The Enforcer's Daughter

Skylinger

Tori likes her life. Being told by her father's Alpha she's being sent to represent their clan as a potential... Еще

Tell me this is a Joke
No one is happy
Unwanted Dinner
Not Safe After All
Pool Party
She's Mine
Stipulations and Concern
Not the typical first date
Blood of the Enforcer
Training Begins
Breaking Point
Very Sore
Unexpected Visitor
Viscount Cain
Dinner with the Enemy
Intervention and a Decision
A gift for Tori
A Party to Remember
Journey to the King
Past Love
Frustration in the air
Enlightened by Ken
The Tribunal
A Courting we shall go
The Bridge
Repercussions and Restitution
Wedding Plans
Keeping Quiet
The Wedding

Not knowing

25.2K 629 22
Skylinger

Chapter 15

(Not knowing)

It was late as River sat out by the lake on the pool table. Thoughts of Tori filled his mind. River had liked many girls through the years but none had ever had the effect on him that Warner’s daughter did.

“What am I going to do?” River asked with a heavy heart.

“The only think you can do.” The blue eyed man was more than a little surprised to hear Drew’s voice. He was even more surprised as he looked back to see not only Drew but Hunter, Dustin and Harper as well. “You fight for her,” Drew told him.

“God knows I’m willing,” River replied. He watched as his friends climbed up on the table except for Harper who took a seat on his normal Boulder by the tree to the front right side of the table.

“Have you learned anything new?” Hunter inquired.

“You mean besides Salazar planning to get Armand close to Tori?” The light Brunette spat.

“Fuck,” Harper swore. “I’d say it won’t happen but Cain and Salazar are closer than they should be.”

“Did your dad contact Adler?” Dustin inquired.

“Yeah. I think Adler wants to wait to see how things look once the hearing has taken place. If Cain does anything that favors Salazar too much he’ll step in. He’s sending someone anonymous to witness. We won’t even know who it is.”

“Warner is with her though right?” Drew said. Seeing River nod he said, “Warner won’t let anything happen to her. You know that.”

“I know he’ll do everything possible,” River agreed. “Still Cain is the Viscount. Even Warner can’t stop some things.”

“Yeah well I’m not so sure he won’t kill someone if they try anything with his daughter,” Harper commented. “He’s very protective of her.”

“I know.” The group watched as their friend hung his head sadly.

Drew put a hand on his best friend’s shoulder. While guys don’t normally show affection like women do, when things get bad they can be just as supportive of their friends.

The guys almost jumped as Rivers phone abruptly went off. River pulled it out and looked at the caller ID. “It’s Warner.” Quickly he turned it on. “How is Tori?”

“She’s holding up,” Warner told him. “You’re father will be receiving a phone call from Cain in the morning. You’ll be able to see Tori tomorrow night.”

Hope flooded through River’s body. “I am? How? I thought no contact was permitted?”

“Normally no, but Cain didn’t know Tori had an altercation with some of Salazar’s men. If he allows Salazar around her he has to let you as well. He’s not happy I’m here at all.”

“This is good for us right?” The blue eyed man inquired.

“Yes and No. He’s trying to keep Adler from becoming involved. Cain didn’t say it but I can tell. He has to do something questionable or we’re going to be stuck with whatever Cain rules. Unless Adler can find a way to simply show up with a valid concern to oversee the arguments himself.”

“I think Adler’s waiting for him to as you said make a questionable decision.”

“Yeah well if he doesn’t call your father and allows Salazar here tomorrow night for dinner as it is currently planned then Adler will have his reason. I gotta go. I can’t pass messages as you know but from looking at her, she misses you.” Warner hung up.

“River?” Drew questioned.

“Cain is hosting a dinner tomorrow. Salazar is supposed to be there. Warner says if my father isn’t contacted then Adler has the ability to get involved,” River told his friends. “He thinks he will because Warner doesn’t think he wants Adler involved.”

“To think a month ago we were all pissed we had to get married,” Harper said. “You two aren’t even married yet and you already have issues.” The man cringed as everyone glared at him. “I take it no ones in the mood for a smart ass remark?”

“Harper…” Dustin began.

“No need to tell me twice, I’ll shut up.”

“That would be a good idea,” Hunter announced. Looking at the Lord’s son he said, “I know you need to let your father know about this. If there’s anything we can do let us know.”

“I appreciate it,” River said. With a glance at Drew he walked away and headed back to his father’s mansion.

**

Tori sat in the window seat starring out at the night sky. Dinner had been tense to say the least. There were more than a few times Warner had tapped her leg under the table so she wouldn’t snap at the Viscount. Any doubt Cain might not be close to Salazar was erased. Cain had even had the audacity to ask her wouldn’t it be nice to see Lord Salazar again. She’d given a quick ‘I’d rather not.’ Neither man had liked her answer but she didn’t care.

“You need to get some sleep,” Warner said from the couch within her bedroom. The Viscount had provided a room for Warner but the enforcer had politely but firmly declined. He’d sleep on the couch so no one got near his daughter when they shouldn’t.

“How can I?” The blonde woman asked. “That Jerk thinks Salazar is great.” Tori almost choked on the word great.

“I know,” He said and getting up walked over to his daughter. Taking her hands in his he said, “First chance Adler will be here.”

Tori frowned and looked down. “Cain has to do something questionable. In case you haven’t noticed he’s been very careful around you.”

“Yes but I look for him to make a mistake while River and Salazar are here.”

The green eyed girl’s head shot up. “River is coming here?”

“If Cain doesn’t invite him when he has invited Salazar then he gives Adler the right to step in. You had an altercation with Salazar’s men,” Warner said pleased. “Cain didn’t know about that part when he agreed to take possession of you and make a ruling about the contract.”

