Once In A Lifetime

By ermbspecial

Highest Ranking #1 A story of a woman who journeyed to the past to complete the missing pieces of her identit... More

Chapter 1: A Child's Cry
Chapter 2: Stranger in the Heart
Chapter 3: A Living Legacy
Chapter 4: Finding Courage
Chapter 5: The Unusual
Chapter 6: Guardian Angel
Chapter 7: Being with a Friend
Chapter 8: Watching Eyes
Chapter 9: Freedom
Chapter 10: Testimony
Chapter 11: Empowered
Chapter 12: Finding Peace
Chapter 13: Sarah
Chapter 14: At Linda's Grave
Chapter 15: The Sentinel
Chapter 16: Valedictory Address
Chapter 17: Unrecognized
Chapter 18: Broken
Chapter 19: The Revelation
Chapter 20: Tracing the Past
Chapter 21: The Past
Chapter 22: Unknown enemies
Chapter 23: The Heirs
Chapter 25: Time Unfolds
Chapter 26: In Retrospect
Chapter 27: Suspicion
Chapter 28: The Mishap
Chapter 29: Locked Door
Chapter 30: The Light
Chapter 31: More Lies
Chapter 32: The House
Chapter 33: Family Matters
Chapter 34: The Letter
Chapter 35: Disagreement
Chapter 36: Sacrifice
Chapter 37: The Inheritance
Author's Note
Chapter 38: In Safe Arms
Chapter 39: Forgotten
Chapter 40: Inner Voice
Chapter 41: Finding Home
Chapter 42: Finding Peace 2
Chapter 43: The Curse
Chapter 44: Arturo
Chapter 45: Face to Face
Chapter 46: Serendipity
Chapter 47: Peace
Chapter 48: Letting Go
Chapter 49: Battle Within
Chapter 50: The Rainbow
Chapter 51: Finally Home
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter 24: The Call

221 23 9
By ermbspecial

"The people who are meant to be in your life will always gravitate back towards you, no matter how far they wander."
-------

Caroline

"Hello Dad. Is there any news about her?" I was expecting him to call me for an update regarding Denise. It's been almost two months since she left. Until now, I could not believe she just disappeared that way. I've been wondering if she went to another school. Maines View University was her priority, but she's not enrolled there.

"I'm not sure if you want to hear this one, darling."

"Is there anything wrong with her?" I asked worriedly.

"Oh, there's nothing wrong, only something unusual."

"What do you mean, Dad?"

"Her Dad knows from the start where Denise is. Only, I can't understand why he seems unperturbed."

"Her Dad? Are you serious Daddy?"

"What made you think I am not serious?"

"I mean, if her Dad knows where Denise is,  Lola Soledad must be aware of it too. And she promised to give a word if she has clues about Denise's whereabout. Lola knows I've been dead crazy looking for Denise this entire summer.  How come she won't tell me?"

"Hey, you're concluding now, Princess. Why don't you go and visit her to know the score, while I'll arrange a meeting with Pastor Romano."

"Can I be there too, Dad?"

"I understand you're worried about Denise, but I got other business in meeting her Dad.  Just give Lola Soledad a ring now and visit her later, okay."

"As you said, Dad."

"I have to go now, dear," he said hurriedly.

"Will you be home for dinner, Dad?"

"Of course, Princess. Besides, I need to have some catching with you before leaving me for university."

"I love you Dad." I thought of the Hong Kong trip he promised before the school opening.

"I love you more, Princess." The line went dead. Daddy has his ways of letting me feel how important I am to him.

I dialled Lola Soledad's number but the line was busy. After attempting to contact the old woman for several times, I got impatient and placed the receiver down.
I was heading towards the kitchen to check what's for dinner when the phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Hi, pretty face..."

My heart skipped a beat when I heard a familiar voice, throwing everything I was holding into the air down on the floor, creating a banging sound while my heartbeat was struggling to have a normal pace. I noticed that my hand gripped the receiver possessively hurting my palm.

"Oh my God! Denise it's you! Where are you? How are you? Can..." Unable to finish my words, I broke into uncontrollable tears, unleashing all the mixed emotions I never knew I had the past weeks.  All I knew, I was thankful for a moment that finally Denise called.

"Hey, why are you crying? Aren't you happy with your resurrected friend?" She bemused.

"I would be happy to hang you upside down for causing the hell out of me. Damn you, Denise." I retorted sharply in between sobs.

"Yeah, I know and I'm really very sorry, pretty face. Please forgive me, will you?" She said softly. Her sincerity never escaped me, but my heart was searching for something more than that.

"Only if you tell me where you are now." I demanded as I was trying to stop my tears from falling. I got the hemline of my shirt and wiped the tears cascading down my cheeks  and flooding the receiver.  Suddenly, I heard someone coming from the kitchen.

"Please stop crying and tell me you're fine now."

