The Enforcer's Daughter

By Skylinger

Tori likes her life. Being told by her father's Alpha she's being sent to represent their clan as a potential... More

Tell me this is a Joke
No one is happy
Unwanted Dinner
Not Safe After All
She's Mine
Stipulations and Concern
Not the typical first date
Blood of the Enforcer
Training Begins
Breaking Point
Very Sore
Unexpected Visitor
Viscount Cain
Not knowing
Dinner with the Enemy
Intervention and a Decision
A gift for Tori
A Party to Remember
Journey to the King
Past Love
Frustration in the air
Enlightened by Ken
The Tribunal
A Courting we shall go
The Bridge
Repercussions and Restitution
Wedding Plans
Keeping Quiet
The Wedding

Pool Party

32.1K 849 21
By Skylinger

Chapter Six

(Pool Party)

Nancy finished getting Teresa dressed and headed down to the pool. She was looking forward to meeting the girls that were potentials for her brother in law. She wanted to see how the experience would be for them and was curious how they would react to Teresa.

She knew not every girl would be comfortable around children but wanted to see if they would make an effort. Nancy also wanted to see who would try and use her daughter to gain attention and who would ignore the child completely. The woman also hoped the girls would at least be dressed decently. She could remember a few other girls in bikinis from when she’d been a potential for Trevor. Thong bikinis had been numerous.

The brown haired woman walked over and peered outside the window. She was pleased at counting eight ladies but rolled her eyes at a couple of the swimsuits. With a sigh she looked at Teresa. “Come on sweetie. Let’s go see uncle River.”

“Yeah!” The curly red haired child shouted excited, her pigtails bouncing with glee. Nancy smiled. There was no doubt the little girl adored her uncle. Nancy held out her hand and the little girl took it and they headed down stairs.

“Come on Mommy!” The little girl said pulling as they neared the door to the backyard. Nancy chuckled but complied walking a little faster. She opened the backdoor and the two headed out to the pool.

“Uncle River!” Teresa screamed and whipping her hand out of her mother’s went running to where the dark haired man stood in the shallow end of the pool.

River turned and seeing his niece knew she wouldn’t stop. Smiling at the carrot top he waited to catch her. Teresa barely hit the pool before launching herself into the air. He caught her moments later and she giggled.

The child hugged her uncle and he returned the hug. “You’re not supposed to run in the pool area.” River said gently.

“But I wanted you.”

“You could’ve gotten hurt!” A woman named Lori scolded. Her voice was sharp and not friendly towards the girl. “You’re just lucky River is strong enough to catch you.” Teresa suddenly took on a sad and almost scared face at the dark haired girl’s harsh words.

Nancy went to snap at the girl when she heard another voice. “Watch your mouth! She’s not your daughter and you have no reason to speak so rudely to her!” Tori snapped. Looking at the little girl she smiled warmly. “You must be the little ballerina your daddy mentioned the other night.” She’d noticed the girl looked like she would cry at Lori’s harshness and wanted to cheer her up. Teresa turned her eyes toward her. “You are too cute.” Teresa giggled and blushed into her uncle’s shoulder.

“Adorable!” A dark haired girl name Monique said quickly making her way over to the child. The woman touched the little girl as if soothing her but Tori noticed the girl flinch. She also noticed the woman was trying to be close to River.

River was less than sure what to do as the dark haired beauty began to insinuate herself with him and his niece. He was also very aware Teresa wasn’t comfortable and Monique was either oblivious to it or ignoring it.

“Hey Teresa want River to dive for you?” Nancy asked. She had noticed her brother in law’s discomfort and wanted to give him an out.

“Uh I would but…”

“I’ll hold the little darling.” Monique said smoothly and went to take her.

“No!” Teresa pouted and clung tighter to her uncle.

“How about if you jump in with your uncle?” Casey suggested in an attempt to be helpful.

“She can’t swim moron!” Lori said rolling her eyes.

