Playing For Keeps (Book 2 & 3)

By Stellar_Riot

Two people. One plan. A twist of fate. A not-so-typical modern day fairytale that can happen to two people wh... More

Book 2. Author's Note.
2. Chapter 1.
2. Chapter 2.
2. Chapter 3.
2. Chapter 4.
2. Chapter 5.
2. Chapter 6.
2. Chapter 7.
2. Chapter 8.
2. Chapter 9.
2. Chapter 10.
2. Chapter 11.
2. Chapter 12.
2. Chapter 13.
2. Chapter 14.
2. Chapter 15.
2. Chapter 16.
2. Chapter 17.
2. Chapter 18.
2. Chapter 19.
2. Chapter 20
Book 3. Every End is a New Beginning.
3. Chapter 1.
3. Chapter 2.
3. Chapter 3.
3. Chapter 4.
3. Chapter 5.
3. Chapter 6.
3. Chapter 7.
3. Chapter 8.
3. Chapter 10.
3. Chapter 11.
3. Chapter 12.
3. Chapter 13.
3. Chapter 14.
3. Chapter 15.
3. Chapter 16.
3. Chapter 18. - PART 1.
3. Chapter 17.

3. Chapter 9.

17.4K 164 34
By Stellar_Riot

"Life doesn't always give you second chances... so take the first one..."

Drei woke up to the feel of fingers touching her face. Earlier, she woke up with her head heavy and throbbing in pain. She literally couldn't get herself out of bed, which led her to decide to call in sick. After talking to her boss on the phone, Matty bid her goodbye and Alex made her breakfast - bacon, eggs and a glass of orange juice - that's supposedly going to help cure her hangover. When the boys left, she drifted off to sleep some  more.

Opening her eyes at around ten, she blinked her morning view into focus. Two of the most beautiful people in her life were smiling down at her. Alex was lying beside her, propped up on his elbow and Zooey was sitting in front of him. 

Zooey smiled and touched her nose. The little girl turned to her dad. “Maaaa….”

“Hala ka, pumpkin…” Alex teased. “You woke Mommy up!”

Zooey giggled and clapped her hands.

“Good morning, Mommy,” Alex greeted. “Say good morning, Mommy…” Zooey babbled her baby talk version that made Drei smile.

“Hi.” He smiled. His voice was morning gruff and caused shivers down her spine.

“Hi.” She smiled back at him.

A heavenly sigh escaped her lips as Alex reached out to cup her face. Leaning over, his lips touched hers, warm and tasting like coffee. And that kiss just reminded her of what had happened to them last night… how Valentine’s Day changed it all.

Before last night, it had been a month since they both had human contact. Sure they had kissed each other last Christmas under the mistletoe and when Zooey came out, but last night was different. It’s been almost a year since they last kissed like that. When Alex reached out to cup her face, her breath stuttered in her chest, her heart seemed to contract but she didn’t run away. Instead she sat there and turned herself over to him in a blink of an eye. Eyes drifting shut, her lips parted on their own.

Kissing Alex again stunned her and it felt like she never really understood what kissing was before. It was like kissing him for the first time. It was as if their mouths had been made to kiss only each other, and the shock and the thrill, the urgent, hot feeling, and the sounds of kissing, and the fact that kissing him felt so right… it was all there in that moment.  She couldn’t talk herself out of having this moment. She needed this moment, wanted it for what it’s worth. It wasn’t long when they both ended up inside their bedroom and on the bed. The feel of Alex wrapped around her, the softness of his skin and the heat radiating from their bodies… Drei seemed to need this every bit as much as he did.

She deepened the kiss and he responded in kind, their tongues stroking frantically. Hungry and wanting. He moved his hands to her breasts and cupped the curves. His thumbs brushed against her tight, sensitive nipples, making her groan. Reluctantly Alex pulled back and she let him go. They stared into each other’s eyes, their breathing hard. He held her gaze. She had no idea what he was looking for or what made him stop but instead he bumped his forehead unto hers, trying to steady his breathing. He knew that she wasn’t ready for this yet.

“I missed you, bubba…” he said to her again. He rolled to his side and pulled her close to him, wrapping Drei in a tight embrace. Their face inches apart.

“I missed you, too…” she answered and Alex smiled at her. He gave her another slow and gentle kiss goodnight. They both drifted to sleep, locked in each other's arms.

