Chapter 46: Serendipity

"It's not finding what's lost, it's understanding what you've found." -Alice Hoffman
-------

The old man studied his surprised reaction. Then before he could respond, he continued saying,

"But I understand. You are just doing your job. Don't worry. You have nothing to be alarmed of. I just want you to know, I am not the enemy here."

Their conversation was cut when the dishes in service à la française was served. Dishes mainly composed of chicken, seafoods, vegetables, pastas, soup and salads desserts. The two men slowly chowed down on their foods while conversing every now and then.

"I'm glad you're the one who got Denise after she walked away from Pacita. Denise is a family. I'm happy to know that she's alive since birth. But there are people who is not happy about it."

"I believe you're​ innocent. I would not dare to come here if you're the bad guy. But I would be honest to you, they really think you are the one."

"I don't give a damn if everybody suspected me as one behind those accidents. They won't prove anything except that I am my father's son." Arturo started munching the vegetables wrapped in crepe without knowing the sauce had pulverised mustard seeds.

"When they learned that I am indeed his child, they want me dead as well just like the rest of the heirs. Without any heir, they can have all the control in the company and all its wealth."

"Do you know who these people are?"

"I have already investigated them for many years but they're​ smart and clean in doing evil. It would be hard to prove their guilt, especially that some of the perpetrators have been dead. Few are still in the company with their corrupt intentions. It's too risky for Denise to take over."

"What do you have in mind then?" He was amazed at how Arturo ate the vegetables with so much gusto, avoiding the chicken and the seafoods which he himself devoured.

"The only way I know is for a merger and acquisition to take place. I'm willing to buy the company. I just don't know if Luis Santos and the Romanos will agree with my proposal. Hopefully, we can sit together and discuss the possibility, the soonest the better."

"Is that the reason why you are here?"

"There is so much reason to never come back here. But Pacita asked my help. The merger is only an option. When it's realized under a new leadership, Denise will still have it all, unless I find my son..." He paused drawing a deep breath, then he continued,

"I can't bring all my wealth when I die." There was a momentary silence. His countenance displayed an imperceptible sadness. It did not escape Mr. Aragon's​ notice. He was aware his son was missing. It's indicated in the report.

Poor old man, he thought.

Then, he saw him becoming restless, trying to catch his breath. His face turned pale.

"Are you okay sir?" He was worried when he heard the old man released a repetitive cough.

"My allergy triggers. Kindly ask the waiter what's in the sauce, please." He reached out from his sling bag and took his medication.

"You're cold. Here, take my coat first." He removed his coat and wrapped it around him. Afterwards, he signaled the waiter to come and asked him what's the ingredients in the sauce.

When they learned it has mustard seeds, the waiter apologized.

"It's not your fault. Don't worry, I'll be fine. I have taken my medication already." The waiter went away feeling sorry for the old man.

"Are you sure you're okay now? I can take you to your room."

"Don't bother. I'll be fine."

"No. You're not fine. I'll help you to your room."

He assisted Arturo as they walked towards the elevator, and into his room. Inside, he helped him to his bed.

"Thank you. You're such a fine man. If my son is still alive, he is your age."

"Can you recognize him if ever you see him?" He asked curiously.

"I guess so. He has a birthmark in the arm just like his mother. If I can see it, I can tell it's him. In my search for my missing son, I've seen so many kids with birthmark in their arms, but they were not the same like the one Lorena had."

Mr. Aragon could not believe what he was hearing. He has a birthmark in his left arm. Could it be possible that the man infront of him is his father? Could it be possible that he was the missing son Arturo has been looking for?

For a moment he was confused. Would he allow him to see his birthmark? How sure he is that his birthmark is identical to Lorena? Would he take chances? How big is the possibility of finding his father in him? And his mother in that woman named Lorena? What if it has no likeness to hers? It would be too embarrassing then. No. He would not take chances and be disillusioned.

"I have to go now, you need to rest."

"Please, help me convince Denise."

"Yeah. I'll try, but I cannot promise."

When he turned back to leave, he heard him walked beside him. He could feel Arturo standing behind his back and staring at the heart-shaped birthmark exposed on his left arm. Then without turning around, he heard him say,

"Thank you for your coat. It indeed served its extra ordinary purpose for this day."

Mr. Aragon turned around and faced him. Arturo handed him the coat saying,

"I know, this is not the first and the last time that we can see each other."

Then, unexpectedly, he hugged him and said,

"Thank God, I've found you, son."

-----

Ohh... 😄😄😄The fragmented pieces in the life of our characters are being placed together. Denise' life is next.😘 We're getting closer... Few more chapters and it's over. Thank you, thank you for all the support.😇

6.8.17