"I'm okay. Now, tell me, where are you?" I finally managed to calm down after Yaya Becky had appeared confused but nevertheless,  handed me a glass of water and left with a questioning look.

"I just arrived here at Maines View a couple of hours ago," she declared nonchalantly.

"It's that for real?" My cat eyes narrowed in disbelief. All of a sudden,  the excitement was starting to build up.

"Of course. I haven't forgotten our dream school, pretty face. I saw your name posted in the dorm's lobby and..." I heard her summoned a deep breathe and paused.

"And?" I asked curiously. She sounded somewhat disappointed over something.

"And you got a roommate named Bianca something." I could feel her irritation. Or was it a bit of jealousy? I was not quite sure what it was. But it explained her seemingly uninterested declaration of being in the school now.

"That's impossible! I did not ask for any roommate, because deep in my heart, I knew you  would come and share the room with you." It was the truth. I remember telling the matron back in the dorm that  I have a friend coming to share the room with me. However, she retorted that reservation is not allowed and that the first- come-first-serve policy is being strictly observed. And so, I was forced to sign up a paper expressing that I would take the whole room myself and be charged accordingly without my Dad's knowledge. If Denise would come, the necessary adjustment in the business office would be made later, only with Denise but not with any girl in the dormitory.

"It's okay. I got my temporary room for the meantime. Now, am I forgiven?"

"Forgiveness is granted, but you still owe me a weekend escapade."

"Hey, don't tell me Baguio has not gotten out of your nerve. Can't that wait until next summer?"

"Can you assure me that the disappearing act  has no season 2?" I heard her contagious giggles, the one thing I really missed about her.

"What I can promise is when I disappear again, I'll bring you with me. I miss you, Caroline. Did you miss me, too?" I would be lying if I say, I didn't. But the hurt she left in me when she suddenly disappeared was still piercing.

"Oh, you hurt me Denise.  I am mad at you, that's all I have." It was of course a lie. Yes, I was mad, but it was never all I had for her. I care a lot for this girl who had given me so much friendship when everyone else turned their backs on me.  I was so afraid when she left, so afraid that she would never come back and leave a void within me that no one could fill. Just like the hollow my Mom left when she passed away.

"I know. I'm terribly sorry. Please forgive me, pretty face. Please."

"You got a lot of explanations to do and I guess, you better  have them in person before my heart would turn icy and hard as stone."

"I can't believe, you've got a lot of idioms this time, huh?" I could imagine her  smiling.

"Stop being funny. I mean it, Denise."

"I'm just trying to...It's my guilt, Caroline. I would not blame you for hating me. But even if I have to beg and kneel before you, I will do it Caroline. I'm really sorry." She was hurting just like me.  And I am making it hard to her. What's the matter with you, Caroline?  I asked myself.

"Do I really sound so cruel?  Come on, Denise, you know you don't have to do that." How I wished to say, okay, fine, let's drop this, no more explanation needed, you're back, it's all that matter.  But it's not that easy.

"I will do everything for your forgiveness."

"Then, better be on my bedside before  I wake up. I will just crucify you if you will not show up tomorrow." She giggled again and I loved the way she did it. But somehow, something was holding me. "There's nothing funny about it."

"Do you want me to miss the last day of enrollment and be in a limbo for rushing things here? Besides, class is due in a week, right?"

"Fine. Just don't miss the dinner at Lexus. I will see you there at 7."

"That's better. See you then, pretty face.  Bye for now..." She said softly. There was so much sadness when her last words vanished in the air.

"Bye Denise," the line went dead. I stared longer enough at the receiver before I finally placed it down. Then, I found myself crying terribly like a child for reason I could not understand.

-------
121016

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7M 17.4K 3
*Wattys 2018 Winner / Hidden Gems* CREATE YOUR OWN MR. RIGHT Weeks before Valentine's, seventeen-year-old Kate Lapuz goes through her first ever br...
545K 25K 42
Book 1 of Ishq Series. || Highest ranking: #1 in Cousins on 30 Aug 2020|| || Highest ranking: #1 in spiritual on 23 March 2021|| ||Highest ranking: #...
9.7K 678 15
ูƒุงุชุจุฉ ู…ุจุชุฏุฆุฉ ุฃูˆู„ ุฑูˆุงูŠุฉ ู„ูŠ ูˆุงุชู…ู‘ู†ู‰ ุงู† ุชู†ู‘ุงู„ ุฅู„ู‰ ุงุนุฌุงุจูƒู… ูƒูุชูุจุช ุจู‚ู„ู… ุงู„ูƒุงุชุจุฉ:ุฌู†ู‰ ุงู„ููŠุตู„โœ๐Ÿป
1.2K 263 36
-Love is risky and make sacrifices. (COMPLETED) Rank #62 - tragiclovestory Rank #19 - tragiclovestory Rank #55 - tragiclovestory Started Writing:June...