Tori smiled pleased. “Wait couldn’t he just not let either around me?”

“Yes but I tend to think he’ll be allowing both,” Warner said with confidence. “Otherwise he’ll be dealing with Adler and he doesn’t want that. As it stands Adler may already have motive to step in depending on what Salazar has been allowed to get away with.”

“Will Adler help us though?”

“Lord Gregory is a good Lord. Salazar has done many questionable things in the past,” Warner began. “Adler will be fair. He is more likely to listen to Gregory because of his record. They do have a good relationship and Cain has made a few questionable decisions. Adler can’t just throw it out but he can overrule Cain if it’s warranted.”

Tori nodded. She wasn’t thoroughly convinced but it did give her a little more hope. “Come on Honey time for bed.”

“Daddy will you stay with me?” Tori asked.

Warner smiled at his daughter with understanding. “Sure,” He told her. When Tori was little, it had always been Warner that had been able to comfort her.Most kids that have a nightmare want their mother; even Tori’s brother would want their mother. Tori on the other hand always wanted her father. It wasn’t the blonde woman wasn’t close to her mother, she was. Tori just had a very special bond with her father.

Tori lay down on the bed on her back and Warner lay next to her on his left side. Gently he stroked his daughter’s hair soothingly like he had so many times when she was a little girl. Whenever he’d had to go away for a while on pack business he’d always come home to find her asleep on the stairs waiting for him.

Warner would pick her up and carry her up to bed. Then he’d lay with her just like this and stroke her hair. She’d always wake up and this was how he’d put her to sleep.

The enforcer watched as his daughter finally succumbed to sleep and smiled lovingly down on her sleeping face. “I’ll do whatever I have to, to make sure you’re happy,” He promised the sleeping girl. Deep down in his soul he knew it was true.

**

Viscount Cain stood quietly contemplating on his private balcony overlooking the pool and tropical garden that surrounded it.

Things were not looking good. He’d have to be far more careful with how he handled things now. When Tori was just a strong random girl that had peaked Salazar’s interest it wasn’t a big deal. Cain knew Salazar hated Gregory and had never interfered with his friend’s aggressive moves against the Marks family. His plan was to hold a mock hearing and rule the contract dissolved and allow Salazar to let his son or anyone else a chance to court the girl; end of story.

The dark haired man stood with crossed arms wondering what he was going to do now. Tori wasn’t just some random girl she was an enforcer’s daughter and Warner’s at that. Cain sighed. “Why the hell did she have to be Warner Rhodes daughter?!” He said angrily.

The Viscount’s own guards were wary of the girl’s father. Malcolm had even begun his training with Warner but hadn’t been able to handle Warner’s demanding nature. He’d ultimately trained with someone else. Malcolm was still very good but even Cain knew Warner was better.

“Cain?”

The Viscount turned to see the brunette man with a mullet. “Are they asleep Danny?”

“Yes but Warner sleeps to light to enter the room,” Danny replied. “He’ll be on full alert with everything going on.”

Cain nodded. “I shouldn’t have been so quick to agree to take the girl,” He said chastising himself.

“What are you going to do?” Danny questioned.

“Salazar still wants me to host a dinner even if it means inviting Gregory and River.”

“That won’t give Armand time alone with the girl,” Malcolm commented from the doorway.

“I could arrange it but then I’d have to give River the same opportunity. If I don’t and Gregory finds out Adler could be brought into this. I don’t need that,” The shoulder length haired man said silently cursing what was happening.

“Adler could agree with you,” Harold offered.

Cain glared at the red haired man standing next to Malcolm. “If Adler decides to snoop he could find out how much I’ve allowed Salazar to get away with where Gregory is concerned.”

“True but If Adler get’s involved couldn’t you contact Landon?” Malcolm suggested.

“Yes but there is no guarantee he would side with me,” The Viscount said and rubbed a frustrated hand through his dark hair. “If Adler does get involved, though, I won’t have a choice. If nothing else the King’s presence should stop Adler from being able to snoop about me.”

“Are you going to hold the dinner?” Danny inquired.

Cain was silent for a moment. He weighed the pros and cons before saying, “Yes. I’ll invite everyone. I need to see how Tori interacts with River and Armand.”

“They walked out of her work hand in hand,” Harold informed the Viscount. “The girl may not have wanted to get married in the first place but she seems okay with it now.”

Cain growled in frustration. “If she’s grown attached is where we’ll have the problem. If I rule for Salazar if River and Tori have become attached than you can be sure Gregory will contact Adler.”

The Viscount fell silent for a few minutes making a final decision in his head. “I’ll call Gregory now. See to it all guards are on alert for tomorrow. I expect it will be tense.” Cain walked back inside to phone Gregory.

“I hate normal formal dinners, never mind tense ones,” Harold grumbled. The two enforcers didn’t comment but silently agreed with him. The Viscounts dinner had all the makings of a disaster. Sadly they were more concerned about Salazar starting something than Lord Gregory.

Продолжить чтение

Вам также понравится

Hard to Love You Natalia

Любовные романы

16.7K 564 35
Ashley has had a tough life. Mom walked out when she was eight. Dad became an abusive drunk towards her older brother, Daniel, and herself. Her broth...
Only The Brave Angela

Подростковая литература

65 9 9
Two houses, a child in each grew. At first, as friends, and then apart. With a spike to popularity, Jace is torn away from Darren just a few years be...
Blurring The Lines Jessica Myers

Любовные романы

29 0 7
After a traumatic end to her relationship, Jamie's moves to Chicago to start a new life with her best friend Ellie, leaving behind a complicated past...
True Love ElisabethWithAnS

Любовные романы

67 4 27
June thought her world and her circle were complete. Until one day she learns life is never tied up in a pretty little bow. Sometimes family and love...