Drei knew that what happened last night will somehow change things between them. And it was already starting, right now, in front of her face. How can something like this feel so right yet it feels odd and scary and amazing at the same time? She didn’t know why but a powerful emotion surged through her. Desperately afraid to trust it, she shoved it aside. For now, she wanted to enjoy this moment with him.

“Bakit mo naman ako hinalikan?” she covered her mouth. “Morning breath…nakakahiya!”

“I don’t care about your morning breath…” he told her. “I wanna kiss you every…” He kissed her forehead. “Single…” On her nose. “Day...” On her lips. Then he gazed at her again. “Starting today.”

“Okay…” She could get used to this, she heard herself say. “What time is it?”

“It’s almost lunch time… you feel better?” he checked and she nodded. “So good morning, bubba…”

“Good morning, bubba…”

Alex gave her another kiss and Zooey leaned over in between them, pushing them apart as if reminding them that she was still there. They chuckled.

“And yes, good morning, pumpkin pie!” Drei said to her.

She laid Zooey down on the bed, in between her and Alex. Their little girl laughed as she and Alex smothered her with kisses. Now this was a good way to wake up in the morning. It was just too good to be true.

 *** 

“Happy birthday,Matty…” the guests sang and their voices filled up the dining room of the Buenaventura's in Guadalupe. It was a beautiful Wednesday afternoon, the fourteenth of March and Matthew Antonio Soriano just turned eight.

Earlier that morning, they dropped by Heritage Park to visit Anton, since today is also his seventh death anniversary. They brought his favorite chocolate cake, flowers, lit some candles on his tombstone and said a prayer.

Antonio Joaquin F.Soriano
September 10, 1979 – March 14, 2005
Forever in our hearts
Ateneo Blue Eagles #10    

The boy did his usual routine, which was updating his Dad about what’s going on in his life, since they get to visit him only on special occasions like today, his birthday, and during All Soul’s Day. And this is the first time that Alex had agreed to go with them. The boy narrated on the new things that happened in his life - his new sister, where they now live and how he spent his Christmas and New Year.  

“Dad, eto nga pala si Daddy Alex,” Matty said introducing the guy beside him as they stood in front of Anton’s grave. “He’s my baby sister’s dad pero sabi niya okay lang din daw if I also call him dad… so naging daddy ko na din siya… sana Dad, wag kang magtampo if magiging daddy ko din na din siya ha. Daddy Alex is a great dad… Mabait siya and he's cool. We play the Xbox and Guitar Hero together. And he takes care of me and Mom and Zooey...”  

Matty went on telling Anton what Alex does for them and particularly, what he and Alex do together. Hearing him say all that, Alex felt as if Anton was giving him an evil eye. Like as if any minute, he’d rise out of his grave and give him a punch on the face for winning over his son’s approval. Drei stood there beside them listening while they wait for Matty to finish. Alex turned his head over to her direction and saw the somber expression on her face. How could he forget that this man lying six feet under was her one true love? She missed Anton and he could see it in her eyes. And right there, Alex somehow wished that Drei could love him just as much or even greater.  

It took Drei and Alex only a week to finally decide whether to throw a party or not since Matty didn't  really want one. But Alex insisted. He wanted Matty to have a party that's worth remembering and since the boy is doing well in school, they might as well throw a big one for him. They both finalized an early dinner party since its a school day. They had a photobooth, a magician, and a face painting station, which Alex took care of. The party started at around 5:30 and before the party started Drei’s family in the States greeted Matty via Skype.  

Matty’s smile broadened as he glanced at the people who surrounded him. Everyone that is special to him were there – his favorite teachers, his classmates, his Titos and Titas who were mostly Drei’s friends, the Soriano’s, his Tita Des and Tito Aldrin; and of course, the Lizareses – Lola Chi, Lola Madam and Lolo Dan – were there, too. He glanced at his left side and smiled at the three most important people in his life right now – his mom and his Daddy Alex with his sister Zooey in her babysling. The scene before him was just like last Christmas… he was surrounded by his complete family.  

“Okay, Kuya don’t forget to make a wish…” Alex reminded him after they finished singing the birthday song.

Smiling, Matty closed his eyes and everyone waited for him to finish. When he did, he blew the number eight candle on top of his Lego-inspired cake that his Ninang Jeannie got for him. Everyone cheered and the early dinner began.  

