NovaTale

By Captain_Backfire

(Sans x Frisk with a whole lot of drama, action, bromance and comedy with a splash of awesome. ^^) NovaTale i... More

Chapter 1 - Alone
Chapter 2 - Voices
Chapter 3 - Fix You
Chapter 4- Help Me Understand
Chapter 6- You'll Be The Death Of Me
Chapter 7- Through The Darkness
Chapter 8 - Before The Fall
Chapter 9- Control
Chapter 10- The Unraveling
The Unraveling Part 2
The Unraveling Part 3
The Unraveling Part 4
The Unraveling (Final Segment) Part 5
Chapter 11- Where Do We Go From Here
Chapter 12- Like Sands Through An Hour Glass
Chapter 13- The Forgotten
Chapter 14- Death Of A Dream
Chapter 15- Shattered Memories
Chapter 16- Lost Souls
Chapter 17 - The Inevitable
Chapter 18- Riddle Me This...
Chapter 19 - Along Ran A Spider....
Chapter 20 - The Found....
Chapter 21 - Part 1: The Truth Within The Lies

Chapter 5- Trust Abides

1.6K 93 252
By Captain_Backfire

((This chapter brings a smile to my face, as I'm a huge fan of Sans x Frisk, and just as much as everyone else, I cannot wait to have this whole story unfold. I love each and every one of you for the love and support for this story. It's almost overwhelming and it literally makes my heart smile. <3 I can't say thank you enough because there are no words.

Again, I love being bugged. Leave comments! Tell me how I'm doing! <3

Theme for this chapter:

Song: Fix You (cover by Secondhand Serenade, whom I adore fyi. XD)

I've already said the artist. Lol.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKFkIQNjvGQ

And as always, I hope you enjoy.))

Frisk sat atop the edge of her bed, turning her head back to look at her pillow. She couldn't deny it. She wanted to see him again..... She needed to know why. Why had he let her through? And why had he simply walked away from her when she'd called out to him. The urge was almost overwhelming. The questions were too many, and the answers too few. The only thing she did know for certain is that she couldn't wait to get back. Like some sort of compulsion, drawing her toward the warmth the blankets would provide

.... and the wonders that waited for her within her dreams. Maybe if she went early tonight, she could stay longer? To hell with the fact that it was only 7 p.m. Who was there to tell her when she could and couldn't go to sleep? That, and she had the next day off, so she'd be able to sleep for as long as her body... and mind, would allow.

"Dammit, Sans." she scoffed and clambered across the bed and wriggled into the blankets. The dark was so serene....

.... For now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sans stood in front of the cabinet within the kitchen he and Papyrus shared, honey in his hand as he squeezed the bottle over his mouth. The thick, warm liquid trailed it's way past his teeth and glided over his tongue ever so smoothly. While he did so, he pondered the happenings of the day prior. The way she'd looked at him, he'd known right there that he couldn't stay, no matter how much he'd wanted to. If he'd allowed himself any more time with her, he might have slipped and let his guard down.... and then what? Would she stab him in the back? Sans wanted to believe it wasn't true, but too many timelines of genocide said otherwise. Why would she be any different?

.....But she was different, and somehow within his soul, he knew it.

While drowning in his thoughts, Sans realized he'd also been drowning in honey, looking now at the empty bottle with a scowl. Why was this girl on his mind so much now? It was all he seemed to think about anymore.

"SANS? YO, HOMEY? WHERE ARE YOU AT TODAY?"

Papyrus waved a hand in front of Sans' face in an attempt to get his attention.

"Sorry, Pap. Just lost in thought, I 'spose."

Papyrus, as always, wasn't convinced. He cocked his head off to one side and pierced Sans with an inquisitive stare. "WHAT'CHA THINKING ABOUT, BRO? SEEMS TO ME LIKE THAT'S ALL YOU'VE BEEN DOING LATELY." He couldn't tell Papyrus. Honestly, he couldn't tell anyone. Nobody would, or could, understand. What would he even say? 'Yeah, Pap. Humans have come and gone down here and killed us all, picking us off one by one like cherries from a tree.' Papyrus would only look at him like he was going crazy. No.... he'd do what he always did. Lie through his teeth. Literally. (Heh.)

