Chapter 23: The Heirs

"One who wants to wear the crown, bear it's weight. What type of crown were you trying to wear? Was it wealth, fame or love?" - The Heirs

-------

Father Luis

I led her to the Prayer Garden after we finished our dinner.

"How are you and your dad?" I asked her as we walked past the Groto  of Virgin Mary near the garden's entrance.  From the corner of my eyes, I saw her jaw tightened in dismay.

"I-i don't ...I mean, I didn't recognize it was him."  She looked away  and pretended to be unaffected. But there was an evident hatred in her soft voice.

"He loves you Denise. He did what is best for you."

"How can you say that Uncle, when he lied to me all these years?" She looked straight into my eyes and saw all the pain inside her.

"Why don't you give him a chance to explain everything?"

"Why he did not look after me, after the day I run away? And even until now they are not looking for me." I could not take those accusing eyes that I decided to tell him what I know.

"He called me, when he learned you run away."

"Huh?" She was taken aback with those questioning eyes fixed at me.

"But since I have someone eyeing on you, it was never a problem for all of us  to track  you."

"You mean, this  eye-on-me thing is for real, uncle?"

"Does it sound unbelievable, my child?"

"It's absurd, uncle. Completely insane."

"Remember I told you that what happened to your mom was not an accident? Somebody wants her dead including the child on her womb, that's you, Denise."

"Oh Uncle, maybe you're just  imagining things.  Who could possibly want me dead, when nobody knows that  I exist?"

"My child, listen carefully. There were rumors that my grandfather had fathered a son from his mistress. They say, the child, one day, appeared in the mansion begging for my grandfather's help because the boy's mother was terribly ill.  But since my grandmother  was having a very difficult pregnancy with the twins, my grandfather was so afraid for the possibility of miscarriage if his wife would discover such infidelity. So he drove the boy away.
Few days later, the mother of the boy died, cursing my grandfather down to his descendants, according to rumors." I paused for a while, took a deep breath while Denise with eyes wide open was seemingly impatient for the silent gap.

"Many years passed, that boy was forgotten, until a certain Mr. Arturo Quilaico came and saved the company from bankruptcy.  Few years after, the entire family met an accident, with only the wife, that's my grandmother and her son Carlo, that's my father, survived. It was rumored that Mr. Quilaico was behind the accident to gain complete control in the company. But of course, it was never proven.  Until grandmother died and my father, who was still single then took over the company with Mr. Quilaico still in the picture.

"Then another mysterious death happened when our parents met an accident. Investigation revealed it was an inside job. Some people concluded that it was all happening because the family is under a curse.

Your mom took over the company, afterwards. I was already in the seminary then. It made Mr. Quilaico furious. He threatened the management to withdrew all  his shares unless he would be named as the new President. But the Board was firm to have Linda as the right person for the position notwithstanding, she was the only functional heir other than myself who had waived whatever claims I have in favor of your mom. The next thing we know, Mr. Quilaico withdrew his shares. 

Then your father came in the picture when the company was losing. In two years time, he made it  rise to where it was before.  He succeeded to keep the company under a new name.  It was booming. Until the day your mother died, since then, everything changed.  So much more when the investigation revealed that what happened was not an accident.

The, he came here to surrender everything. He told me, he was receiving threats from the moment he took over in the company. But he was too unmoved by those threats. He had realized those threats were for real when when Linda  was already dead. He put the blame on himself.  It was the reason why he had to take you away from that place and leave everything behind because they are also after you Denise.

Have you not noticed for about three or four years, nobody was watching you closely as compared to the previous years?"

"Are you serious with this Uncle, I mean,  I was being watched in my entire life?"

"Yes. As I said, somebody is after you also. You need protection."

"Then, I don't understand why I have to take over  the company when there are people after me."

"I'm not in the position to explain to you that. Wait until Atty. Cabrajal will explain everything. It has something to do with Mr. Quilaico."

"What?" She asked in disbelief.

"The person behind my parents accident and Linda's death was believed to be the same person. We do not know who he is or they are. If I'm going to choose, I like to rest the case with the dead and would no longer run after him or them. Heaven has its way of serving justice for the victims and punishing the culprit.

But the company is being attacked and the management has been waiting for u to take over. Only it would be earlier as expected."

"What about it I didn't show up? If I didn't run away.  I'm sure this taking-over-the- company thing will be a far off." She gestured her hands in mid air  pointing to nowhere.

"No Denise. If you didn't show up, somebody will come knocking at your door to tell you all these things. It's already plan."

"Huh?" Surprised and irritated she asked,  "And when that is supposed to be?"

"After you turned 18, my  child. You're the rightful heir and... Remember that boy?  He turned to be our uncle... your grandfather for that matter.  He intentionally penetrated the company with a vengeance in his heart."

"Really?" Suddenly, she became interested.  "Was he responsible for those accidents, Uncle?"

"I can't tell. But he was revengeful. He could use some other people to do it by himself. Remember, he is a Santos, Denise. In the absence of any heir, he can claim almost everything."

"But you said, it was just a rumor. What if he's just a fake?"

"No. He looks exactly my grandfather. Besides, he got papers to prove, gramp is his father."

She's silent for a moment. After realizing something, she said without hesitation, "Let him take whatever he wants."

"Are you sure, my child?"

"I am Uncle."

"Do you think your mom would be happy about it?" She didn't answer.

"It's not just about the wealth of the family, Denise. It's about the future of about 300 workers and employees who for many years have been giving their lives to make the family legacy lives on.  It's about their children who can find security and direction in the future if the company continues. Mr. Quilaico doesn't need our money. He's a self-made man. He got everything. All he wants is retribution. To bring all these things to nothing. Make the company dead just like our dead."

"Oh Uncle, I'm sorry but ...?"

"I'm sorry too, if you feel you're being pushed into this. Anyway, the original plan will do to give you enough time to think about it. How's that?"

"Oh thank you Uncle. I surely need that and this, too." Then, she quickly slid her arms around me as I gave her a loving embrace and kissed her good night.