“Happy birthday, Kuya!” Drei said as she inched closer to Matty. She cupped his small face and took in the sight of her son. He’s looking more and more like Anton as he gets bigger. Who would have thought her first born would soon be a little young man? Her eyes were suddenly glossy.  

“Mom, you look like you’re gonna cry…” he told her. “Wag ka naman umiyak, Mom… birthday ko eh… you shouldn’t cry on birthdays…”  

“Yeah, you shouldn’t cry on birthdays, bubba,” Alex cut in, placing an arm around Drei’s shoulders. The two looked at him. “Last time I saw you cry, it was during Jeannie and Yo's wedding…”  

Matty snickered. “I remembered that…”  

“I wasn't gonna cry!” she countered. The two men in her life were obviously bullying her. She shifted her attention back to Matty, cupping his face. “Ang bilis lang kasi ng panahon, Matt… you’re growing up too fast…” The boy smiled at her and then she leaned and kissed his forehead. “I love you, babe… Happy birthday!”  

“Thanks Mom!” he said smiling at Drei. “Thank you for the party… It was so cool especially that magician…”  

“Hey don’t thank me…” she told her son, pointing to the guy whose arm was now snaking on her waist.  
“Thank you, Dad…” he turned to Alex and then gave him a hug. “This is the coolest birthday ever!”  

“Happy birthday, Kuya!” Alex added. “And you’re welcome! We love you, okay? Aral pa ng mabuti!”  

“Ako pa!” Matty said smugly, after breaking off from the hug. “Nasa top three ata ako!”  

They are both proud of him. Matty is part of the honor roll, member of the Boy Scout, a yellow belter in his Taekwondo class, and at an early age he’s learning to be a good brother to his sister. And well, he’s also been beating Alex in NBA Live and Guitar Hero. The boy bid his goodbye and they watched him run off towards the living room to join his classmates.  

“You okay?” Alex asked.   “Yeah… I’m fine…it’s just that I cant believe he’s eight already… “ She sighed. Drei felt Alex pulling her closer to him, his arm still on her waist and she leaned into his side.  

“Well, ikaw na din nagsabi… they grow up so fast…” he said and then he nuzzled her hair and gave her a peck on her temple.  She agreed.  

“Where’s Zooey?”

“Eh di nandoon sa mga fans niya…” He pointed at one corner where their little girl, who just turned six months last week, was being flocked by the guests. Manang Pilar held her as she was entertaining her Ninong Peter. She's Miss Congeniality and she's becoming a chatter box.  

“Teka, you sure you’re okay, bubba?” Alex checked again, turning her chin with a finger to face him. Drei smiled and nodded. Then Alex cupped her face and met her gaze. “You did a great job on Matty and don’t you ever forget that, okay?” he assured her.  

“Okay…” She buckled her knees because they're beginning to get wobbly.  

“I’m proud of my bubba…who’s one hell of a wonder woman…” A slow smile appeared on his face.

“Thanks…”  And then he kissed her nose. 

Jeannie suspiciously narrowed her eyes on the scene that had just transpired before her. Not far from where she was seated were Alex and Drei. The two were too close to each other while they were talking to Alex’s dad, Dan. And for the past two hours, Alex’s hand was glued on her best friend’s waist like it never really left since she first saw the intimate gesture. She’s been silently observing them since the last scene she saw thirty minutes ago.  

Drei handed Zooey over to Alex for a diaper change and that time, they were both chatting with Ate Des. And what caught her by surprise was when Alex so casually kissed her best friend on the lips like it was the most natural thing in the world. Not on the forehead, but on the lips! She never saw them do that ever before, especially not in front of every single person inside this house tonight. Kissing in front of the general public? Now that was something! She could understand if they were a couple but the fact is they're not. She knew that they weren’t putting on a show. Seeing what's happening with her own two eyes, Jeannie’s brows involuntarily arched up like they had a mind of their own.  

It’s been almost a month since they, she and her husband and the rest of their friends, saw the two. They’ve all been busy with their lives and with their work that they haven’t met up for their usual monthly dinner get together. It’s no wonder she’s been acting like this when she saw what Alex just did. There was really something odd in the picture and she could feel it. And she was determined to find out before the day ends.  

“Pete,” she elbowed their gay friend who sat beside her, who was now drinking wine with the rest of the group they were sitting with – Francis, his boyfriend, Tina, Cris, Rica, Rachel and Tess. They were all done with the early dinner and now it was time to relax.  

