Chapter 10: Testimony

"When God steps in miracles happen."

-------

Everybody was expectant as Denis Romano was introduced that evening during the devotional in the McKinsey Hall as part of the Testimonial Dinner Program arranged by Mr. & Mrs. Anthony Peterson, a missionary couple of the Share Ministry. Dressed in a dark blue suit with a fresh hair cut and newly shaved face, Denis looked like one of the dignitaries in that occasion. But indeed, he was the reason for that gathering, a special guest of honor who was redeemed by the precious blood of the Savior in a very unconventional way. His unbelievable conversion was a testimony that everybody longed to hear.

The hall was packed with workers from the Mission fields, eagerly awaiting for the man of the hour. Thundering applause was heard when his name was called by Mr. Peterson to make a stand and give his most awaited testimony.

"Thank you very much brothers and sisters for this warm welcome. I did not expect, there are group of people who consider me their equal when in reality, I am just a nobody, an ex-convict, and a criminal in the eyes of many, one that deserves to be condemned the punishment of death without mercy. And yet, God showed me mercy, forgiveness, and His unconditional love." His voice was soft but firm. The audience was obviously receptive.

"I came in this strange land ten years ago to look for myself, because I was lost and empty. It all started when my wife died at a very young age and when life for us was just starting. An angry flame that consumed our house and left its remains to ashes with all the memories her clan treasured for many generations, changed everything, including the future for us. She sustained burns, suffocated and was dying, pregnant with our first child. She was immediately subjected for untimely operation to save the baby who was only seven months then, or else both of them would die." A hush descended in the midst of the gathering and the audience, cast a sympathizing look at him.

"My wife belonged to a wealthy and propertied family. I could live in abundance inheriting all the things she had left behind but I did not crave for her wealth knowing  it's the reason why she died  and the very reason why I took my child away from its threatening danger.  Her relatives were interested of this wealth. I only secured a decent share for what my daughter truly deserved." A growing admiration was felt as Denis continued to unfold his life's story.

"My daughter was only seven years old when I left the country, begging me to stay. But I could not stand everyday of my life living with the painful memories every time my daughter would remind me of my wife. But what was hardest and most painful was to continue living, while my daughter watches his father becoming wretched each day. I did not want her to see me existing but not living. Somehow, I need to leave in order for her to be safe and continue living. I need to go, so that she could come up with a better life in an environment away from her father's drunkenness and uselessness...away from the sight of a wasted and despicable life. It was so selfish of me...so coward...so miserable, because I could not go on living without my wife. I constantly blamed myself for her death." There was so much emotions in his voice, but his pain was nowhere else. He was indeed now a strong man.

"I love my daughter too much... That I didn't not want those little pieces of hope remaining in her young life would be forever dragged up in my own mess. I was helpless. One wasted life is enough, but never her life. I fabricated lies to convince her that I should go and look for money, when money was not the problem. I used people to act on purpose just so to persuade her that I needed to go to avoid imprisonment that was never true. Promising her that I would come back for her, when I, myself was skeptical if I could ever come back to myself...."

"This man was incredible," whispered by someone whose admiration he could not contain to himself and shared to the person sitting next to him. He was hushed by his wife who seemed distracted with his remarks.

"Through the help of a friend, I came here. Got a job, and lost it, because everyday, I was drunk. Until one day, I decided to end my life. When I was about to pull the trigger to shoot myself, suddenly my friend appeared, snatching the gun away from me. We wrestled until..." He paused and closed his eyes as traces of disbelief were seen in his face.

"Until a shot was heard...then he collapsed on the floor...blood around him. I rushed him in the hospital. The next thing I know, I surrendered myself to the police. Few hours after, I learned, he did not make it. I killed him. I was so guilty. How I wished I was the one who died when the trigger was pulled accidentally during the struggle...not an innocent friend who was just trying to save me. I was so desperate to die. But death never came easy." There was harshness in his voice while his words were fading slowly towards the end, almost unheard. A lady approached him and offered a glass of water. He thanked her, gulped the drink immediately and continued,

"Then, I was accused by his family with homicide. Although, day and night my guilty conscience was haunting me, I would still prefer being dead than spend my meaningless life in a prison house. So, I decided to take my life the second time by hanging myself in the comfort room. But then, obviously I did not die." His last sentence invited giggles from the audience.

"After few months of trial, I was convicted for 20 years of imprisonment. I dreaded the thought of living there that long. Death is acceptable to me than living without a purpose in that horrible place. So again, I tried to kill myself while in there, but it was also a failure. You would not believe that everyday I would find ways to kill myself, but to no avail. I was the most pitiable creature that lived, because even in suicide I was useless." He giggled sending chuckles to the listeners, too.

"Until they incarcerated me, placing my hands and feet on chain, that I may not harm myself further...While I was locked up for few days and losing my strength, I was happy knowing, I would die sooner to be with my wife. In one of those days, I saw my wife accompanied by an angel...I dismissed the idea that it was real, that I was only hallucinating, since I was without food and water for few days already. But when she touched me, her warm hands were so real and alive. She was not speaking nor moving her lips, but I heard her saying, " I love you, honey. Please come home, our baby is waiting for you." Few moments later, she disappeared, but the angel stayed and fed me.

"I was not a praying man, but when I saw my wife with those pleading eyes, the desire to live and be free was suddenly awakened inside of me. Then, I found myself asking God to grant me things that I almost gave up - life and freedom - not for myself but for my daughter." A woman sitting in front of him was caught wiping her tears, then sneezed carefully, while mostly were teary-eyed already.

"The next day, the angel appeared once more and fed me anew with food I could not describe. Everyday during my incarceration, the angel would appear to feed me until I regained my strength.

"After two weeks, I was released from that solitary detention, where everyone in the prison house, was expecting for my funeral. They were surprised to see me alive and "glowing". According to one of the guards who released me, he saw my face shining with a radiance he could not describe."

-------
42616