Chapter 29: Locked Door

"Love unlocks doors and opens windows that weren't even there before."
-------

Denise stood up, reached out for the door to look for answer to all  her questionings. There must be somebody in this place who can tell her something  beyond what her memory cannot tell. But when she turned the doorknob, it's locked from the outside.

Frustrated, she walked towards her reflection from a huge mirror standing beside the bed. She almost did not recognize herself. She was looking to an entirely different woman where one could see not only the image of her mom stamped all over her being, but the years of pain and suffering, of betrayal and hatred, all  are unmistakably seen in her eyes revealing the contents of her heart. The cuts and bruises she sustained are nothing compare to the wounds in her heart.  In due time, they can be healed. But she was wondering, where she could find healing for her soul.

With the accident, death had been almost her companion. She was lucky to have lived, only oblivious of the days or possibly weeks that she's been in the unfamiliar room. She could understand it better, if upon gaining her consciousness, she found herself lying in the hospital bed instead.  But it was so strange being surrounded with comfort and luxury evident in the room and yet, she was alone. And where is Bianca? Where is the driver. Are they dead? Oh my God, where am I? I need to go out from this place.

She tried the door again. Banging it and shouting for anyone. Then suddenly, she heard sounds coming from the bedroom window. She run toward it and looked out.   She was happy to see some kids playing​ outside.  Then she called out, but they didn't hear. Somehow, the stained glass window made it hard for those outside to see her.  Looking outside, she discovered that she's in a two storey building  surrounded with what seemed to be a plantation.  Seeing the kids outside, although she failed in her attempt to call their attention, gave her so much hope that she was not being held captive despite the locked door. There must be good reason for it, she convinced herself.

Again, she run towards the door banging it several times, shouting for help.

"Help me out please!" She repeated the same words many times, hoping someone could hear her desperate cry. She could feel her strength was leaving her. Her heartbeats almost unheard. Feeling so weak, she resigned on the floor and uttered a prayer.

"Oh, Lord. I do not know why these things are happening to me. You are maybe punishing me for being an unforgiving child. I don't deserve your mercy, I know. But for once in my life, please show me what to do. Just don't let me die, Lord...please, don't let me die."

Momentarily, she heard footsteps coming. The creaking sounds from the wooden floor was loud enough against the weak pounding of her heart.  She gathered whatever strength left in her, expecting for someone to take pity on her, as she was trying to recover her balance, searching for something to hold, to keep her from falling. Then, the door swang open. Before her very eyes were familiar faces. Were her senses deceiving her?  It could not  be. She must be dreaming. Speechless, she embraced the old woman  while her tears finally gave way, grateful for the woman who hold the key, not only for the door she just unlocked but as well, to her past.

"Shhh...calm down hija. You're safe here. I'm glad you are now conscious. We've been worried about you since the day you had met the accident." Manang Pacing said, as she wiped Denise's tears with her bare hand. Crispin, standing on the door way, carrying with him a tray of food, was watching them  with glee, place the tray on the table and helped his mother summoned Denise back to bed.

"You need to eat. Take  this."  Slowly, Manang Pacing feed her like a small kid. Denise was hungry enough. She could  consume the food at once but it took small delicate bites as she savored the food in her mouth.

"For how long I have been here, Manang?"

"You've been unconscious for three days.  But the doctor said, you'll be fine." She continued  feeding her until Denise said enough.  

"Where is Bianca? What happened to her?"

"Who is Bianca?"

"The girl who was with me in the car?"

"Nobody was with you when the town people saw you lying unconscious  near the bridge few meters away from the wreckage."

"That's impossible. I was with Bianca and her driver. The car was uncontrollable after passing through  a coconut plantation. I was very sure, we ended there...and  I did not see any bridge." She paused, closing her eyes, trying to remember everything.

"It's okay Denise. Don't force yourself to remember anything." She signalled her son to return the food on the table.

Crispin placed the food back on a table, saying,

"From what I heard, there were dead bodies recovered from the scene."

"Oh, my God!" Denise started to cry again. She could still imagine Bianca had become disoriented after sustaining the concussion when the woman's head collided with the car window shield, while at the same time, she had herself, drifting in and out of consciousness and see no hope of survival when she heard an explosion.

"How did you find me?"

"We did not. But Arturo did."

"Who is Arturo?" She was thinking of Arthur Salazar, the good Samaritan at MVU. Would it be possible that they were the same person? 

"You will meet him one of these days.  Right now, you are too weak to handle what lies ahead. If I were you, get some rest first, until you are strong enough to face the coming tomorrow." With that she kissed Denise goobye and was about to leave when Denise grab her hand, asking,

"Where are we Manang?" 

"You are in a safe place, Denise... safer than you ever think," and she kissed her again, walked away, leaving the door unlocked.