“Yes, mars?” he answered, turning his attention to her.  

“Nakita mo ba yung nakikita ko?” she asked in an almost whisper.   Peter looked around.

“Yung lahat ng nakikita mo, mars? Oo naman! Nakikita ko lahat! Nandoon yung mga Tita ni Drei sa isang sulok, andito tayo, andoon yung mga asawa niyo sa garden, andito boyfriend ko sa tabi ko, yung mga bagets naman kanina pa naghahabulan… kaya yes, Mrs. Legaspi nakikita ko po lahat!”  

“Gaga!” she blurted out. “Hindi yan ibig ko sabihin! Shunga ka talaga!”  

“Eh ano ba ibig mo sabihin?” Peter asked again, laughing. “Klarohin mo kasi, malay ko ba!” Jeannie sighed.  

“Nakikita mo ba ang nakikita ko?” she repeated once more and this time Peter understood what she meant, so he looked over at the direction where Jeannie was looking.

Bingo! There they were! Their targets at six o’clock.  

This time they were cozier than the last. Drei was slicing up a piece of cake for Matty and his classmates when Alex suddenly hugged her from behind and kissed her shoulder and then on the side of her head. He said something to her that made her look up to meet his gaze. Drei smiled and gave him a nod. Alex smiled back, gave her another kiss on the shoulder before untangling himself from her and walking away.  

And Peter sat there a little stunned with what he saw.  

“Punyeta! Ano yun?” he exclaimed causing the rest of their friends to turn their attention to him.  

“Gaga wag ka maingay! Bunganga mo!” Jeannie whispered.  

“What happened, Pete?” Tessa wondered.  

“Wala!” he smiled innocently then he grabbed Jeannie by the arm and the two of them excused themselves. “Teka kuha kami ng food ni Jeannie…”  

They stood up and walked towards the table where all the food were laid out. Peter grabbed a plate and Jeannie did the same. Still keeping an eye at Drei, they slowly inched closer to where she was.

“Ang ingay mo talaga!” Jeannie scolded. “Naku!”  

“Eh sorry na, nagulat kasi ako sa nakita ko, mars!” he told her. “Kanina mo pa ba sila tinitingnan?”   “Oo, mga thirty minutes na…” then she paused, while she took six pieces of Macaroons and placed it on her plate. “There’s something fishy Pete! Lakas ng radar ko… meron talaga eh…” And then Jeannie went on telling him what she saw.  

“Emergehhhd! May ganun? May kiss sa lips?” he gasped.

“Keep your voice down!” she reminded him again.  

“Eh di ba nga nagkukunwari sila sa harap ni Madam, eh andito si Madam eh..”  

“Alam ko pero nung makita ko yun, iba eh. Hindi siya yung pakitang tao lang… may hugot eh, hindi scripted… hindi reel kundi real… as in R-E-A-L…”  

Peter paused and glanced over at Drei who was now talking to Alex’s Tita Chi with Zooey in her arms. It was obvious that their friend is glowing and Peter has to admit that Drei was acting like a lovesick puppy these past few weeks. And come to think of it, she's been acting this way since after Valentine's Day. Now, it was his turn to be puzzled.

Right on cue as the two stood there, Alex came into the picture and interrupted the two women and right behind him were three of Matty’s teachers, who were obviously thanking them and bidding their goodbyes. When the teachers left, Alex again, for the nth time, placed his arm over at Drei’s shoulder and they resumed talking to his Tita Chi. They saw him asking Drei about something and then he locked a strand of her hair on her ear.  

“Omigod! Did you see that?” Peter whispered.  

Then Alex grabbed a tissue paper and wiped the sweat off of Drei’s forehead.  

“I know right!” Jeannie stated, taking a bite at one of the macaroons she had on her plate. They both stared. “So… reel or real?”  

“I’ve seen them putting on a show and this one right here is not a show…” he pointed out and Jeannie agreed.  

It was different because the way their eyes twinkle when their gazes met was something new. And the way Alex was being so touchy feely got his attention. They were like newlyweds who just came back from their honeymoon. Peter was now convinced that something was really going on that they don’t know about.  

“I told you… iba di ba? I saw them pretending in front of Madam before, but this, my dear friend,” she gestured at the two who wasn’t far from them. “This is the real thing! And I smell something fishy, Pete, lakas ng kutob ko…”  

“Let’s find out…” then they finally strutted towards Drei.  

