Epilogue

The Present

The hall in the Precious Child Orphanage and Free School is adorned with decorative balloons and flaglets in assorted colors causing the kids to look back as they passed by along in queue going to the cafeteria which was magically transformed into a conference room to house guests, visitors and children for the Silver Foundation Anniversary of the Precious Child Orphanage and Free School.

The children are dressed in different costumes wearing handcrafted crowns on their heads, beaming with childish enthusiasm as some of them are bragging the stars on their crowns. Every child is given stars for the crown depending on the child's performances during the VBS classes.

Now, the room is packed with orphans, children who have been abandoned by their parents, those who are homeless and have been living in the streets for many years, those who runaway for varied reasons, and those who are abused. These are the ones for which the Orphanage lives on...to give them hope and a future.

Caroline, with her husband, is seated in front and one of the expectant audience in the crowd. Next to her husband is Mr. Wilfredo Aragon, her father, who, despite old age, maintains the sporty looks he inherited from his father, Arturo. Cyrill, Caroline's brother - with his wife are also present to grace the occasion.

There is also the presence of some town people, visitors from other places and the "returnees," - the beneficiaries of the orphanage with their adoptive parents, who come to witness the event and the most awaited comeback of the owner and founder of the orphanage who have been away for almost a decade now but whose heart remains in the orphanage.

The music starts to fill the air with so much gladness as the opening salvo, a children's choir, is heard, elevating the soul of anyone who can hear the angelic voices of the kids, singing to the last note, moving the audience to give their thundering applause. Then from the back stage, an old man, emerges after the emcee called his name.

"Praise God! It's good to see you all once again. I can't believe, God has given us 25 years of dedicated service in this institution.

"25 years ago, everything was just a dream. But God is indeed an amazing God. Through our ministry - Give Me a Home Ministry - together with the Freedom Ministry, we become instruments to let the whole world knows that God is our only hope and salvation..." Pastor Denis Romano speaks with so much passion and dynamism despite his old age. He continues serving the Lord even he is already a retired minister and in his early seventies.

"I have already talked at length. But before I sit down, let me say these words to all of you, especially to you little ones. Most of you are waiting for the day when someone will come along to be your Daddy or Mommy, right? But remember, God does not give you the people you want. He gives you the people you need. To help you, to hurt you, to leave you, to love you and to make you the person you are meant to be. In God's perfect time, you will have your new Mommy and Daddy to pick you up. Just trust Him, okay?" Pastor Romano ends his message, walks down from the flatform towards a woman who continues to give him so much to look forward to and helps her come up on stage when her name is summoned over the microphone.

"Ladies and gentlemen, let's welcome our very own Dr. Luisa Denise Romano Salazar on stage, the owner and founder of Precious Child Orphanage!" The emcee exudes with fervor motivating the audience to stand and give their respect to the ascending figure on stage.

"Thank you. It's a great honor to be here once again. It's been years since the last time I visited this Orphanage and I am amazed to see God's hands working in here.

"I'm just so sorry that my husband can't come. But Arthur is extending his greeting from California to all of you here.

"I would like to acknowledge the leadership of Karla Mendez together with the staff, you did a great job here, Karla.

"Many years ago, in this place, stood the ancestral house of my parents, a house that I never come to see. It turned into ashes almost 50 years ago, burying the legacy that my clan, the Santos clan, tried to live on for many years.

"Like you, I grew up without a mother. I have a father but he was not around when I was growing. I thought I was abandoned, uncared and unloved.

"I grew up with so much emptiness in my heart. Until I met Karla and her brother Luigi in this very same place when I was searching meaning for my life. They were adopted children of Lola Pacing, my grandma, but I never knew she was my grandma then.

"In an attempt to trace my maternal ancestry, I learned that they were abandoned, lived in the streets and begged foods in order to survive.

"I could not forget the day when Karla cried begging me to stay. I said to myself, 'After I have found myself, I will comeback for you, Karla and give you home that you deserve.'

"At first it was just a thought. But as the years went by, my dear friend and cousin, Caroline awakened in me the desire for street ministry. She, being a philanthropist like her dad and our grandfather, Arturo, the trait was somehow inherited, so we started making plans even when we were pursuing college life separately.

"I went to US with my father leaving all the things behind here, while Grandpa took over with the help of uncle Fred and his 3 musketeers - only Cyrill is here with us now.

"Years later, I came back and started materializing the concepts I had in my mind. I never thought that home would be this orphanage. Not only a home for Karla and Luigi but home to many kids like you.

"Now, what you can see standing here is no longer the ancestral house of the Santoses. From its ashes, a home is built for the children away from their homes. There are maybe no mommy and daddy here, but we are a family here awaiting for mommy and daddy to come and give you not only a home but a better life in the future.

"And we will stand committed to look for parents you truly deserve."

-------

After the founding anniversary celebration in the orphanage, Denise with her father, visit the Santos' Mausoleum where Gaspar, Soledad and Linda's remains were transferred here many years ago. She puts some flowers, lits candles on their graves and moves to Arturo's grave, where flowers and candle are also offered.

When Arturo died he was buried beside his mother, whose remains was also moved here, giving her eternal peace, breaking the curse that ran in the Santos family from many generations in the past.

Denise is grateful for the memory of Arturo. When he bought the company, few years later, the enemies of the clan were exposed. Everybody was surprised to discover it was Atty. Cabrajal, the family's legal counsel and the senior Cruz, Linda's uncle. They died before justice was even served.

Standing in front of his grave, now, she promises to continue all that he had started. 

"Thank you Grandpa, for all the things you did for me and Papa and for the rest of our ancestors.  Now, I understand the forgotten dream I had in the hospital many years ago. It came back to me before the orphanage was born.  Giving me vision of a wonderful life and dedicate service for the orphans.
Not only that, you gave justice to our dead, you save my life, gave us wealth that we don't deserve, but above all you gave peace in my heart when you and Papa direct me into the right way. Thank you and I miss you."

Denise rests the last set of flowers on Manang Pacing's grave. For a moment, she becomes emotional. The sacrificial, selfless, loving woman who had so much to give and nothing to keep has been her inspiration since the orphanage came in her life.

Now, Denise is surrounded by the memories of the best kind of people who came in her life, they that love her for who she is. The once in a lifetime kind of people who made her what she is now.

Luisa Denise Santos Romano-Salazar
A legacy that lives on...

------
6.28.17