Chapter 42: Finding Peace 2

"We hold on so tightly because we are terrified of loss. We hold on till our hands bleed. And in that self- shattering persistence, we fail to see the answer: Just let go."

-------

"Look at me, Denise. Now tell me, if you don't love Inang and Amang anymore. For if you do, don't let her die without your forgiveness." Caroline's voice was soft and pleading, melting whatever hardness left in Denise' heart.

For a moment, Denise seemed confused.

"What do you mean? What happened to Lola?" A feeling of alarm was starting to numb her body, sending chills to her already weakened state.

"She's been sick for the past days. When she learned about the accident, she became depressed like me. The difference between us was that I was fighting against my depression while she was wallowing with it. She would not eat nor take any medication. She's becoming weaker and weaker each day. She was thinking you're dead. And she blames herself for that."

Denise became suddenly agitated, a look of guilt reflected all over her face, realizing she had pushed the old woman beyond her medical condition.

"Where is she now?" Denise could not deny, beneath all the hatred controlling her, there was a part in her wounded heart that would always care.

"She's in your home. She refused to be brought in the hospital. Your father hired someone to look after her."

"Is she aware that I've been found and alive?" She thought if Inang would learn that she's alive, the old woman would have the courage to fight for her life.

"I think so. Your father was here with Amang when Dad rushed you in the emergency. They stayed for some hours, watching you. They just left when there was a call from your home, saying Inang needed them right away. So, your Dad called me to come over here, although I was already on my way. Your Dad said, Inang is very ill."

"Oh, please, help me out of here, I need to see her."

Denise suddenly pulled the dextrose attached to her wrist and jumped off from the bed, not minding the blood oozing from her wrist as a result of the dislodged IV tube. Caroline grabbed her arms and stopped her, saying,

"What do you think you're doing?"

"I need to see her, Caroline. Please let me go." She was struggling to free herself against Caroline's demanding grip.

"Yes, you will see her. But you need to recover first. Inang would be very much upset if she can see you in that horrible state. It would not help her. So, if I were you, take a rest. Tomorrow we'll see her, okay?"

"What if she cannot make it?" The fear in heart was so compelling shattering whatever hope left in her. Or was it because of the guilt so strong consuming her conscience?

"We can never tell. For all I know, Lola would be glad to see you by her side."

"Oh, Caroline, I'm afraid."

"I know. I got the same feeling when I thought you're dead. Because I know, I cannot forgive myself for asking you come at Lexus when somebody out there is after you. It was so selfish of me to expose you in danger. Then, I heard your father when he said that only love can drive all our fears."

"Huh? When? How? I can't understand."

"When you didn't show up at Lexus, I thought something terrible happened to you. Then, we heard about your accident. All the victims were recovered but you're missing.

"In those days, I felt so desolate. One day, your Dad visited me. I told him how frightened I was because of what happened to you. Then, I heard him say those words.

"At first, I didn't understand what he's saying. But before he left, he prayed for me. And for the first time in many years since Mom died, I felt all the fears in me were lifted. I had peace that night, that no matter what may come the next morning, it would be the best for all of us.

"Then, I visited him the following day in his office, only to find out there were so many people praying unceasingly for your safety, Denise.

"The day when you're missing, your Dad right away initiated a marathon prayer in all of the churches under his care, encouraging church members to do the same in their respected houses​, extending up to the prison houses where his ministry is alive, in order to pray for you, the family of the victims and everyone who is somehow involved in search for you. That included my Dad and his men.

"In my entire life, I have never witnessed so many people praying for one and the same petition.

"God is so good, Denise. He brought you back alive to us when the rest died and others are uncertain if they could still live for another day. God might be after for something in you."

Denise could not believe Caroline's testimony. It was beyond imagination that a girl like Caroline would take interest in something religious. But what is even more surprising was the fact that her own father, the one she hated all her life, had been an instrument to Caroline's sudden change of heart when she herself treated him with a stony heart. She was mystified and utterly speechless.

"Hey, are you listening?" Caroline tapped her friend when Denise did not say a word, then she continued saying,

"Don't stare at me as if you're seeing a ghost." Caroline said but Denise seemed to shrug off everything she uttered. "Are you okay, Denise?"

"Oh, I guess I need to rest now, as if everything is spinning​. I could hardly catch up." She said her excuses to avoid hearing more about her father.

However, Denise was happy for her friend. Secretly, she wished to find the same peace as Caroline did. Only, she could not imagine having her father to lead the way for her.

------

Hello readers, I just came back from a long trip outside & inside the country... The reason for late update. But I'm glad to announce that we are nearing its end.
Thank you for all your support.
Your comments are welcome.