Drei was still with Alex, Zooey and Tita Chi when her two friends finally appeared beside her. Peter and Jeannie greeted them and finally, they politely asked for their friend to be excused. Drei obliged and handed Zooey over to Alex. They had Drei locked in between them as they headed out to the garden.  

“O, ano meron?” Drei asked when they came to a stop. She gave them a smile. “Ba’t parang urgent ata?”  

“Is there something we should know about?” Jeannie asked, crossing her arms on her chest.  

“Like what, bes?” she began and then she smiled at them. “I don’t get what you mean…”  

“Like that smile on your face right now… that sparkle in your eyes… ano yan?” Peter questioned. “What’s up with you?”  

“What?!” Drei snickered over at their remark. “Ano ba kayo?! You guys are weird!”  

It was obvious to them that Drei doesn’t know what they’re talking about.  

“It’s not us who are weird, Andrea…” Jeannie insisted. “It’s you… and Alex…”  

Pink-colored stains appeared on her cheeks and that’s when Drei knew she got some explaining to do. There was no running away now.  

“Spill, darling…” Peter urged. “We’re waiting…”    

It took a while for Drei to finally grasp what her friends were trying to ask from her. She stared at Peter and then back at Jeannie. She knew what they were talking about but then again there was something in her that was holding back.

“Spill what?” she asked unfazed.

“Mars, stop pretending that you don’t know what Jeannie and I are talking about… seriously!” Peter pressed. “You have that goofy smile on your face for weeks now and I saw it again today… something is definitely wrong!”

Thirty days. It’s been thirty days since that kiss they shared left them both breathless. In those thirty days, the changes in both of them were undeniably apparent.  

Every morning they’ve been waking up in each other’s arms and he’s been the first thing she sees whenever she opens her eyes. A couple of times, Drei would always find herself touching Alex’s face all because she wanted to make sure that this wasn’t a dream. Feeling her touch, he’d open his eyes, brush his nose on hers and bring her into a tight embrace while he nuzzled her hair. And how Drei loved feeling the warmth of his body on hers and being engulfed by his smell, it was all worth waking up to.

Other than the snuggling and cuddling, they’ve been kissing, too. As a matter of fact, they’ve been kissing a lot and kissing like crazy, love-drunk teenagers who couldn’t get enough of their fill. And it leaves them breathing hard and gasping for air.

And most of all, he’s been treating her like a princess. He’d cook for her, take her out on a date, and yeah, the flowers. Alex never failed on that department because he was an expert on that field. And Drei never expected him to be such a romantic, a side of him which he never showed anyone in his life. But all of this was vaguely familiar to Drei because it felt just like before… that time when Alex had her world spinning back in the right axis despite the craziness.

Drei blushed at the thought of how things were going between her and Alex.

“See, there you go again…” Jeannie pointed at her face. “Look at you!”

“Why?”

“You have that look in your face… you’re glowing!” Peter added and then he gave her a suspicious look.

“I’m not glowing!” Drei’s brows furrowed with his accusation.

“Ohhh myyyy gaaaahd you guys are sleeping together!” Peter gasped and his eyes widened in shock. “Shit! Umamin ka na! Chumurva na kayo??? Kailan??? Paano???” Peter was now shaking her. “Ilang beses??? Oh my gahhd! Mars!!! Kwento ka na dali!!!”

 “Hey!” she stopped them. “Ano ba kayo! Kung ano ano na naman naiisip niyo eh!”

“O ano nga ba dapat namin isipin ha? Sige nga!” Jeannie chuckled. “No wonder you’re glowing! Nagkaka aksyon na pala ang buhay mo, bff!”

“God! Napaka assumera niyo naman!” she told them.

“Could you blame us?” Peter threw back at her. “Kung ayaw mo kaming maging assumera, then spill it… ganon lang ka simple…”

“Fine,” she resigned and a victorious smile came across Peter and Jeannie’s face. She sighed. “Okay… me and Alex, we’re trying to see if this works out…”

“Meaning? Kayo na?” Jeannie questioned. “As in kayo na? Like magjowa? Boyfriend-girlfriend, that kind of thing?”

And at that point, the same question hurled itself back at her. What’s their status? Because despite the actions that they’ve been showing off, it wasn’t actually pretty clear to her yet.