“Either she can swim or she knows River would catch her.” Bridget said calmly.

“Can you swim?” Casey asked. She gave a very distinctive nod she could.

“Will you show us?” Tori asked.

“You want to see?” The redhead asked becoming excited.

“Absolutely.” Casey said.

“Okay. Let go!” The little girl ordered. River let her go and the pigtailed girl began to swim circles around him. The three women smiled and laughed as River got splashed a bit.

“Nice job kiddo.” Casey said, catching the little girl and instinctively pulling the child to her chest. “You did great!” The light brown haired girl praised.

“Can Casey hold you while your uncle River takes a dive?” Tori asked.

“Okay.”

“Thanks Tori.” River playfully grumbled. Making his way to the side of the pool he climbed out.

Nancy heard the name and immediately knew she was the woman that had found her daughter’s new music box. Nancy watched her and noticed that while she was nice to her daughter she didn’t try to claim her or take her from the other girl. The woman immediately noticed Tori was completely relaxed and calm; Teresa didn’t make the girl nervous in the least. The brunette quickly understood why her husband liked the girl.

Sitting down in a chair she continued to watch. Casey played with her daughter as did Bridget and Teresa clearly enjoyed the attention. Nancy quickly decided she did not like Lori in the least. She also did not like the way Monique had approached her daughter and River.

“Teresa here he goes.” Tori told her. River took a dive off the diving board and Teresa screamed with glee as he hit the water.

“Yeah!” River laughed and swam over to the little girl.

“You want the rest of them to dive for you?” Tori asked.

“Yeah!” The carrot top screamed.

Tori looked at the guys and smiled. “Why are we getting dragged into this?” Harper complained.

“Because Teresa wants you to.” Bridget replied.

“That makes...” Harper began.

“Please?” Tori, Bridget, and Casey said in unison while battling there eyelashes playfully at the group of guys.

“Alright.” Drew agreed. Teresa squealed in excitement causing River to laugh.

The girls watched as one after the other the guys dived off the board making the girl scream in excitement. Nancy laughed at the antics they were doing to make her little girl happy.

**

Lady Kendra sat quietly watching what was happening without the women even knowing. She had purposely placed herself at a table hidden by bushes. Her keen eyesight made it easy for her to see and hear them without them knowing.

She had become angry at Lori when she’d snapped at the child but Tori’s snap had caused her not to act. She watched each and every one of the girls. Lady Kendra quickly decided she’d have to tell River flat out no if he chose to keep Lori in the running. She wasn’t fond of Monique but she’d withhold judgment for now. Casey she found she liked as she was accepting of Bridgette.

The blonde woman who had spoken up for her grandchild made a very good impression on the woman. The way Tori reacted so quickly told her it was not the fact it was River’s niece that caused her to act. She had the feeling the green eyed girl was probably protective of children over all.

As the girls played with Teresa I between dives she noticed how Franchesca started trying to cling to her son. Lori tried as well. Both ignored the little girl completely. It was a girl named Claire and another named Rebecca that disappointed her the most. She had dined with both girls and they had seemed very nice. Today however they had shown up with a swim suit a hooker might use and were openly ignoring everyone but River. She rolled her eyes as the two would wink at him and give him suggestive looks.

Silently the woman was pleased she’d followed her oldest son’s suggestion. Not only of inviting the girls over but also of keeping hidden for a time to simply watch.

“What do you think?” Trevor asked sitting down next to his mother.

“I don’t like Lori. I can see why you don’t care for Franchesca. I’m very disappointed with Claire and Rebecca. They behaved so well at dinner.”

“Tori?”

Lady Kendra laughed. It was obvious who the man was rooting for. “Tori seems very nice. The girl appears very genuine and….So far I like her.” Trevor gave a small smile but his mother knew he was far happier than he was showing. “Casey and Bridgette seem nice too.”

“Yes they do,” Trevor admitted. He liked Tori best but would be fine with Casey or Bridgette at this time as well.

