Chapter 14: At Linda's Grave

"In the end,
we only regret the chances
we did not take."
-------

1985
Saint Vincent Memorial Garden

It's been more than a decade since the last time he walked on this familiar path. He did not forget the way leading to Linda's grave, although changes were evident inside the cemetery. The trees were numerous providing enough shade and beauty to a place that was barren and dull years ago. The landscape was admirable with its newly manicured lawns arrayed with beautiful flowers and amazing stone formation revealing nature's grandeur in its miniature, giving life and hope for the loved ones of the sleeping souls.

He placed some flowers on her grave and lit a scented candle. In silence, he closed his eyes and uttered his prayer. He could not contain his emotions while praising his heavenly Father for the miracles He made in his life. Slowly and silently, the tears fell as he remembered all the love he and Linda shared in the past and how he failed Linda for the promise of making Denise happy. There was so much guilt in his heart that only Denise could take away. Although, he already felt God's forgiveness in his life, his heart longed for the forgiveness that only Denise could give.

"How I wish you can hear me, my darling. I know, I have failed you. Denise grew up without a father, because I was so coward. My life was completely devastated, because you're not with us anymore. I'm sorry if I hurt our daughter. But now, I will try to do all it takes to fulfill that promise. Hope it's not too late my dear." He said between sobs while embracing her grave.

When his emotion subsided, he narrated to her all that had happened to him since he left the country. It did not matter whether Linda could not hear him. He knew very well, every words he say, would be carried by the wind without Linda knowing them. Yet, he needed to pour everything out from the contents of his heart, believing that after all everything had been said, the heaviness from his heart would be lifted up by the unseen hands who guided him all throughout his journey in this life. There was so much silence in the grave...so much of nothingness, except the hope of a resurrection morning where he could see Linda once again.

Few minutes later, he contained himself, walked away from the grave ready to face the challenges of the coming days. When he was already at some distance, about few meters away from the grave, he looked back and saw two teen aged girls in their school uniforms approaching Linda's grave. He watched them from the corner of his eyes wondering. Their backs on him. They looked almost identical in their school uniforms, except the length of their hair. One girl had a waist length straight black hair while the other girl had a shoulder length wavy hair tucked in a pony tail.

He saw one of the girls placed a bouquet of flowers beside the wreath he laid few hours ago for his wife Linda. Then, suddenly, he remembered Denise. Oh, baby, is that you? His heartbeat was racing as he entertained the possibility that one of the girls could be his daughter.

How he wished to come closer, looked at her, meet her face to face and hug her endlessly if she was indeed his daughter. He could easily identify if Denise was one of the girls. His courage was intact, but never in his imagination he had the inkling to face his daughter in this kind of scenario. Definitely not in the grave of the woman they both love where tirade was a possibility. There would be such a confrontation, in God's perfect time and in a place where emotions are not inhibited. But not now, not here.

The girls sat on the grass. Few minutes later, he saw them embraced each other. One girl faced towards him now. Such a pretty face, he thought. But I'm sure, she is not my Denise. It must be the other girl. Somehow, he felt, the girl with pony tail was his daughter Denise. After few minutes, one of the girls noticed that he was watching them. So, he decided to leave and hurriedly rushed to the waiting car on the driveway.

"Let's go," he said to the driver inside the car. When they reached the exit gate, he instructed the driver to park the car on the sideway under a shady tree along the road facing the gate. There, he waited for the two girls to appear.

-------

Caroline freed herself from their embrace, wondering if she should tell Denise about the man. So what if they were being watched by a stranger? From the start when they left the school until they boarded the bus, everyone was giving them a curious and questioning look. Anyone passing by could indeed cast a lingering look, thinking that two school girls had fled in the middle of their classes without permission, when everyone else was busy complying all school requirements before the school year end. That would be enough explanation to ease whatever doubts she had about the stranger. There's nothing to worry about the man. Caroline decided to forget all about this nonsense. Besides, her friend was still dispirited. If there's one thing Denise needed at this point, it's the assurance of a better tomorrow.

"So, what now? One thing for sure, Ma'am Lacerna is wondering for the disappearance of her valedictorian. They are maybe having a manhunt at this time. Would you mind giving them some peace now?" Caroline stood up, hands on her waist, demanding.

"You're right pretty face. Time to go." She kissed the gravestone and said, " Bye Ma. Sleep well." Caroline pulled her up and they walked hand in hand away from the grave.

-------

Denis watched the two girls as they stood on the sidewalk apparently waiting for their ride. He could see them clearly. With unbelieving eyes, the girl with pony tail was exactly the look of his wife when she was her age. Denise, my baby, I know it's you. He closed his eyes in disbelief. When he opened them, he knew, his eyes were not deceiving him.

Then, regret sank in, piercing his heart, tormenting his soul for the forsaken years he left her motherless and defenseless against the pressures of growing up. She was seemingly fine, but her eyes revealed an emptiness he could not understand. Then he remembered the day he left her, the day when she was pleading him to stay. Everything was coming back... then, he understood those emptiness in her eyes...when he left and did not come back, he took everything away from her - her hope, faith and love - leaving her soul immeasurably empty...
-----
51116