"Eh, you know. The usual. Honey, chillin'.... more honey, when I'm gonna have to go out and get more honey. Nothin' special." Again, Papyrus still wasn't convinced. "YOU'RE STARING INTO A CABINET STOCKED FULL OF HONEY AND YOU'RE THINKIN' ABOUT WHEN AND WHERE YOU'RE GONNA GET MORE?" He shook his head. "I HATE HAVING THE FEELING THAT YOU'RE LYING TO ME, SANS.... BUT I GUESS I AIN'T GOT NO CHOICE BUT TO BELIEVE YOU..." Papyrus then paused. "WAIT! IS THERE A GIIIIRL YOU AIN'T TELLING ME ABOUT?" He drawled out 'girl' like it was the most important word in the dictionary. Sans snapped to attention. "Hell naw. There ain't no girl! Why the hell would I be thinkin' about a girl?!" His quick and not so convincing response made Papyrus smile wider... if that was even possible. "C'MON, SANS! I'M YOUR BRO! YOU CAN TELL ME! WHO IS SHE? DOES SHE HAVE HAIR? ARE THERE ANY HORNS? OR MAYBE SCALES OR SPIKES..... OH, MAYBE SHE'S GOT TATTS ALL OVER HER BODY! THAT WOULD BE THE SHIZ!"

"Dammit, Pap! It ain't even like that! She's-...." Sans cut himself short. How was he going to talk himself out of that little slip? Nervously, he grabbed another bottle of honey and stuffed it in his pocket, hurriedly walking around Papyrus to give a view of his back.

"HOLY SHIT! THERE IS A GIRL!! WHO IS SHE?!"

"Lay off, Pap. I told you, there ain't no girl and I ain't talking about this shit anymore." he practically snarled.

Papyrus giggled like a schoolgirl. "YOU SHOULDN'T KEEP STUFF LIKE THIS TO YOURSELF, SANS! I NEED TO MEET THIS GIRL THAT OBVIOUSLY HAS YOU SO ENAMORED!" Sans slammed a bony hand on the edge of the counter top. "What the fuck, Pap! How many times do I gotta say it. There AIN'T. NO. GIRL!" He heavily emphasized at the end, hoping to drill it into Papyrus' head, but his brother was already too far gone in the wanderings of his imagination with this newly discovered information. "I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! MY BROTHER'S IN LOVE! I'VE GOTTA TELL UNDYNE THE GOOD NEWS!"

"Papyrus, no!" But he was already running around Sans at full speed, looking like Superman ready to take flight as he busted through the front window. If Sans had a dollar for every time he'd had to replace that window, he'd be a rich Skeleton. Using his magic, piece by piece, he placed each broken shard back in it's proper place. What the hell was he going to do now? Just that little slip of the tongue and now Papyrus was convinced he was in love. Sans scoffed. Him? In love.... with the Human? There was now way he'd ever get close enough to that Human, or any for that matter, to even entertain such a notion. The scoff turned into a snort. In love with the Human. How ludicrous.

Sans spent the better portion of five minutes internally convincing himself he wanted nothing to do with the Human woman he'd now regrettably allowed full blown access to the entire Underground. Telling himself in any and every way possible that hell would freeze over before he'd ever even care about her, let alone love her.

Then he chided himself, however. Why was he even giving her enough power over him that he was now standing here like a fool, swallowed in thoughts of her.... regardless of the reasons. He needed to get her off of his mind completely before she came back so he could ensure he'd have the will to walk away like he had the day before. Luckily, it was still far too early for her to be here anyhow. He'd have plenty of time to mend this window, find some excuse to usher Papyrus out of Snowdin and get back to keep an eye on her when she finally did show up.