“I think I’ll make my presence known and see if anything changes.” Getting up, Lady Kendra walked back into the house through a side door to make herself appear to have just arrived.

A few minutes later Lady Kendra walked outside by means of the main back doors. “Hello everyone.”

“Hello Lady Kendra.” Everyone replied.

“Ah I see you’ve been diving for Teresa again.” She commented looking at the group of wet men.

“Yeah!” Teresa said and clapped her hands.

“Would you like the ladies to jump for you as well?” Lady Kendra inquired.

“Yeah!” Teresa said and clapped excitedly.

“Alright, but no comparing us to Bridgette, she is a diver.” Casey said with a mock grumble.

Tori laughed. “Bridgette goes last!” Bridgette laughed and nodded.

“Lady Kendra I just don’t think I can…” Rebecca began.

“Surely you didn’t wear a suit you couldn’t swim in.” The red haired woman interceded. “River can be very spontaneous.”

River internally smirked at the horror on more than one girl’s face.

“I just got my nails done!” Monique said unable to hide her horror.

Tori internally cringed for the French. The girl wasn’t French but her name was and the brunette was not giving the name a good reputation. She’d met several French girls she liked and knew not all French were shallow. “Don’t worry Monique, they're dry.” Tori announced and headed for the steps that would take her out of the pool.

Drew and Dustin snickered and looked at River who seemed to be trying not to openly laugh while Monique glared daggers at the back of the blonde’s head. Nancy however had to cover her mouth to keep herself from laughing out loud.

“Who wants to go first?” Tori questioned.

“Tori first!” Teresa yelled.

The woman laughed, her green eyes sparkling. “You’ll save me if I drown right?” Teresa laughed but also nodded. Casey and Bridgette laughed and this time so did Franchesca. “Here I go.” Tori walked the length of the board and jumping up made a reverse dive into the pool.

“Wow!” Teresa said in awe.

“Why did we let her go first?” Casey inquired.

“We didn’t.” Lori huffed as she crossed her arms.

“Nice one Tori!” Bridgette called to her as she reached the side.

“I’m sure it’ll be nothing compared to yours.” She called back. “Let’s see a twist.” Bridgette laughed and nodded. One after another the girls dived or jumped into the pool. Claire almost lost her top while both Lori and Rebecca almost lost the bottoms. Franchesca however did lose her top but grabbed it before anyone saw anything.

While the afternoon progressed Lady Kendra was surprised by how quickly some things had changed. The attitudes of Rebecca and Clair changed immediately and they became more respectful. Lori however continued to annoy her. Monique began quickly losing favor as well as she began to try and monopolize her attention.

“Excuse me Lady Kendra may I have a word with you?” Tori inquired walking up to where the woman sat at a table under an umbrella.

“Yes dear, you may.” The woman said getting up from her chair. “Let’s take a walk.” Tori smiled and the two walked away from the group.

“Better?” Tori asked once she knew no one would here her. Before the woman could ask she said, “It seemed to me you needed a break from a few of the others.”

“Usually I’m not easily read.” The woman commented as they walked.

“Actually I’m impressed you haven’t ordered them away from you.”

The redhead laughed at the blonde’s comment. “What did you want to talk to me about?”

“I actually only approached to give you a break, but now I guess there is something I’d like to ask you about.” Tori stopped walking and turned to face River’s mother. “I don’t know how much you know about me but…”

“You’re Warner’s daughter and you’ve been kept away from any Pack business.” The woman smiled seeing her surprise. “I like to know who I’m dealing with. Especially, when it comes to a potential member for this family.”

The blonde woman nodded. “I think we both know there is little chance of that. I’m not your son’s type and…”

“You’re not looking to get married.” Tori fell silent. “I’m aware you didn’t know until the other day that chances were high you would be arranged in a marriage.” The woman fought to control her amusement as she felt a sense of uneasiness come from the blonde woman for the first time.

