Chapter 27: Suspicion

"I've learned that it takes years to build up trust, and it only takes suspicion, not proof, to destroy it."
-------

Lexus looked deserted when Caroline arrived earlier than expected. She went straight to Cottage 8 but unfortunately, it was already occupied by two men who obviously were waiting for someone to join their company - a lover or a friend - no one could ever tell. They looked and smiled at her when she made her way at the adjoining cottage beside a dried pond. 

Back in high school, Lexus was their favorite hang out every time they wanted to listen to a live band whose vocalist was known for his cute amazing dimples. The place was commonly patronized by college students, since it was in the heart of university belt. Many college students would come here as couple or foursome during week ends and stayed until the band would sing their last song.

But what Caroline loved most in this place was the grilled chicken dipped in pepper and garlic sauce served in a native plating with banana leaves  and a special homemade atsara, the Lexus' pride, with its distinct and delicious mixtures and secret ingredients. When asked by customers what made it special, the staff would just say, "it's because of the wine." And nobody would believe them, except Caroline. Denise, on the other hand, loved their brewed coffee  and a rice dish with sweet spicy beef toppings.  The same menu she ordered and to be served only when Denise had arrived.

Caroline looked around and noticed people were starting to come filling the empty cottages. She would search for Denise every time unfamiliar faces were greeted  and lead by the staff to the open cottages of their choice. She glanced at her watch and discovered the time was past 7 in the evening. Any minute Denise would appear. She was wondering how her friend looked like after two months of not seeing each other and she became conscious of her own looks for losing some weight. What if she looked horrible and skinny? What if Denise could not recognize her? What if she had come, and walked away, thinking she's not been around? She dismissed those thoughts and entertained herself by listening to the band whose vocalist was no longer that cute guy with amazing dimples back in high school.  She was tempted to ask from the staff where the cute guy was. But her curiosity was answered when she overheard somebody that the dimple-man went to Japan as entertainer. Many girls would miss him for sure, including Caroline.

Glancing back at her watch,  it showed 10 minutes past 8. Caroline started to feel uncomfortable sitting alone for more than an hour in an almost empty cottage. The pang in her stomach was nothing compared to the alarming feeling she could not deny. She remembered her Dad saying las night, 

"Denise is not an ordinary girl as we see her. She is the only heir to a great fortune her mom inherited from her parents."  Oh my God, what if she's been kidnapped for a ransom?  Caroline thought.

Caroline closed her eyes and silently prayed over the safety of her friend. Why it did not occur to her earlier the danger of exposing Denise in such a meeting like this?

Caroline felt helpless as she walked towards the counter and asked the lady if she could use the phone. The lady nodded without noticing Caroline' hands were trembling as she dialled numbers.

"H-hello, D-dad." She said softly and almost crying.

"Princess? Are you okay? What happened?" Mr. Aragon sensed right away that somehow something went wrong.

"D-Dad, s-she d-did n-not s-show u-up." Her trembling voice could not hide the intense emotion she's trying to control in the midst of so many people. 

"What? Are you sure she's not around?"

"Y-yes D-dad. W-what i-if ...?"

"Sweetie, hold on. I want you to stay calm. Daddy is coming for you and we'll figure things out. For the meantime, I want you  take your meds and be calm,okay? Did you take them with you?"

"Y-yes D-dad. D-don't w-worry, I'm f-fine s-so f-far." She placed the receiver and stared blankly to nowhere. 

"Are you okay, miss?" Finally, the lady at the counter noticed her.

"C-can I h-have a g-glass of w-water, p-please?" Pale and trembling, she reached out for the medicine from her purse. The lady at the counter signalled to one of the waiters for some assistance as she handed a glass of water to Caroline. Few minutes later, she's back to normal. Accompanied by   the waiter who assisted her,  she decided to return to the cottage to wait for her Dad and requested the waiter to serve the food, instructing him further to usher her Dad upon arrival.

Mr. Aragon came along with Carlo and they were ushered by the waiter to where Caroline was.  She was delighted to see her Dad approaching, relieved that finally,  she's  secured again in the midst of uncertainties and unimaginable events happening to them.

Caroline was already home, sedated and being accompanied by Yaya Becky even in her sleep, completeIy unaware of what's happening the entire evening.

At Mr. Aragon's office, everyone was busy. It was discovered that Denise left the university at around 4 in the afternoon and was seen riding a private vehicle  based on the information gathered by Carlo when he called the university guard stationed that afternoon.

Pastor Romano, also present in the office, was earlier notified about this matter to gather information from the security team assigned to keep watch over her daughter. Unfortunately, those keeping an eye to Denise were found dead prior to her disappearance. The police forces were also mobilized to search and investigate this sudden incident.

Somehow, Pastor Romano could not believe things were falling apart.  Nobody knew who Denise was until recently, he revealed everything to Mr. Aragon. From the corner of his eyes, he looked suspiciously at him across the room. Silently, he asked God's forgiveness, and sufficient grace to trust the man for only Him could judge the motive in every heart.