Chapter 30: The Light

"I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness for it shows me the stars."
-Og Mandino
-------

Mr. Aragon was studying the police report regarding the disappearance of Denise Romano. The vehicular accident happened at around 5:00pm, an hour after Denise left the school riding a private car that day.

Three vehicles were found in the area. Two cars, the one involved in collision, were completely damaged due to explosion. From these cars, four dead bodies were found. Two bodies were identified as the men hired by Father Luis Santos to keep an eye on Denise. The other two, were unidentified, since their bodies were completely burned. The report could not establish their identity unless the autopsy reports would be officially released.

Another car, few meters away from the explosion, was also found. Two bodies were found in this vehicle, a driver and a woman, both of them were found unconscious. They were rushed at the nearest hospital that evening.

The following day, they were transferred​ to a city hospital. The driver, was in comatose, and the woman, identified as Bianca Merin, was badly injured. It was also during that day that a certain Arthur Salazar confirmed that Denise was with Bianca inside the car when they left the school to meet a friend in the city. Arthur Salazar gave this testimony, in that same day, when the police went to the school to investigate. However, during the search, the police did not see traces of the girl, leaving everyone in complete wonder.

Where is Denise? If she's dead, where is her remains?

The report showed three possibilities: First, she was dropped off at the campus terminal and took another vehicle going to town, then to the city. From there, anything could happen that would explain why she did not make it at Lexus.

What about if she was kidnapped, then killed by those who killed her ascendants?

Second, Denise was one of the dead bodies unless disproved by autopsy results which could be released in a week or two.

Third, Denise was conscious, struggled to free herself from the wreck, walked some distance towards the woods and...

And only God knew what came after.

Mr. Aragon, feeling disappointed, slammed the case folder report on his table. Leaning on a chair with his feet rested on the table, he took a cigarette from his pocket and lit it. Puffing​ from his cigar, he released a silver-gray smoke curling and dancing through the air until it disappeared. He puffed several times, playing with the smoke. When he was relieved from the tension building inside of him, he stood up, grabbed his keys and left the office towards the parking lot.

He drove his car north - to a direction where the accident took place. When he reached the place, he saw the wreckage had been cleared. The remnants of a horrible scene due to the accident were out of sight. But in the memories of those whose loved ones had been swallowed by death or uncertainty of survival, the incident eft an aching pain engraved in the heart that could never be healed nor forgotten.

Caroline, his dear daughter, had succumbed to intense depression when she learned Denise' fate and constantly blaming herself for her disappearance.

Inang Soledad and Amang Gaspar were terribly affected, too. The old woman cried bitterly and endlessly. Everyday, the remorse would just never leave her even in dreams, blaming herself for the pain they all caused during her growing years.

Then, there was Pastor Romano, Denise' father. Even he appeared calm and strong, Mr. Aragon could sense that the minister was disturbed. He could sense, he was suspicious of him. Only, the minister was man enough to keep his doubts without evidence.

He had to find Denise, not only for the sake of her daughter, but to erase whatever doubts Pastor Romano had on him. And whatever it would take, he swore Caroline to find Denise...alive or even dead.

Mr. Aragon was now standing on the exact location where Bianca was found. He searched the area again, as he did many times the other day together with his men, with hope of finding Denise. And just like the other day, there was nothing that would give him any clue to plot where Denise could possibly be.

Where are you Denise? Why you just disappeared like that?

Mr. Aragon was about to leave the place when from a distance, he saw a disturbing light. Hope came upon him, thinking about Denise. He followed the light, but it seemed it was moving and leading him to a certain direction. Then, the light started to diminished. He found himself running fast to catch up with the light before it would completeIy disappear.

He was not aware that the light was dragging him in the middle of the woods. He just kept on running in an attempt to follow the light. Then, suddenly, the light stopped. He, too, stopped. Suddenly, the light grew bigger and bigger until it exploded, hurting his eyes, causing him to close them. Few minutes after, when he opened them, the light had vanished already, and he saw himself standing on the edge of a cliff. Below he saw a river. On the other side of the river, an elegant house was standing tall.

From where he stood, he could see a strip of road from the house leading to a village, where another road would lead one to an intersection connecting the opposite highway from where he came from and left his car.

The sun was already setting on the horizon. He walked as fast as he could towards the river before the dark would overtake him and completeIy envelope the ground. When he reached the riverbank, it was almost dark. Looking, he spotted a small bridge and crossed it.

He was grateful amidst the darkness, the stars and the moon were shining brightly, giving light to an already dimmed surroundings, guiding him to see his path going closer to a house that could be Denise' refuge for the past days.

-------

I can't believe we are now on rank #8 in Spiritual. I owe it all to you, dear readers. Through your support, we are now where we are. You inspire me all to regularly update the story until completion. My hearfelt thanks to you all.🤗🤗🤗