“Is it official? Did he tell you the L word?” Peter inquired.

 “I… we…” she didn’t know what to say. The truth is she didn’t know what they were and the kind of relationship they have. She was speechless.

Reality came in all shapes and sizes. And this reality that was caving in on her was in a form of a question that she unconsciously had an answer already. They weren’t official and neither did he tell her that big L word. Nothing. There was nothing. He didn’t even set things straight between them the morning after. He never said anything and she didn’t ask. She was too caught up getting lost while she relished every single moment she had with him. It was like jumping off a cliff head first. And the irony of it is that she did the same thing before. Was he just leading her on? Is this thing between them a somewhat replay of what has happened to them last time? Were they playing the game again? On and on questions began propelling themselves to her and it suddenly scared her.

Her doubts began to resurface again along with the what ifs. She almost forgot that this was still the Alex she has known… the man who could never love her back… the man who offered her convenience and a practical solution in raising their child but never offered her his heart. And right there, she no longer trusted herself. 

***

“I can see that goofy smile again, bro!” Pao commented. “Kanina ka pa, nahahalata ko na!”

The house was no longer rowdy and crowded. The rest of the guests had already made their way home, including Rica and Jules, some of Drei’s officemates, Matty’s classmates, Anton’s family, the Lizareses and Drei’s cousins. After his friends had helped out in clearing away what’s left when the party ended, they were all sitting in the garden enjoying a bottle of beer – him, Johan, Pao and Mickey – while the ladies and their two gay friends were inside doing their thing.

“Psssh!” Alex smirked at his friend’s remark before he took a swig at his beer. “Tigilan mo nga ako Pao!”

“What’s been happening to you, bro?” Johan asked. “And what’s up with you posting cheesy stuff on Facebook?”

“I saw that too…” Mickey joined in. “Like yung isang pinost niya… ‘Taking care of my baby…’ nagiging corny ka na ah… kailan pa?”

But before Alex could even answer, Pao joined in.

“Nakita ko din yun, Mik! Sinong baby mo, bro?” Pao jeered. “Yung anak mo or yung nanay ng anak mo?”

“Wala!” he told them.

“And now this is new… Alex being discreet about his love life… tsk tsk,” his best friend commented giving him a speculating look.  “Mukhang iba yan ah!”

Alex just shook his head in disbelief and tried so hard to hide the smile that was about to appear on his face. And the moment Johan said that to him, Drei popped into his head and just thinking about her is enough to make him smile all throughout the day.

Having their supposedly date on Valentine’s Day being cancelled was a blessing in disguise because something unexpectedly amazing happened to them that night. He never thought that kissing the only woman he’s adored for almost a year already would make him this smitten as he was now. It’s all because of that kiss they shared on that fateful night. That kiss rocked his world.

Everything he felt for her burst from his heart to this throat. He hadn’t expected to feel something like that, specifically for Drei alone. But heck, there it was. Emotions so deep and real, he didn’t know how he’d live without them now.

“Come on, bro, you can tell us….” Mickey encouraged. “We promise not to tell!”

Alex drank more of his beer and arched a brow at his friends, who were now waiting for him to spill the beans. Pao, Mickey and Johan, waited in anticipation.

“What’s there to tell?” Alex asked them coolly. “Wala naman ako dapat sabihin sa inyo…”

“Don’t gimme that shit, bro!” Pao warned, and then he sipped his beer. “Anong wala, look at you! All smiling and shit like you’re high on weed or whatever you’re high on!”

They all laughed. He’s been getting his daily dose of happy pills and he’s never felt this alive all his life. It was wonderful. Everything that’s been happening to them was just wonderful and overwhelming that he didn’t want this to end. In his world now, there was only Drei and not Drei. There wasn’t any middle ground. No chance for anyone else to matter.

“Yo,” Pao turned to Johan. “Pagsabihan mo nga yang best friend mo!” Johan snickered because Pao can whine like a bitch sometimes. “He smiles like goofy and I swear I saw that look before!”

Johan slid Alex a glance. The look on his face was oddly familiar and he couldn’t help but notice it when they arrived earlier. And like the rest of their friends, he began to wonder what made that kind of look appear on his face again and it’s been years since they last saw him like that. Only two things came into Johan’s mind now as they sat there: College and Cheska.  