Little did he know.....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frisk smiled at the familiar glow that shimmered with what looked like a million tiny flecks of golden glitter. It slowly dimmed before fading away entirely to leave her looking at the Save Star. She'd given up the thought long ago of even wanting to restart. Not that she had the ability anymore, but she'd almost been thankful to the voice for destroying it. If she'd reset at any point before, none of what she'd experienced so far would have come to pass, and this mysterious place intrigued her beyond measure.

'Sans' intrigued her, and the Determination within her was like a driving force, pushing her ever closer each night to chipping away at his defenses. She'd befriend him yet, and when she did, whatever secrets he was hiding behind that made him so angry and bitter, she'd help fix them. Fix him....

He couldn't keep running from her forever, after all....

"I forgot how cold it was here..." she said with a shiver. From where she stood now, up in the far off distance, Frisk managed to see what appeared to be buildings. A town?! She smiled and sighed audibly while walking toward it, humming to herself as she did so to try and distract herself from the sheer frigidity of her surroundings. Also up ahead was a form of some sort.... A skeletal form, but it didn't look like Sans. He wore much different clothing. The closer she came, Frisk was able to make out his attire much clearer. A bandanna, dark gray, tied off in the front like 2Pac used to wear. On his upper torso, he wore what would normally be considered a belly shirt by most, but it was oddly something similar to.... yes. It was like a basketball jersey, light blue and stopping just at the bottom of his rib cage to expose his spine. He wore extremely baggy dark gray sweatpants, sagging slightly at his hip bones. One pant leg was rolled up, kind of like LL Cool J used to wear, she remembered. It brought a snicker forth from her lips, stifling it quickly so he didn't hear her. He was like a walking epitome of every ghetto cliche' all rolled into one, with the long gold chain that hung around his neck adorned by a huge golden dollar sign to boot. She also could have sworn he was wearing blue suede Timberland boots, which then made her snort as the Elvis song came to mind. Who wore Blue Suede Shoes anymore?

..... apparently this guy.

When he turned, she chuckled even louder as the words "Thug Love" were visibly seen on the front of the jersey. He was on the phone, pacing in front of a long sign that read "Welcome to Snowdin" while talking excitedly. Frisk could tell only because of his body language and how animatedly his free hand was flailing about. When he hung up the phone, Frisk decided now would be as good a time as any to introduce herself. Drawing ever closer, she overheard him say "AW YEAH. I'M THE GREAZY PAPEAZY AND HELPING FAM IS A BREAZY!"

Holding in her laughter, it rattled through her body making Frisk appear to vibrate. Wanting to make a good first impression, she added "Hey, I'm Frisk from above, and I greet you with love!" It was cheesy as hell, but it wasn't any different than the hilarious things he'd been saying. The Skeleton jumped, turning around with an enormous smile. "AW, SNAP! YOU GOT RHYMES TOO?!" and before she could blink, Frisk was being wrapped in a giant, bony hug. Stiff at first, she quickly relented and hugged him back with a laugh. "FRISK, EH? WELL, I'M THE INFAMOUSLY BAD ASS MASTER OF SPITTIN' FLOWS, CHEF EXTRAORDINAIRE AND SOON TO BE THE GREATEST ADDITION EVER TO THE ROYAL LEAGUE OF ASSASSINS, BUT YOU CAN CALL ME PAPYRUS!"

It was evident that he either didn't recognize that she was a human, or he was much more trusting and understanding than Sans had been. Frisk smiled brightly. This place was just full of surprises! "SO, FRISK! DO YOU ENJOY SPAGHETTI?" Frisk nodded avidly. "I do! I make it all the time!" Papyrus' fist pumped. "WE HAVE SO MUCH IN COMMON! YOU GOTTA TASTE MY UNDERGROUND FAMOUS GOURMET SPAGHETTI! IT'S GONNA ROCK YOUR SOCKS OFF!" Once again, Frisk found herself laughing with delight. "That sounds awesome, Papyrus. Do you think we could get out of this cold though? I'm about to become a hu-..." she cut herself short and hurriedly corrected herself.. "..huge Popsicle." With a heaving exhalation, being afraid to tell anyone she was human, Frisk followed Papyrus who'd nodded and was already walking. "WE CAN CHILL AT MY CRIB. I'VE GOT THIS KARAOKE MACHINE THAT'S THE BOMB DIGGITY FOR PRACTICING MY CRAZY RAP SKILLS."