“I …uh…don’t think I would make anyone a very good bride.”

“Tori, I understand you and your father are not comfortable about this. However this is something that will happen. I can guarantee you that by the end of the Unity Gathering you will be engaged. The only thing I don’t know for sure is whether or not it will be River.”

The woman sensed a feeling of dread in the girl. “Why don’t you want to marry?”

“I don’t feel like I need to. I’m still young, I have a great job, I…I like my life Lady Kendra. I always thought when I got married it would be to someone I love and that loved me.” The blonde woman explained. “Loveless marriages lead to affairs and…I don’t want that.”

“Affairs are not allowed,” Lady Kendra said flatly.

“They may be taboo but…”

“No Tori you don’t understand. A man or woman who is unfaithful is executed.” The red haired woman informed her. “There is no cheating and living.” She watched as the girl’s eyes widened in surprise.

Tori looked down at the stone path for a moment and then looked back up at her. “I’m really not going to get out of this am I?”

“No dear. You are true and have caught more than one person’s attention.”

“If you’re referring to Harper it’s a bad idea.”

Lady Kendra chuckled. “Yes well I meant besides him. You have a little while to learn to accept your fate. You will be betrothed and then have about six to twelve months before you will wed.”

“Yes my Lady.” Tori said sounding defeated.

“Come, it’s time to return.” Reluctantly the green eyed woman followed the Lady of the region and returned to the pool area.

As they neared the pool area there were three of the men with their backs to them standing at the edge of the pool. Tori couldn’t resist. Looking at Lady Kendra she put her finger to her lips and sneaking up behind the three men suddenly shoved them in before they could react.

Laughter erupted throughout the backyard as Drew, Dustin, and River came up from under the water.

“Who….Tori.” Drew said seeing her standing proudly at the side of the pool.

“Oh, did you get wet?” Her laughter died as she was suddenly thrown in the pool. Tori came up to the water’s surface and looking over saw a very guilty looking Lady Kendra.

Tori laughed. “I owe you one!” She called to her. Lady Kendra only smiled and walked down to other side of the pool where her granddaughter was sitting on the steps with Nancy.

Tori and the three men swam to the side of the pool before starting to climb out. Tori started to climb out when River reached down to help her. “Get a little wet?” He asked as she stepped on the side of the pool again.

The blonde woman smiled before suddenly shoving him back in the pool. River started falling when he grabbed her wrist and pulled the blonde woman back in the water with him.

“Brat!” She yelled at him in a mock scold.

“You started it.”

“I did no…Hey!” She said getting splashed by Drew. “Ooh!” She splashed back. Two minutes later the entire pool was engulfed in a water fight. Nancy had retreated with Lady Kendra and Teresa and the trio watched with clear amusement. No one else was safe. Even Trevor inadvertently ended up in the water war.

**

Lady Kendra waited until all of the girls and River’s friends were gone before calling a family meeting. The only exception was Lord Gregory whom had been called out of town on business.

“River, I’m putting my foot down where Lori is concerned!” Lady Kendra announced form her chair in the informal living room.

“No need mother. I’m not interested in her at all.” River assured them.

“I think you can strike that one off anyone’s list.” Trevor commented. The others nodded in agreement.

“Well I hope you aren’t striking Tori, Casey or Bridgette off the list.” Nancy remarked. “I liked all three of those girls.”

“I did too.” Kendra agreed. “I thought I liked Rebecca and Claire at dinner but…I’m very disappointed.”

“Daddy.” Trevor looked over to see his four year old daughter enter the room. “Can they play with me again?”

“Who honey?” Nancy asked.

“Tori, Casey, and Briggate.”

“Bridgette, sweetie.” Trevor gently corrected. “Like them did you?”

Red pigtails bobbed as she nodded. “They’re nice.”

“I’m sure you’ll see them again.” River assured his niece.

“Okay.” With that the little girl turned around and headed upstairs to play.