Was Alex in love? And this time, was he in love with the woman he swore that he would never fall for? Johan mulled over this for a moment and out of the blue, his thoughts drifted back on what he saw earlier. He just came out from the washroom on the second floor because the one downstairs was occupied. When he was about to go back downstairs, he happened to pass by Drei’s old room and there he saw the two.  Drei was sitting on the bed, with Zooey in her arms while the little girl was finishing her milk. Alex stood in front of her, changing Matty into a clean shirt after he’d wiped the boy’s back.

For a moment there, Johan didn’t recognize the man in front of him because this wasn’t the Alex he grew up with. This was a different man. A man who looked like he loves the life he has now. He didn’t expect this kind of change to take over his best friend especially when all of this was an accident. But maybe this trick of fate was what Alex needed, he thought.

Right after Matty has changed into his clean shirt, the boy and Alex bid Drei goodbye. But before Alex headed for the door, he bent down and gave Drei a kiss on the lips. The gesture came naturally and what stirred Johan the most was that the two were not in front of anyone but themselves. How long was this going on? Is this play pretend becoming a real one already?

“What?” Alex asked when he saw his best friend looking at him. “Ano na naman yan, Yo?”

Johan smiled and then turned to Mickey and Pao. “Wala na to mga chong… in love na to!” The boys chuckled and nodded their agreement leaving Alex dumbfounded. “Pupusta pa ako, sila na!”

“Sabi ko na nga ba!”  Mickey exclaimed and sipped his beer.

“Anong kami na? Kami ni Drei? Hindi pa ah, we’re still trying to see if it’ll work out…” Alex blurted out in his defense. “Ayaw kung pangunahan kasi baka maudlot siya or what and I don’t want to pressure her either. We’re taking things slow. Slowly but surely…”

“Now that’s a revelation!” Pao muttered. While Johan and Mickey just stared at Alex.

 “Wow.”

“You guys are dating? ” Mickey checked. "Like exclusively dating?"

“I guess…” he shrugged. "If that's how you put it..."

“Bro, this thing between you and Drei,” Pao began. “This isn’t like the usual dating game you’re playing right? Like the flavor of the month thing?”

“No!” he answered vehemently because it wasn’t.Ever since Drei and Matty started to live with him last year, things were shifting drastically in his life. He wasn’t doing his usual scheme on women, let alone that epic fail night he had with Liz when his officemates dared him to do a move. It was the same night when he came home and found Drei in labor. There weren’t any women that followed after that.

He hadn’t needed anyone permanent for a very long time. And for a very long time he’s been swinging from one relationship to the next, all of them were the same – they were all fleeting and he never really connected with them emotionally. Thus, he’d sworn his life that he didn’t need anyone, and yet whenever he stares into those beautiful, warm almond eyes every morning, Alex found himself wondering what it would be like if this thing between him and Drei was real. For him to have someone watching out for him or just be at his side, whether he needed her or not. It was clear to him that everything he wanted was right there beside him, just waiting for him.

“Basta masaya ako,” he told his friends. “Like I said to you guys before, she….” He paused. “She makes me happy and that’s all I know for now…”

“So kayo na nga?” Johan asked.

“Seven words, Yo…” He narrowed his eyes on his best friend.“What you see is what you get…”

And with that he left them a wicked smile.

***

They’re definitely together again, Matty thought to himself as he sat on Alex and Drei’s bed while he was watching the current program in National Geographic. He was already in his pajamas and tonight he wanted to sleep with his mom and dad. He wasn’t actually allowed to sleep with them during weekdays, but since today was his birthday, the eight year old Matty had a free pass. From time to time he’d glance over at the two – his mom just finished changing Zooey into her sleepsuit and his Daddy Alex was on his computer checking his email.

Matty couldn’t ignore the unexpected shift of events lately between his Mom and his Daddy Alex. He’s been noticing it since last month. It all started when he saw them kissing like ‘how they do it in the movies’, as he would always say. It was actually an accident because he usually never barge into their room without knocking but that night he did. They were in bed, Zooey was already asleep in her crib and a movie was playing on the TV inside their room. Just as he stepped right in, there he saw them kissing each other. And they literally jerked, pulled away from each other and sat upright when they heard the sound of his voice. They were like a deer in headlights, frozen on the spot when they saw him standing there by the door.  

