***
At the hospital, we were all sitting in the room. We talked for a little while, then everyone but me and Grandpa were left in the room while everyone else was gone to help Grandma get settled into the rest home that she would be recovering at with Grandpa until he could walk good again. I had said my goodbyes to her, and I decided that I would stay back with Grandpa for a little while and pick up Nicole on the way to the airport.

Grandpa and I talked, about different things, about what I should do as far as mining, and other things. I showed him the picture that I had posted of us last night, and he couldn't believe how many people liked and wished him a happy birthday. He talked about how things have changed so much in his lifetime, and I agree, a lot has happened in his ninety six years. Before I left, he had this conversation with me:

"I don't particularly wish you billions of dollars like Bill Gates or Buffet, but I do wish you to have that same wonderful feeling with someone you love. Nicole. You need to treat her good and hold onto her. She reminds me a lot of your grandma. Don't let her go, Parker. You did a great thing by finding her."

I smiled. "Thanks, Grandpa."

I stood up and said, "Bye."

I bent over and gave him a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

"Love you." He said.

"Love you too." I smiled.

I grabbed my phone from by the window and started walking towards the door.

"Bye bye." He smiled.

"Bye, Grandpa." I smiled.
***
I picked Nicole up, and after another set of goodbyes, we headed to the airport. We were on our way home for the night.

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

428K 25.9K 85
Y/N L/N is an enigma. Winner of the Ascension Project, a secret project designed by the JFU to forge the best forwards in the world. Someone who is...
328K 9.8K 105
Daphne Bridgerton might have been the 1813 debutant diamond, but she wasn't the only miss to stand out that season. Behind her was a close second, he...
483K 14.6K 98
Theresa Murphy, singer-songwriter and rising film star, best friends with Conan Gray and Olivia Rodrigo. Charles Leclerc, Formula 1 driver for Ferrar...
67.8K 1.3K 47
*Completed* "Fake it till you make it?" A messy relationship with a heartbroken singer in the midst of a world tour sounds like the last thing Lando...