“Will she?” Nancy inquired as more of a taunt than a question.

“If I don’t choose one of them one of my friends are bound to.” River replied very matter of fact.

“Is something wrong?” Nancy asked noticing an almost sad expression cross her mother in law’s face.

“I feel somewhat guilty where Tori s concerned. The girl knows nothing and…she’s in for a lot of rude awakenings.” The woman sighed. “Part of me would like to backhand her father for keeping her so sheltered from our kind.”

“Warner loves his daughter to death. If there’s a way to get her out of this he’ll do it.” Trevor commented.

“No. Gregory will not let her out of this and to be quite honest neither will I.” Kendra said firmly. “She’s beautiful, smart, caring, and has very good genes. There’s no way that girl won’t be claimed. I know there are at least two gentlemen that wouldn’t mind being paired with her.”

River didn’t ask but looked away from everyone. Silently he wondered who his mother was referring to. The blue eyed man felt the urge to find out and tell whoever it was hands off. The brown haired man had no idea why he felt a tinge of territorialism over Tori but for some reason he did.

Looking back he saw more than one amused face. “What?”

“You just growled.” Nancy informed him.

“No I…”

“Yes you did.” Trevor informed his younger brother. “You growled over Tori, over the fact a couple of your friends wouldn’t mind taking her off your hands.”

“I get first choice!”

“No one is going to take Tori from you if she’s the one you want.” Lady Kendra assured her suddenly territorial son.

“Have you made your choice?” Nancy inquired.

“I don’t know.” River got up and walked around. “I mean she’s a nice girl and all but she isn’t my type.” He stopped moving around the room and sighed. “It shouldn’t bother me at all.”

“Tori may not be the look you normally go for but you do have a lot in common with her.” Trevor reminded him. “You both really like the outdoors and many of the same outdoor activities. She’s the only girl you’ve ever had any type of attraction to that actually likes to Kayak. She likes hiking and mountain biking. She’s gorgeous and isn’t afraid to get dirty and have fun. Give her brown hair and she is everything you want in a girl.”

“She likes to Kayak?” Nancy inquired. She smiled seeing her husband nod. Even Nancy had no desire to Kayak. “Why don’t you spend a little more time with her?”

“Spend a little time with Casey and Bridgette as well if you like.” Lady Kendra encouraged.

“When do I have to make my final decision?” River questioned.

“You need to do it as soon as possible but you have two weeks. If you can’t make the decision by then it will be made for you.” His mother told him. “No one else can select until you do. In fairness you need to choose by the third day of the Gathering. No one else has gotten to pull girls aside like you have and no one else will until you choose.”

“You can however go and see any of the girls on your own whenever you like.” Trevor informed him. “If you wanted to you could go see Tori or even Franchesca tomorrow if you wished.” The blonde man had to fight the urge to not completely spit the dark haired girl’s name.

“You really don’t like her.” Nancy commented.

“No I don’t. She’s rude and I didn’t like the way she ignored Teresa when Teresa tried to speak to her. I also don’t care for the way she talks to our servants.”

“I didn’t like it either. Franchesca is out of the running.” River said. Looking at Nancy he said, “I can’t marry someone that doesn’t like Teresa. She’s my niece and I love her.” Without another word he left the room and the meeting.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

102K 986 7
It all started with a dare . SEXUAL CONTENT / MATURE LANGUAGE . Read at your own risk . Ps Yes there will be spelling mistakes...
194K 4.7K 22
Tori is 17 and moves in with her mom's new husband and his 18 year old son. But after spending the summer with them, she notices that her new step-br...
193K 4.3K 49
REWRITE IN PROGRESS - look for chapters titled: REWRITE Because every good werewolf writer needs a rejection story!! Tori is a nobody. Chad, her ma...
4.4K 138 32
A boy Erin and his best friend that love each other and wont tell each other go through hardships that can change the dynamic of their friendships. J...