Since then, he noticed how different they were around each other. Sure they would hold hands even when Madam was still with them, but he knew they were friends. He knew his dad hasn’t mustered the courage yet to tell his mom about he felt, how he liked Drei. But as he saw what he accidentally saw just a week after Valentine’s Day and the how they were all over each other lately, Matty knew that one of his wishes were coming true. He was wishing, and praying every single day, that Drei and Alex would get back together.

He liked Alex ever since they first met that summer in 2008. He liked him even more when he knew that he used to be his mom’s ‘boyfriend’, when he asked Alex if he could also be his dad and he said yes, and when he asked them to move in with him in his house. They’ve been inseparable ever since doing everything together from cooking, to basketball, to groceries to Guitar Hero and the list could just go on.

For the first time in Matty’s life, he finally knew what it felt like having a father and the whole package that came along with it.  Alex was the dad he never had, and maybe if his real dad was still alive he’d be just like him.

Once again, Matty glanced over at the two in front of him. Now, Zooey was sound asleep. Drei just came out of the bathroom in her pink Hello Kitty pajama set while Alex just came back inside the room with a glass of milk and water with him.

“Kuya, drink your milk,” he heard Alex say and he stood up from the bed and walked to Alex’s study table.

While Matty started to drink his glass of milk, Alex headed to where Drei was. She was inside the bathroom now and had just finished brushing her teeth. Alex appeared behind her and hugged her from behind while she wiped her face.

“You okay?” he asked, looking at her through the mirror. She was unusually quiet while they were driving home from Guadalupe.

 “I’m okay,” Drei gave him a faint smile as she met his gaze.

“You sure, bubba?” he kissed her temple.

“Yup,” she said looking away.

“Ang tahimik mo kasi kanina pa…”

“I’m just a little tired,” she sighed, breaking herself free from his embrace. “Tulog na tayo, may pasok pa bukas.”

Maybe she was just tired, he thought to himself because earlier she wasn’t like that at all. He set those thoughts aside as he closed the bathroom door and showered. After showering and changing into a cotton shirt and boxers, he found the two in bed. And when he settled on his side, Matty suddenly sat upright and faced them.

“Puwede ba akong magtanong?” the boy wondered.

“Okay,” Drei answered. “What is it Kuya?”

“Do you promise to answer me honestly?” he checked.

“Well, bakit hindi? We will…what is it?” Alex wondered.

“Mom,” he looked at Drei. “Dad,” he looked at Alex. And then a smile appeared on his face. “Are you guys back together again? Boyfriend-girlfriend na ba kayo ulit?”

Alex was waiting for this day to tell the boy about him and Drei. Excitement rushed through him as he smiled at Matty.

 “Well, me and your mom we th–”

“No we’re not,” Drei finished for him. “We’re not boyfriend-girlfriend, Kuya.”

Anyone who said that words could cut like a knife was wrong. Words were a hammer to the gut, hitting you until you are unconscious. Words were like fire that could burn you until you are nothing. And he was the living proof. Frozen in place, he stood there beside her, speechless and dumbfounded.

Alex sucked in a breath as the potential truth of that statement hit him upside in the head. He couldn’t tell if she was joking or not but he waited. He waited for her to tell the boy more but she didn’t. Drei didn’t. Matty asked more questions about them but he couldn’t hear a thing because their voices were starting to fade. And all he could feel now was numbness all over his body and the sound of his heart beating fast like it was about to explode.

Music: You and I by Wilco

Thank soo much to Ate Jessie, Ate Jane, Liz, Madam, Ate Chi, Ate Connie, Pao, Emi, Pau, Shei, Eli, and to everyone who's been giving their love and support to this story... =)

At sa lahat ng nag enjoy sa kwento kwentong ito... =)

Playing For Keeps © 2013 KasuyTheFanGirl. All Rights Reserved

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 400 28
...They always say moving away is usually hard, scratch that, very hard. Is that still the case though? When dad died, I thought I lost everything I...
76.6K 3K 66
Ariel Lee has been stuck for years in a dead-end job as an assistant chef. Struggling to meet ends meet in a life of poverty while raising her young...
2.6K 46 38
For the booksmart yet naïve 16-year-old Nicky, high school in her quaint little hometown island in the Philippines had always been predictable. Until...
88.8K 3.2K 86
*LAI GUANLIN* He was cold, heartless, ruthless and arrogant. That's how people described him since he's the most well known and dangerous mafia man i...