Frisk covered her mouth to stifle her laughter, cleared her throat and righted her posture. "That sounds like so much fun, Papyrus! Do you live far?" Her stomach began to rumble. "And some of that spaghetti sounds so good right n-..."

The air was ripped from Frisk's lungs as the familiar agony of bones being slammed through her body lanced it's way throughout every pain sensory within her. She could faintly hear Papyrus' voice, but the words were garbled and too far away to understand. Once again, the world faded into darkness.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sans ran over toward the disappearing form of the human with Papyrus in complete and utter shock. "SANS!?! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU? YOU... YOU MURDERED FRISK! WHY?!" he then looked down to find that her body had already seemingly dissolved into dust that was whisked away by the breeze. "PAPYRUS, are you INSANE?! What the fuck were you thinking walking with that Human?! She could have...." he broke off.

"WAIT... HUMAN? FRISK WAS A HUMAN?! BUT SHE WAS SO.... FRIENDLY! HELL NAH, SANS. YOU GOTTA BE WRONG. HUMANS ARE SHITTY AND MURDEROUS. FRISK WASN'T NOTHIN' LIKE THAT."

"Pap, I'm tellin' ya. That... Frisk... is a Human, and I don't trust her ass as far as I can throw her." he smirked. "Which is apparently pretty damn far by where she landed." The smirk soon fell when Papyrus didn't share his feelings on the matter. "WELL, NOW SHE'S DEAD. I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU WOULD DO SOMETHIN' SO HORRIBLE! THAT.... THAT WAS BOGUS AS HELL, SANS, AND.... I'M GOIN' HOME." Sans opened his mouth to speak, but Papyrus had already started walking away from him, a somber feeling throbbing with the headache that had begun forming. How could he explain that the Human wasn't really dead? It wouldn't make any sense to Pap... but one thing was certain. Whenever Sans did something that disappointed his brother, it would eat at him from the inside out like cancer.

He couldn't trust the Human.... Frisk... with his brother. Papyrus didn't understand.... and now, tears stung his sockets. Nobody would ever understand......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Within the void, Frisk rubbed her rib cage and her stomach, still feeling the now phantom pains from where the bones had previously been.

"See? You think he'll ever show you mercy?" the voice snickered wickedly. "You're only fooling yourself."

"Has anyone ever told you that listening to you talk is about as fun as someone running nails over a chalkboard?"

The voice scoffed. "At least I've got enough common sense to see all that your dumb ass is apparently blind to. But don't worry. You won't be blind for long, and you'll be begging for my help. Trust me."

Frisk wanted to respond, but the voice was cutting her off as her head became fuzzy and the next thing she knew, she was staring up at her ceiling. A fist balled until her knuckles were white and she lifted it, only to slam it back down to the bed several times over. "What the fuck did I do wrong?! He just killed me for no reason! Again! I swear, the next time I see that Skeleton, he's gonna get a mouthful before he even THINKS about killing me again." Well.... she assumed he'd kill her again. It seemed to be the norm now. If he wasn't slamming bones through her chest and abdomen, he was leaving her hanging with a shitload of unanswered questions. Now who was the evil, murderous one. Frisk groaned.

Tonight would be different..... had to be different. She'd find some way to make sure of it......

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.6K 479 13
~~~ [COMPLETE] After being set free from Frisk, Chara finds herself shoved into a new life that she didn't ask for. She's cold and distant for days...
311 13 29
The story of a human and monster. A story no one well forget. A journey where two friend go and a new start begins. Ps : Some of the characters are f...
358K 14.8K 51
Almost four years marking the anniversary of monster kind reaching the surface, the human ambassador Frisk goes missing. Severing the link between th...
110K 2K 26
The punny skeleton of your dreams awaits you in many scenarios.